U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 AM

19,639 posts, read 53,524,973 times

Advertisements

My first endocrinologist entirely missed my thyroid nodules, even after a thyroid biopsy. He took a wait-and-see attitude. I changed doctors. The next endo diagnosed me with toxic multi nodular goiter in 5 min., based on the lab reports I brought. I had the radioactive iodine treatment (doesn't hurt at all) and now take leveothyroxine.

The symptoms of under- and over-active thyroid overlap to an amazing extent! i was positive I had an under-active thyroid and had been on supplements way back but I had an over-active one. Change doctors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 09:18 PM

3,653 posts, read 7,266,735 times
I don't know what to tell you, I have hypo after Grave's, I feel fine on Levoxyl.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:44 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,374,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
I don't know what to tell you, I have hypo after Grave's, I feel fine on Levoxyl.
Me too, except I'm on some generic.

Never wanted to take the pig med due to issues with animal contamination.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:08 PM

72,755 posts, read 64,203,456 times
Your doc isn't helping you. He/she won't even give you the time your case deserves. If you can afford it, find a doctor who is off insurance. They know a lot more and may order different tests than you've had so far. That's great that you don't have elevated anti-bodies.

How long have you had fatigue? How is your sleep? Do you snore, or have sleep apnea? Are you able to get up at a normal hour in the morning, or do you need to take an extended time to gather your strength to get out of bed? Have you experienced any trauma in the time before your symptoms became noticeable? Thyroid problems can be tied to weak adrenal glands. The adrenal glands can become weak due to chronic stress and/or severe stress due to a traumatic incident, surgery, job loss or job change, or a move. Has your doc tested other aspects of your endocrine system?

P.S. I didn't have good luck with prescription thyroid for my Hashimoto's. I found a product online, under the brand name "Vaxa" that gave me surprisingly good results. Vaxa "Thyroid formula" it's called.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:38 PM

910 posts, read 1,799,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
Thanks for the info. I will check this site out. At one time I was taking Levoxyl + T3, I'm now on 95mcg of Armour. I have heard that selenium is a necessary supplement especially for thyroid issues and am now taking it.

Thanks!
You're welcome! Perhaps you still need another increase of Armour (if you're tolerating well), if you can't change doctors perhaps you should ask about that.

And a word of caution, just because you don't show antibodies that doesn't necessarily rule out Hashimoto's as you can read at Stopthethyroidmadness.com. When I was tested in 2000 or 2001 I was "negative" (but borderline high), so it was "ruled out", however, I became sure, beyond the shadow of any doubt that's what I have because not only my mother and other relatives have had it (and it can be hereditary) but I've had thyroiditis attacks with very obvious swelling, I just recently had my second since October of last year and each time I can't sleep on my side because the swelling compresses my windpipe and I get "apnea" attacks. Btw, these thyroiditis attacks didn't start until many years after I became hypothyroid, btw, and perhaps there's people who never have them either.

One thing I learned is that there's a relationship between celiac (gluten intolerance), which my father had and is also hereditary, and autoimmune thyroid and/or adrenal disease and other autoimmune illnesses. I guess I could say I was in denial for a long time although I knew wheat, in particular, was not good for me for different reasons, but even when I abstained for months I would eventually eat it again. Well, I now have become convinced my cheating is what has precipitated my last 3 thyroiditis attacks in the past 2 years, and also helped deplete my adrenal glands. So if you (or anyone else reading this) have any symptoms that don't ever get better like fatigue and/or depression, any digestive problems, seemingly unrelated aches and pains, look in that direction and do some reading about it
just in case. I recently started going to an adrenal fatigue forum and saw a post of someone who just discovered her own connection to gluten intolerance, but for each of us who have found out there are dozens of people suffering unnecessarily for years because they haven't heard of it.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:43 PM

791 posts, read 2,644,049 times
I will definitely get a second opinion even if it means driving 2 hours to get one. I just want a doctor that cares and really listens.

I only tried Armour because of so many people on forums and in books raved about it and said it changed their life.I wish I could say the same for me.

Ruth4truth:
I don't have any sleep issues but I too wonder about my adrenals. My Doctor doesn't like to do any tests except T4 and TSH she is very resistant to thinking outside the box.
I will check out that product your recommend.
Thanks

TiredofSFL:
I have heard that some feel great once they make that final increase in medication, but it does make me nervous but hey I guess I don't have much to lose at this point (except more hair ).
Good to know about Hashimoto's.
I recently was advised to try a gluten free diet due to stomach issues I have been dealing with for years.
Thanks

Old 06-01-2012, 04:38 PM

19,639 posts, read 53,524,973 times
You need a complete thyroid panel. You doc only ordered 2 of either 4 or 5 tests, cannot remember exactly. Get a new doc!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:34 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,203,476 times
Armour did not work for me at all. I switched to synthroid & felt marvelous after only a matter of days.

What was your TSH before & after meds?

Good luck in getting the balance right.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:00 PM

910 posts, read 1,799,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
I will definitely get a second opinion even if it means driving 2 hours to get one. I just want a doctor that cares and really listens.

I only tried Armour because of so many people on forums and in books raved about it and said it changed their life.I wish I could say the same for me.

Ruth4truth:
I don't have any sleep issues but I too wonder about my adrenals. My Doctor doesn't like to do any tests except T4 and TSH she is very resistant to thinking outside the box.
I will check out that product your recommend.
Thanks

TiredofSFL:
I have heard that some feel great once they make that final increase in medication, but it does make me nervous but hey I guess I don't have much to lose at this point (except more hair ).
Good to know about Hashimoto's.
I recently was advised to try a gluten free diet due to stomach issues I have been dealing with for years.
Thanks
Unfortunately, there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to thyroid (or any other) hormones. I too tried Armour many years ago all full of hope because of what I'd read in forums but my outcome was very different, in a matter of days became awfully hyper, it was a horrible nightmare, and my hair then really started to fall out*, but after that I was declared "euthyroid" first by an endo and months later by an internist, and I probably was, for 3-4 months prior to taking Armour I'd been seeing a naturopath and did lots of cleanses, went on an anti-candida diet and took lots of herbs.

I discovered a wonderful supplement that helped my hair grow back, it's Kal Super Silica Plus with MSM.

You may want to think about adding iodine to your "protocol" because I've read it sharpens the response of the cell receptors to thyroid hormones. If you don't know much about therapeutic iodine you can read this story of a woman who got treated that way by Dr. Jorge Flechas in NC, she was not responding to thyroid meds because she was very deficient in iodine.

And to help you in your search of a better doctor here's About.com's list of Top Thyroid Docs.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:12 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,714,205 times
I take synthroid and it worked wonders, but first I tried the generic levothyroxine and it didn't work at all. I have Hashimoto's, but my dad is hypothyroid and he does not have it so it is not necessary to have Hashimoto's to be hypo. I would suggest changing doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness