U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 04:55 AM

31,602 posts, read 12,729,863 times

Advertisements

By the time I'm thirsty, I'm already dehydrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 07:53 AM

31,262 posts, read 57,461,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
Think what you wish, but I do NOT believe for a minute that it's an old wives tale!
Agreed. 64 oz. of water every day is not a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Now the recommendation for adults typically is to drink half your body weight in ounces each day. For a 100 pound person that's 50oz and for a 200 pound person it'd be 100oz. It's just a guideline - like all the other food recommendations a day.
Thanks! Another guideline I've read is to go by the color of your urine -- it should be a very pale yellow. If it's not, you need to drink more water.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:58 AM

2,222 posts, read 9,162,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Another guideline I've read is to go by the color of your urine -- it should be a very pale yellow. If it's not, you need to drink more water.
Agree. I've been told this is the new guideline. The color should be so light that you could read the newspaper through it. I drink about 6-8 glasses of water a day and mine is clear.

If your urine is dark yellow, you need to drink more water.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:17 PM

19,651 posts, read 53,649,862 times
Another symptom of dehydration is leg cramps. If your foot or leg cramps, it's way past time to drink some water.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:20 PM

31,262 posts, read 57,461,137 times
I just feel better when I drink at least a half-gallon of water a day. My skin isn't dry and flaky and has better tone, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Agree. I've been told this is the new guideline. The color should be so light that you could read the newspaper through it.
I wonder how you go about measuring this ...

Old 05-25-2012, 01:40 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,127,847 times
I read a few months ago that as you age, I'm 57, the message that you need water is delayed so it is easier to dehydrate plus the fact that skin is thinning and that has to increase moisture loss. I don't know if it is true but they claim a lot of people misread the thirsty signal and feel it is hunger so they suggested drinking some water to see if that extended the time before you ate something. What most people eat, especially many dealing with obesity, doesn't contain that much moisture. That clear liquid dripping from your burger and fries is grease and the sugary soda will only make matters worse.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:18 PM

6,460 posts, read 6,481,769 times
I'm an old wife and I believe it!

Old 05-26-2012, 12:19 AM

326 posts, read 572,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Old wives tale, repeatedly debunked:

In an invited review published online by the American Journal of Physiology August 8, Dr. Valtin, the Vail and Hampers professor emeritus of physiology at Dartmouth Medical School, reports no supporting evidence to back this popular counsel, commonly known as "8 x 8" (for eight, eight-ounce glasses).

Geisel School of Medicine - 'Drink at Least 8 Glasses of Water a Day' - Really?

So the op's article said that because a woman drank herself to death for a radio show contest that 8 cups a day is wrong (great connection there) and now this article featuring a retired kidney research who did a pubmed search on "water and kidneys" and concluded what were probably his previously conceived notions that water is unimportant - based on this let's just throw out 8X8?
To me there doesn't seem to be much in the research either way on it - I would love to see some research on whether "8x8" reduces inflammation or alleviates obesity. Whether it is actually doing something or whether its all placebo - it makes me feel better and drinking that much water does not take much effort at all so I think I'll keep doing it.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:45 AM

9,482 posts, read 15,076,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Another symptom of dehydration is leg cramps. If your foot or leg cramps, it's way past time to drink some water.

My DS 15 complains of lower leg and foot cramps. Last visit to the doc, he said exactly ^^^

Since DS constantly drinks soda, and very little water, well, there you go. Where does he get the soda? Well, he's not my "baby" any more, he gets around, and constantly buys soda.

Well, at least I have doumentation to "what does the doctor say?" He says to drink water!

Old 05-27-2012, 12:56 AM

38,725 posts, read 45,198,973 times
Here's what Dr Ben Kim has to say about drinking water and maybe too much water.
Why Drinking Too Much Water Is Dangerous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness