U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 03:57 PM

494 posts, read 1,533,637 times

Advertisements

Why Drinking Too Much Water Is Dangerous

Drinking excessive water is bad for your system and particularly taxing on your kidneys... moral of the story - drink water only when your body asks for it via your thirst mechanism. DO NOT DRINK 8 GLASSES OF WATER - it is this kind of misinformed medicine that eventually does more harm than good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 PM

38,684 posts, read 45,045,110 times
2-8 oz glasses of water are the most for me on any given day, plus at times a couple of beers helps...

Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,369,507 times
I think, because of modern convenience, drinking a lot of water may be good for flushing toxins out of your system . . .BUT . . .the "medical advice" to drink eight glasses of water per day is ABSURD.

Do you think Cave People had access to eight glasses of water per day? Indigenous peoples of the world? No - What makes me angry about this issue is that people are so dumb to just accept whatever they are told is "true," without question.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:22 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,720,764 times
Old wives tale.....yes, water is important, but you are getting fluids from foods and other drinks. So, there's no need to force yourself to drink if you aren't thirsty! Unless you're doing strenuous activity in very hot conditions, your body will tell you when you need to drink!

Water doesn't flush anything from your body....toxins are eliminated in your waste naturally....sure, you may urinate more, but that's how the body works!

Old 05-24-2012, 01:35 PM

5,891 posts, read 11,086,219 times
I cannot believe what I'm reading here. I just did a presentation on the importance of adequate water two weeks ago and did a lot of research in putting it together. As critical as water is to our bodies and what all the lack of water can do to our various cells, et cetera, I have myself changed my ways and started hydrating more.

I do not think 8 8-oz. glasses a day is too much. And, for some people, I doubt even that is enough for their optimal health.

I do agree, however, that you get fluids from other drinks. But if, for example, those other drinks are caffeinated coffee and sodas, which have a dehydrating effect, you need to drink more water (on top of the 8 glasses) to make up for it. A lot of foods contain a lot of water, which can add to the totals, but I wonder how many people regularly eat those foods.

Think what you wish, but I do NOT believe for a minute that it's an old wives tale!

Old 05-24-2012, 02:33 PM

19,632 posts, read 53,495,108 times
According to one of my doctors, this originated during WWII, when they were trying to figure out what soldiers needed to stay healthy. It did not count fluid found in foods and is only a guesstimate. Think about eating watermelons - lots of fluid in them.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:42 PM

13,755 posts, read 23,220,542 times
Old wives tale, repeatedly debunked:

In an invited review published online by the American Journal of Physiology August 8, Dr. Valtin, the Vail and Hampers professor emeritus of physiology at Dartmouth Medical School, reports no supporting evidence to back this popular counsel, commonly known as "8 x 8" (for eight, eight-ounce glasses).

Geisel School of Medicine - 'Drink at Least 8 Glasses of Water a Day' - Really?

Old 05-24-2012, 09:34 PM

20,298 posts, read 15,642,764 times
Drink as much as your body needs. The more active you are, or the hotter it is, the more water you need. You do get a lot of water from the food you eat, but you also want to be sure you are drinking enough water as well. If you live in a hot desert climate, eight glasses may not be enough. In a cooler climate you may not need that much. I would think that the larger your body size, the more water you require. Just use some common sense. I think it would be better to error on the side of getting a little more than you need, than to error on the side of getting too little.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:33 AM

16,474 posts, read 20,009,944 times
I was continually stressed out about this, am I getting my 8 glasses of water a day, until my Mexican roommate moved in 13 years ago. And, mind you, this is the desert, where it's easy to dehydrate yourself.

Most of his work is outside, in these blazing 100-110 degree summer days, and trying to be a good "mother" I am forever trying to get him to take along some water for the day. No thanks! At the end of the day, he has a couple of beers, as well as a lot of fruit. It's all a big mystery to me, why doesn't keel over at work in the summertime here!!!

He's talked of his earlier forays into the country, crossing into the desert of Arizona, long-long treks, with very little water. Perhaps they're made of different material down there, who knows!! He's now 55, and in superb physical condition!

So! The stress of not drinking 8 glasses of water a day is over!

Old 05-25-2012, 03:05 AM

15,616 posts, read 9,160,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Why Drinking Too Much Water Is Dangerous

Drinking excessive water is bad for your system and particularly taxing on your kidneys... moral of the story - drink water only when your body asks for it via your thirst mechanism. DO NOT DRINK 8 GLASSES OF WATER - it is this kind of misinformed medicine that eventually does more harm than good.
Yes, excessive fluid can be dangerous but 64oz of fluid a day isn't excessive for healthy adults. It's not even excessive for most unhealthy adults - unless they have particular illnesses associated with heart/blood pressure or kidney function.

Now the recommendation for adults typically is to drink half your body weight in ounces each day. For a 100 pound person that's 50oz and for a 200 pound person it'd be 100oz. It's just a guideline - like all the other food recommendations a day. If you look at those nutrient guidelines, it'd be pretty hard to get 100% of everything recommended on a daily basis and still meet your caloric goal and have variety in your diet. There's no need to be so rigid about it - it usually works out in the end. It's my guess that otherwise healthy adults are more likely to experience dehydration than overhydration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness