Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:02 PM

85 posts, read 368,960 times

Advertisements

So about 6 months ago I started to have pretty bad chest pain and it continued for a couple of days. After a few days I went to the ER and they confirmed I was not having a heart attack. About a week later I went to a cardiologist and they did a stress test and all the stuff, and confirmed it was not my heart. I once again have intermittent pain in my chest, more of a tightness pain then anything. It happens at random times, sitting on the couch, after dinner, at work, whatever.

I'm 29, maybe 30lbs overweight, but overall in decent health (or so I thought). I would looove any ideas or recommendations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 09:08 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,787,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James202 View Post
So about 6 months ago I started to have pretty bad chest pain and it continued for a couple of days. After a few days I went to the ER and they confirmed I was not having a heart attack. About a week later I went to a cardiologist and they did a stress test and all the stuff, and confirmed it was not my heart. I once again have intermittent pain in my chest, more of a tightness pain then anything. It happens at random times, sitting on the couch, after dinner, at work, whatever.

I'm 29, maybe 30lbs overweight, but overall in decent health (or so I thought). I would looove any ideas or recommendations

you paid money to the ER and a cardiologist. If they couldn't give a concrete answer, what makes you think non medical CD members online would know what's wrong?
Go back to your cardiologist is my recommendation

Old 05-18-2012, 09:11 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,920 times
Don't you have a primary care doctor?

Go see them.

The most common cause? Most likely GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux or "heartburn"), which worsens when you carry extra weight. Usually certain foods set it off, like greasy foods/large meals/alcohol. Watch for triggers, don't eat late at night/before bed.

But there are lots of causes. So you should see your doc.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 PM

85 posts, read 368,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
you paid money to the ER and a cardiologist. If they couldn't give a concrete answer, what makes you think non medical CD members online would know what's wrong?
Go back to your cardiologist is my recommendation
haha that is a good point, maybe for the reassurance that I'm not dying while I type this message since I ruled out my heart. I'm going to be out of town for a few weeks, so it will be a while before I can get back to my primary doc.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:26 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times
I had severe chest pains and thought I was having a heart attack, too. It was so bad I took myself to the ER. They did all the tests, etc, nothing wrong with my heart. But the cardio doc referred me to a GI--gasteroenterologist (sp). He did a scope, found my esophageous (sp) was severely erroded. He put me on some meds, including Prevacid, for about 6 months, then did another scope, found I had "healed". Now I take ocassional Prevacid if I feel any chest pains, but otherwise have not had any problems since. Prevacid is now OTC, its cheapest at Costco.

My advice, since you've already had your heart checked out, just try Prevacid for about a month. GI doctors, tests, scopes, etc are expensive, even with insurance. If Prevacid helps, that's your problem!

They told me heart attacks and GI attacks feel the same because they affect the same nerve pathways.

Good Luck!

Oh, also, Prevacid "therapy"---take 2x day EVERY day for at least a month, not just when you feel pains.

Last edited by MaryleeII; 05-18-2012 at 10:09 PM..

Old 05-18-2012, 11:31 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Sounds like it could be reflux.

When my reflux gets out of control it causes a lot of inflammation in the chest area....feels tight like a cardiovascular problem.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:20 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
sounds like acid reflux or maybe a panic attack?

Old 05-19-2012, 07:11 AM

32 posts, read 154,040 times
I am 49 and was having chest pains on the right side a couple of years ago...I would just suddenly have a sharp pain for a second and then nothing for a day or two and then it would happen again...I went to Dr and they did all the heart tests and could not find anything and after 1 month they gave up and suggested a chiropractor...I dont trust them but went to one and he said I had a build up of air or oxygen somewhere in my back and cracked it 2-3 times... I never went back but I have to admit that I never had the chest pains again...

Old 05-19-2012, 07:51 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
Have you had an angiogram? I have and it's a relatively simple procedure.

A friend of mine had chest pains for years and went to the ER several times because of it. They never found anything wrong and her cardiologist ran several tests and found nothing wrong either. However, he didnt do an angiogram.

Earlier this year she had another bout of severe chest pains and died in the ambulance on the way to the ER. She was only 50 years old, was not overweight at all and lived a healthy, active lifestyle -- but an autopsy revealed that one of her arteries was totally blocked. An angiogram would have shown that. (I dont know why her stress test didnt.)

I dont want to alarm you and, chances are, your chest pains arent due to a blocked cardiac artery. But it's always better to find out sooner than later.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:56 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,238 times
I had a horrible pain under my breast bone that turned out to be gallstones. It was probably the worst pain I have ever had - broke out in a sweat, lasted about 10 or 15 minutes. Just a thought to have that checked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness