U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 57,230,832 times

Advertisements

Nothing drives me nuts is when I have an accident that needs stiches and such and I go into emergency room holding the wound shut with a towel and have to wait for my turn due to other people who are there for a cold or fever headache or normal back pain.

Then when you get called back they sit you on a gurney and wait some more.

My heart goes out to those who are terminally ill and I offer lots of praise to the nurses and doctors who work in this institution but it called emergency for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 12:32 PM

21,902 posts, read 20,899,510 times
Ah yes, but many insurances and welfare cover more if the problems are taken to the emergency rooms. It's not a good situation because as you siad there are many very ill or injured people waiting to be seen. It's a sad state of affairs.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:36 PM

16,487 posts, read 20,337,485 times
Doesn't Ugent Care facilities care for things such as stitches? They are cheaper and far less of a wait than an emergency room.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:46 PM

3,161 posts, read 7,885,204 times
Yup, the uninsured know they can get care at the ER. The hospital can't turn them away while a regular PCP or general Practitioner in private practice can. Fix the US healthcare system and the ERs will go back to being run the way they were meant.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:26 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,689,364 times
I think a friend of mine has the right idea.

He was stabbed in the leg during a mugging where he resisted and beat up the robber. An ambulance arrived to take him to the ER. EMT's stabilized him with bandages and gave him a towel to stop the bleeding. He waited for about three hours to see an ER tech who stitched him up.

While he waited, he observed that more serious cases that could be life-threatening--gunshot wounds, heavy bleeding, extreme trauma were taken care of first while the non-life-threatening injuries were treated on a first-come, first-serve basis. At first he was annoyed because he thought his wound was more serious than a bad cough or chronic pain, but as time went on, he realized that if they took people by seriousness of wounds, people in need of real help--even if their lives were not threatened--would never get any attention as new cases needing stitches, casts, or whatever arrived.

He said, in the end, though he was annoyed by the long wait, he said it was gratifying to know that there was somewhere he could go and get help for any serious condition, even if he wasn't carrying his ID or insurance, or anything.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:52 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,526,733 times
They do it because they dont have a primary care physician, OR, the Primary care physician cannot get them into the office that day.

What they see as an emergency, couch, etc, is not, above some of the other things that the drs have to see in the office, and then these people go to ER. With a million people with them.

When a true emergency comes in, it will be seen before the cough/cold.

I had chest pains, and I was taken right back, with a waiting room full of people last December and Hospitalized the next day...

Old 09-21-2007, 04:03 PM

4,268 posts, read 13,713,973 times
I never knew if it was true or not but I hear the same thing: a lot of people go to the ER b'c they don't have medical insurance. ERs can't deny them care I guess.

I've never been to the ER (*knock on wood*) but I would hate to be around all these sick people! I respect this line of work tremendously -especially more so nowdays 'cuz you see a lot of shows chronicalling their lives. It's amazing what they go through.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:40 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,158,807 times
As a mother of two boys, I have spent my time in the emergency room.
And yes, uninsured people will go there for the care they need.
I do not begrudge them.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:20 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,978,630 times
I worked in the ER for a while and I do think a lot of uninsuried people use it, as said before. I also feel that a lot of people don't understand what the ER is for! There are doctors offices and Urgent cares for the less urgent. Some people just don't get it.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:45 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,285,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Doesn't Ugent Care facilities care for things such as stitches? They are cheaper and far less of a wait than an emergency room.
The one closest to us wouldn't do them when my husband cut his hand. They also don't have good hours, at least around here. However, for some other minor illnesses and injuries, they can be a really great place to go and are indeed much cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or