Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:27 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times

Advertisements

I've been reading about essential high blood pressure. It seems the medical field doesn't really know what causes it--it can be caused by many different elements. Including your adrenal glands putting out too much hormone. Treatment seems to be a shot in the dark--with some people taking three or more medications to control it -- sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

Even with normal weight, lots of exercise, a low-sodium diet, eating lots of vegetables and little meat, no smoking, and yoga, I still have high blood pressure -- even with current medication (lisonopril). And it's proving hard to control.

My spouse, on the other hand, eating the same diet, and getting somewhat less exercise, has normal BP.

Feeling kind of frustrated. Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 01:20 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,424 times
My spouse and I are in a very similar boat only we're almost the reverse on the medical side. My personal view is that we don't have quite the handle on what causes high blood pressure as we think we do.

Like you, we eat the same things, etc and her weight is normal, exercise quite good and yet her BP is high. They've yet to give her medication for it but she is having to keep a daily BP log.

Then you have me. My thyroid shut down and went without treatment for a long while. I was barely able to move for more than 10 minutes at a time when they diagnosed it. Every vital sign I had was through the roof, from weight to cholesterol to liver levels, all except blood pressure. It was near perfect.

I'm still working to get the weight off I put on during all of the above but no matter how crazy my other vitals may be, my blood pressure is astonishingly good. Every doctor and nurse I have comments on it. Why is it so good? I don't have a clue. My doctor's are honest enough to admit they don't either.

If you're already doing everything right, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure doctors everywhere just gasped but really, you can only do so much.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:12 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
It was not that long ago doctors would drain people's blood in an attempt to cure them of many ailments. They still remove organs such as a gallbladder (as a cure for gallstones). "Not working right, well just remove it!"

Glad we don't do that for our cars... Brakes not working - remove them!

Or diarrhea - they give you medicine to stop the diarrhea. Note there may be toxins your body is trying to get rid of and a bit of diarrhea may be a good thing - flush it out of your system. Why stop your body from doing that?

So yes medical science has a LONG way to go. Currently they frequently tend to treat symptoms and don't do anything to solve the root cause of problems. Or try to determine what the root cause of the problem is.

So far as high blood pressure - seems to me a bit of a "plumbing background" might be a new way to think about these things. Plumbing deals with various pressures, restrictions, pressure regulators, etc.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
It was not that long ago doctors would drain people's blood in an attempt to cure them of many ailments. They still remove organs such as a gallbladder (as a cure for gallstones). "Not working right, well just remove it!"

Glad we don't do that for our cars... Brakes not working - remove them!

Or diarrhea - they give you medicine to stop the diarrhea. Note there may be toxins your body is trying to get rid of and a bit of diarrhea may be a good thing - flush it out of your system. Why stop your body from doing that?

So yes medical science has a LONG way to go. Currently they frequently tend to treat symptoms and don't do anything to solve the root cause of problems. Or try to determine what the root cause of the problem is.

So far as high blood pressure - seems to me a bit of a "plumbing background" might be a new way to think about these things. Plumbing deals with various pressures, restrictions, pressure regulators, etc.
Your post made me smile, Mr. Billy. I am now on a hunt for a liquid plumber I can take with no ill effects to unclog my pipes...maybe beet or carrot juice will do the trick?? Open to other suggestions. I have started a new eating campaign to add in lots of foods with potassium which is supposed to help lower high BP. We'll see, fingers crossed.

My brother is on 3 different types of BP meds to control his resistant high BP...I don't want to go there.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
HBP is usually due mostly to genetics.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
HBP is usually due mostly to genetics.
Darn...I want new genetics...

Old 04-05-2014, 11:29 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Your post made me smile, Mr. Billy. I am now on a hunt for a liquid plumber I can take with no ill effects to unclog my pipes...maybe beet or carrot juice will do the trick?? Open to other suggestions. I have started a new eating campaign to add in lots of foods with potassium which is supposed to help lower high BP. We'll see, fingers crossed.

My brother is on 3 different types of BP meds to control his resistant high BP...I don't want to go there.
You might want to consider celery. A pharmacist suggested it to my husband (when he mentioned he wanted to get off BP meds), 3 stalks/day, she recommended blended (for convenience), but DH eats it raw (looks like "Bugs Bunny" walking around in AM - crunch, crunch). When he does it, his BP drops, noticeably.

I'm borderline so I want to try it - but 3 stalks....

Old 04-05-2014, 02:20 PM

Wonder if the celery works as well if you juice it? I know it's a mild diuretic...

Old 04-06-2014, 02:51 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
When I was first told my BP was sky high ... it was back in the late 80s.. I went to yoga, aerobics twice a week, didnnt smoke, didnt eat fatty fried foods, hardly drank alcohol and wasnt overweight.. so the doctor seemed a bit baffled as he couldnt get it under control with pills. so I attended a hospital for over a year , I was sent to a dietician nurse who was over 18stones, telling me the best foods to eat.. I sat there wondering iwhat was going on..... they dont know for sure and the first question is always..... How many cigarettes do you smoke a day, after that they look for any reason... I tried to tell the doctors that I have chemical allerigies or sensitivities and I believe that this plays a big part in what goes on... they didnt listen.. Stress plays a big part in many illnesses though so might be the cause..

Old 04-06-2014, 02:31 PM

Following the tip from Zelva (above) and reading more about how celery can lower high BP, I've just launched a celery-eating experiment...I'll report back after a few weeks (or sooner) on my results. I'm curious to see if it will work for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness