Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:41 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,643,690 times

Advertisements

Copper (non-hormonal) IUDs are -not- generally prescribed for women of child-bearing age, who have not yet had children, and are considering having them at some point in the future. Since the OP doesn't have kids yet, the copper (non-hormonal) IUD would not be a "best" choice for her, at all.

I don't know about the Mirena type ones. But the copper ones, definitely not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 08:49 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,958,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Copper (non-hormonal) IUDs are -not- generally prescribed for women of child-bearing age, who have not yet had children, and are considering having them at some point in the future. Since the OP doesn't have kids yet, the copper (non-hormonal) IUD would not be a "best" choice for her, at all.

I don't know about the Mirena type ones. But the copper ones, definitely not.
That isn't necessarily true. I'm 30 and I'm on my second IUD. I got Mirena first and then switched to Paragard. I love the copper IUD and I'll never use another form of BC again. I've never been pregnant and there's a good chance I will have kids in the future (we haven't decided 100%).

In the past many doctors would not give IUDs to women who had never been pregnant, but that is changing. IUDs are the most popular form of BC in Europe, they just are not as common in the US.

To the OP, you may want to consider Mirena or Paragard. You don't have to keep either in for longer than you want to. Also, since Paragard has no hormones, you should be fertile again immediately after it is removed (there's no lag time like there can be with hormonal forms of BC).

Old 05-31-2012, 08:53 PM

777 posts, read 1,331,357 times
While I was on the pill from 18-21, I decided to quit it and get something non-hormonal, so I got the copper IUD, 8 years ago. It is generally not recommended for women that haven't had children, but your doctor will give it to you if you've done your research and you still want it. They do NOT ever want to take them out just because you decided against it, or decided to have a baby sooner, because they typically last 10 years, and they expect that you are sure you don't want any kids for 10 years. Granted they're only 99% effective, and they lose effectiveness the longer you have them. They come with side effects such as heavily menstrual bleeding than you may not be use to and potentially more painful cramps than you'd want to deal with. Mine came with some evil cramps, but some strong ibuprofin (800 mg!) gets me through the worst days of my period. I also spot a lot, which can give you some serious stress thinking there's always something wrong with you, because the cycle will shift often, but tests will find nothing wrong with you. I have friends that have gotten then and had them taken out after only a year or two because they were sick of the cramps they gave them. So you do have to take this into consideration... they can be pretty bad (the cramps), and the IUD isn't something you get to just "experience" with.

Also, if you do at some point get pregnant with an IUD, you risk miscarrying the child, which can have a big negative impact on some women emotionally.

Needless to say though, it has worked effectively for me for 8 years and I expect it to hold over the next 2 years before I have to get it out. By then, I'll probably go back on the pill for temporary control until we're ready for a baby in about 4 years.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:59 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,958,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
While I was on the pill from 18-21, I decided to quit it and get something non-hormonal, so I got the copper IUD, 8 years ago. It is generally not recommended for women that haven't had children, but your doctor will give it to you if you've done your research and you still want it. They do NOT ever want to take them out just because you decided against it, or decided to have a baby sooner, because they typically last 10 years, and they expect that you are sure you don't want any kids for 10 years.
That has not been my experience at all, for what it is worth. I only had the Mirena for about 10 months when I decided I wanted to be totally hormone free. My doctor removed it and gave me the paragard (a week later) without any hesitation or questions. So, not all doctors are the same... my doctor would be more than willing to remove the paragard for me whenever I want it out. I've had it for 6 years so far though and I don't have any plans to take it out in the near future.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:51 AM

12,653 posts, read 14,787,337 times
Thank you everyone. I know there's so many types out there, which like I said, I know nothing about any. Yes, I do realize that I have to talk to my dr. I just want to hear other comments from women out there & their experiences.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,881,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
My sister got pregnant whilst taking the pill. luckily she found out and was able to terminate but its still not 100%....

There is no form of birth control that is 100%.

If you're having sex there's always a chance of getting pregnant and many, many women get preggo on the pill because they don't follow the directions on the package.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:13 PM

37,246 posts, read 60,987,691 times
Condoms fail.

I am not sure how your partner being mature would assist in combating condom failure?

My Dw has been most pleased by using abstinence.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:53 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,739,577 times
Even when you're an adult using them properly, condoms can burst. My husband and I had it happen twice and we didn't feel it either time.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:40 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,881,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Even when you're an adult using them properly, condoms can burst. My husband and I had it happen twice and we didn't feel it either time.

and to think the govt is handing them out to teenagers telling them they are safe to use. blows my friggin mind.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:22 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,437,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
That isn't necessarily true. I'm 30 and I'm on my second IUD. I got Mirena first and then switched to Paragard. I love the copper IUD and I'll never use another form of BC again. I've never been pregnant and there's a good chance I will have kids in the future (we haven't decided 100%).

In the past many doctors would not give IUDs to women who had never been pregnant, but that is changing. IUDs are the most popular form of BC in Europe, they just are not as common in the US.

To the OP, you may want to consider Mirena or Paragard. You don't have to keep either in for longer than you want to. Also, since Paragard has no hormones, you should be fertile again immediately after it is removed (there's no lag time like there can be with hormonal forms of BC).
Had my last at 36...don't wait too long. It gets harder to keep up with a toddler as you get older. And of course, the last was the most active, so it was really hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness