U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 02:59 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,200,745 times

Advertisements

Actually I take the generic levothyroxine now since some druggist switched me to generic from synthroid. I didn't notice a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 03:19 PM

12,054 posts, read 19,647,093 times
If your doctor is only spending 5 minutes with you, find another doctor. My GP, who also is hypothyroid, spends approximately 30 minutes to an hour on each visit. One thing that I did several years ago was to start taking meds right before I go to bed. They have time to work and there is no interference with food. Made a big difference for me. Stress really interacts with thyroid, nails, hair, and sleep. For my nails, I have started using argon oil twice a day and that makes a huge difference. Exercise as often as possible. Make sure that you get enough sleep, even if you need to take a partial OTC sleep med--when I need it, I cut them in half (I take Motrin PM). Watch your diet and try to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. I found that I get better info from my GP than an endocrinologist, but many endos in my area seem to be pediatric.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:54 PM

2,391 posts, read 3,867,557 times
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism back in the last summer. I was put on a low dose of thyroid meds and I feel better and have no issues. What issues are you having~? My numbers have been good and have not had to increase my dosage. I'm told a lot of people are on a lot higher dosage than I am. I would seek another opinion from another doctor and not reveal any info and see what they come up with. This is what I did because one doctor couldn't find a thing wrong with me and the next doctor found out I had issues. You just never know but there are better doctors with more knowledge out there.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:09 PM

530 posts, read 959,307 times
Thyroid problems have been in my family for generations. As others have said, you need a full thyroid panel, which includes a T3 test. This will give you a much better picture of the problem.

Also, it can take a while to get the medicine right. Unlike other diseases/problems, thyroid patients sometimes only respond well to one particular medicine. My mother does well on Armour, which she uses because she has a T3 problem. I did not feel well when I took Armour. I was exhausted even though my numbers were "normal." Synthroid works much better for me. However, I cannot tolerate the generic version of Synthroid. It made me a mess when I tried to switch to it.

You can keep trying medicines until you get one that makes you feel better. However, it is really important to try the same medicine for a good period of time--a number of weeks. Thyroid hormones take a while to build in the system, so you may not know if a particular medicine is working for you until you have been on it at least a month to six weeks.

Most importantly, your medicine dose should be SLOWLY increased if it is necessary. An overactive thyroid can be dangerous, so you don't want to go up on a dose too quickly. It is better to be low than high--though it may not feel that way!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:45 PM

791 posts, read 2,643,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Armour did not work for me at all. I switched to synthroid & felt marvelous after only a matter of days.

What was your TSH before & after meds?

Good luck in getting the balance right.
I actually just put together a chart from my lab work. It has fluctuated from 3.00 and a low of .625. Not too drastic but enough to mess with my hair and energy.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
If your doctor is only spending 5 minutes with you, find another doctor. My GP, who also is hypothyroid, spends approximately 30 minutes to an hour on each visit. One thing that I did several years ago was to start taking meds right before I go to bed. They have time to work and there is no interference with food. Made a big difference for me. Stress really interacts with thyroid, nails, hair, and sleep. For my nails, I have started using argon oil twice a day and that makes a huge difference. Exercise as often as possible. Make sure that you get enough sleep, even if you need to take a partial OTC sleep med--when I need it, I cut them in half (I take Motrin PM). Watch your diet and try to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. I found that I get better info from my GP than an endocrinologist, but many endos in my area seem to be pediatric.
I actually have an appt. with my primary tomorrow, so hopefully he can help me. Luckily I do exercise daily and eat pretty well so I am good there.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:03 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,713,634 times
Which levels are those? A normal TSH level is .3 to 5.0. A normal T4 is 4.5 to 11.2.
It really depends on the person as to what number you feel the best.

I think I may have misinterpreted your post. Are you saying you are having more problems because they can't keep your number stabalized?

Old 06-05-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
Which levels are those? A normal TSH level is .3 to 5.0. A normal T4 is 4.5 to 11.2.
It really depends on the person as to what number you feel the best.

I think I may have misinterpreted your post. Are you saying you are having more problems because they can't keep your number stabalized?
My numbers have fluctuated quite a bit but the real problem is that it doesn't seem to matter how much thyroid meds I'm on I still do not feel well.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:09 PM

I did go to my primary Dr. today and he felt that I should maintain the meds I'm currently taking and that if anything I could go up a bit and see if I feel any better. Although I was told that at 90mcg of Armour I am already at a pretty high dose.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:44 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,713,634 times
I have never taken Armour, so I'm not sure about the doasage. I hate when doctors just don't seem to listen to you. I think that you should try another doctor. I have found that if I take my medication at the same time every day it helps me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness