U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 76,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I'm waiting for my new insurance to clear and because the bill came late it could be a few days still.

Unfortunately I've come down with the most horrendous sore throat I've ever had in my life. It feels like I'm swallowing glass. My nose is just a touch stuffed up and I'm coughing up yellow phlegm. Overall I feel very run down and tired, but I'm only running a slight fever.

I'm thinking this is strep throat, but I'm on day 5 and it's only getting worse instead of better. Anyone have experience with strep and how long did it last for you?

Im telling this story in hopes that it will help others suffering from sore throat like myself. 8 days ago I was struck with fever, chills and body ache, no other symptoms. I knew than that it wasn't a regular flu cold, cause they are usually accompanied with stomach ache, runny nose, coughs, etc. I got a mild sore throat that same night. In the morning day 2 the sore throat was much worse but fever not as bad.
First doctor I went to said it was strep by the looks of it and prescibed me an anitbiotic. Thought I was good to go. (should have asked for a rapid strep test) Day 3 antibiotic wasnt doing anything and the sore throat got significantly worse, but no fever.

Day 4, went to another doctor, said it did not look like a strep infection and to stop taking the antibiotics cause it looked like a viral infection in which the antibiotics could be making it worse. No more fever. Stopped taking the antibiotics. (should have taken a rapid strep test to be sure) He ordered a blood test for mono, good call. Results should come in a few days.

Day 5, Pain in throat is extremely painful, never experienced any pain in my throat like it before, could not swallow or talk. No other symptoms. Just tired. Wen to the ER for some prescribed pain killers. Doctor took a look and said Strep, and prescribed a different antibiotic, arrrrggg. (should have asked them to do a rapid strep test) They took a throat swab for bacteria cultures. Test should come in a couple of days. arrrrr

Day 6, Throat pain accompanied by needle stings in the throat, very painful, on extra strength advil every 4 hours and , benzocaine liquid gargle to numb the pain, makes it barely bearable. Haven't eaten hardly anything in 6 days. Not nauseous, just physically can't stand the pain, so bad it makes eyes water and you almost pass out cause it burns and stings sooo bad.

Day 7, pain is lessening but still there. Still hurts to swallow but the pain is delayed once you swallow. Still same intensity though. Upon view it looks like throat cankers have developed in the back of the throat and on the tonsils.

Day 8, take a trip to the docs to get my test results. Blood work shows, POSITIVE FOR MONO.

My advice if I can give it to anyone suffering from sore throat pain and fever with no other symptoms, especially if the throat pain is lasting for more than 3 days, is to DEMAND a rapid strep test, and if it comes back negative, DEMAND a blood test for MONO. many, many days of excruciating pain can be avoided. PLEASE don't be afraid to just tell the doctors what to do, cause as you can see by my story, sometimes doctors don't have a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 06:21 PM

16,929 posts, read 19,666,757 times
Sorry to hear you have Mono. How long does that last and how long are you contagious? Feel better soon.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:30 PM

58 posts, read 171,947 times
I used to get strep and tonsillitis a lot, sometimes together but not all the time. They're both really painful. Strep shouldn't be left untreated. If you think you have strep, you could go to an urgent care clinic where they can do a quick swab. Once they get meds in you, you'll feel good as new

Old 06-04-2012, 07:34 PM

42,204 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Sounds like post-nasal drip from sinus drainage.

The mucus running down the back of your throat makes your throat feel like it's on FIRE.

Strep throat doesn't usually come with mucus or congestion symptoms.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:10 AM

1 posts, read 76,281 times
See I was here looking to see if the internet MD's could diagnose me. Yours does sound like a viral infection.

I feel like I'm swallowing glass, high to moderate fever, body aches, and I'm exhausted. Aside from the perpetual pain in my throat I actually generally feel alright once I'm up and about. But eating and drinking is horrible. Brushing my teeth is the worst, spitting feels like I'm ripping shards out of my throat. In fact it wakes me up, even sleeping is hard.

Hoping that after I drug myself into a coma tomorrow and get 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep that I'll feel better. If not, I'm toddling off to the doctors office

Old 02-25-2013, 05:07 AM

1 posts, read 70,388 times
Someone help me!!!! Hi! Yesterday I woke up with an uncomfortable throat, as the day progressed it hurt a fair amount but not as much as it does now!!! I don't even know how to describe it! Right now I'm in bed (its 6 in the morning, can't sleep) so I don't know if I have a fever but I don't think so. In my throat right now I have the continuous pain, and then sometimes it will just effect certain spots and cause them to feel like they're burning. I also now have a swollen gum on the lower right side of my mouth on the back of the tooth. I just want to cry!!!!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:39 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
time for a doctor or walk-in clinic.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 63,317 times
I have been experiencing a horrible sore throat. I'm on day 4 and it really isn't getting better. Day 1: started feeling a sore throat coming on but only on he right side of my throat. Day 2: I felt a lump in my throat and the soreness got worse. Day 3: Extreme pain when swallowing. The lump feeling seems to have gotten bigger and now in the middle of my throat. The extreme pain when I swallow keeps me up at night and I can't eat or drink anything because it is so unbearable. I have tried a throat spray, gargling with salt water, gargling with Listerine, throat drops, and NyQuil. It gave me relief for about 5 minutes then went back to extreme pain. Never felt anything like this before. Day 4: Still has not gotten better even the slightest bit. Still very extreme pain when I swallow. I have now noticed that there is an occasional stinging sensation in my throat, usually only on the right side. and I can also feel it in my right ear. What do you think I have? I have been trying to get an appointment

Old 09-03-2013, 06:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,524,856 times
only a doctor can diagnose it. i had something like that they called pharangytis and they gave me lidocaine drops to ease the pain but i don't recall any lumps

Old 09-03-2013, 06:53 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,229,335 times
Sounds like a cold....yellow is always cold, green is sinus...yellow green, usually a head cold. The sore throat comes with all that phlegm. We have all the ick that goes along with being allergic to ragweed, which is high in Oklahoma now. Feel better, Lubby! I always drink lots of hot tea (Irish breakfast) with honey and milk, gargle with warm salt water, and use throat lozenges. if you have fever, call dr. could be strep.

Last edited by Jrsygrl51; 09-03-2013 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: adding on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness