U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 PM

61 posts, read 168,632 times

Advertisements

Thanks all, I will try the suggestions. I think because I drink mostly water that tea and coffee just have a strong taste for me that takes getting used to. Coffee isn't an option because by the time I doctor it up then it's mostly milk and sugar with a dash of coffee so doesn't seem like a healthy start to the day. I've tried a few more and it seems like I do better with plain black, white, and green teas that aren't flavored, though a couple of cups too close together makes me jittery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 01:18 PM

10,863 posts, read 18,902,231 times
You can also buy green tea capsules, if you're wanting the health benefits of drinking green tea without having to drink it, or wanting a little bit of caffeine.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:48 PM

5,905 posts, read 5,081,559 times
I use Truvia in my teas, which is a combination of stevia and erythritol. I found the flavor of straight stevia to be extremely unpleasant.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:25 PM

15,172 posts, read 15,218,690 times
I drink it black/green.....straight up.

For me, sugar or any other carbs blunts the stimulant effect of caffeine.......can't have that.

Frankensweeteners...............yikes, gives me dynamic winds and bloating for about a day. Gets so bad that I will make a mess of my panties.....have to throw them away.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:42 PM

58 posts, read 172,179 times
I just started using a tiny bit of Truvia, although I prefer a small amount of agave nectar

Old 06-04-2012, 08:37 PM

21,417 posts, read 29,542,083 times
I drank hot green tea with a lot honey and 3 teaspoons of Splenda.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:33 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,286,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling Gal View Post
I am a reluctant tea drinker. I don't drink coffee either, but as I get older it's harder to get going in the morning. I turned to tea to kill two birds with one stone: 1) put a little pep in my step and 2) the touted health benefits. So far green tea with a little lemon (or some sort of citrus) and honey is the only one tea that I like. I've tried black, white, dandelion, various herbals, jasmine (blech!), cinnamon, and peppermint, but lemon and honey just doesn't do the trick for all of these and mostly I just choke them down and am glad when it's over.

How do you all sweeten (short of adding sugar) or cut the bitterness in your teas?
Just wondering - maybe it's the quality of tea that you are buying or the preperation? Once I switched to correctly steeping and buying quality whole tea leaves - I began to enjoy tea alot more.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:44 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,636,559 times
The only tea that I drink, is the tea that I -like.- I don't drink teas I don't like, I just don't see any point. There are plenty of other foods that contribute to good health, that you don't have to force-feed yourself tea, ever.

My personal preference for commercial tea, is good old fashioned orange pekoe, which is what you find in a Lipton teabag (though I do like loose tea better than pre-packaged bagged tea). With honey and lemon. Downside: it gives me digestive upset and I feel nauseated after drinking it. So I rarely drink it, except when I'm in a rare tea-drinking mood.

My favorite special-made tea, is loose black tea, with a tiny bit of powdered cardamom. No cream, sugar, honey, milk, lemon, anything. Just black, and piping hot. This tea doesn't give me any digestive upset at all, and it's exquisite and delicious, as is.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:10 AM

852 posts, read 2,477,212 times
I use a big cup and 2 teabags - 1 green and one Mint medley, no sweetner. It's good warm or cold. Since I've mostly phased out sweetners, I drink my coffee black too these days too, something I thought I'd NEVER do.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:57 AM

6,044 posts, read 21,135,535 times
I add sugar and milk to my orange pekoe. You might try it with just milk and see if that helps. Be sure to let it cool a bit first; I find that occasionally if I add milk when it is still super hot, the milk curdles a bit. Maybe milk and honey would do it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness