U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:34 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,341,840 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Couple of weeks ago, I noticed a red "pimple" ( what I thought was a pimple ) on one knee. I just thought it would go away within days. Then, I got another "pimple looking thing" on my other knee. As days went by, those "pimples" got a bit red, started itching like crazy, and got hard - almost like hard bumps. Now, I have couple of them on each knee. I've never seen anything like this. Does anyone know what those red bumps are/how do you get them? I plan to visit a dermatologist, but my appointment is in over 2 weeks. Thanks for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 12:52 AM

23,595 posts, read 22,560,173 times
Maybe scabies?

Old 05-26-2012, 12:53 AM

699 posts, read 1,831,349 times
the 1st 2 things that come to mind from the pic is allergic reaction to something
you kneeled upon, or common warts.

i might be inclined to send the pic to the derm's office and see what they have to say.
maybe it's something that they'd want to see you earlier for, which is a bad and a good thing
all at once.

hope someone else has more knowledge for you.
feel better.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:30 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,809,330 times
I get them sometimes when I've been kneeling, especially on a rough or hard surface, and other times they come randomly (as far as I can remember). I did see a dermatologist a long time ago about this and other skin issues, but she wasn't much help. It's not bad enough for me to bother going to see another doctor about it. Sometimes I use cortisone spray if the itching is really driving me nuts, mostly I just wait for it to go away again.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:01 PM

4,801 posts, read 10,700,996 times
Looks like contact dermatitis which is what poison ivy causes along with other plants/allergens....

Old 05-26-2012, 04:00 PM

4,904 posts, read 7,824,434 times
You can check the info and pics at this site and see if anything matches your symptoms. Also if you can't wait the 2 weeks for a dermo appt , why not see your primary doctor; or a walk-in urgent care clinic ??

Skin Rashes and Itch | skinsight

Old 05-29-2012, 08:16 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,341,840 times
Thank you all for your ideas/guesses. I noticed for the past three days, that hydrocortisone cream would help me and bring the itchiness/redness down, and the bumps would appear smaller. Then, when I would kneel down on the carpet to play with my daughter, my bumps would get red/irritated again. I never had that problem before, so maybe my dog brought something in? I vacuum three times a week, but maybe it's something that's a bit harder to get out. It's interesting that my husband/daughter don't have these bumps. Justthe2ofus - thanks for the idea, I e-mailed my pic to the derm this morning.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:36 PM

699 posts, read 1,831,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
Then, when I would kneel down on the carpet to play with my daughter, my bumps would get red/irritated again.
it is possible that that the carpet contains a fiber or chemical that is an allergen/irritant for you. some people are sensitive to the chemicals in
carpeting (formaldehyde or other color preservatives or even the dye itself).

please update the thread and let us know what you find.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:48 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,809,330 times
I really think it's the mechanical irritation. I get it from all different surfaces, whether my knees are covered or not. My knees are the most common place to get it, but sometimes other parts of my body get rashes, and often, not always, I've put pressure on them, or something has rubbed on them. I break out on my hand sometimes after opening a bottle with a ridged plastic cap, for instance. But other times these things don't bother me.
I'll be interested to hear what your doctor says. The one I saw years ago tried to tell me I had dermatographia, but when she couldn't make a rash appear on me by scraping me lightly with her fingernail, she just seemed perplexed and I don't remember what she said, except, that she didn't give me any medicine or advice to help.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 58,672 times
Just wondering what the outcome was on this. My 6 year old daughter has this on one knee. Im not sure if we should go to the dermatologist. Wanted to see what you endeup doing. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness