U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 PM

9,166 posts, read 16,519,971 times

Advertisements

I'm no medic, but we have a lot of strep in the Rockies, and it sure sounds like it could be. If you have any kind of county health clinic/nurse they may swab your throat for strep at no charge. It's highly contagious and can get worse fast, so I wouldn't dilly-dally in getting a swab test.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 12:04 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,229,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmues View Post
Im telling this story in hopes that it will help others suffering from sore throat like myself. 8 days ago I was struck with fever, chills and body ache, no other symptoms. I knew than that it wasn't a regular flu cold, cause they are usually accompanied with stomach ache, runny nose, coughs, etc. I got a mild sore throat that same night. In the morning day 2 the sore throat was much worse but fever not as bad.
First doctor I went to said it was strep by the looks of it and prescibed me an anitbiotic. Thought I was good to go. (should have asked for a rapid strep test) Day 3 antibiotic wasnt doing anything and the sore throat got significantly worse, but no fever.

Day 4, went to another doctor, said it did not look like a strep infection and to stop taking the antibiotics cause it looked like a viral infection in which the antibiotics could be making it worse. No more fever. Stopped taking the antibiotics. (should have taken a rapid strep test to be sure) He ordered a blood test for mono, good call. Results should come in a few days.

Day 5, Pain in throat is extremely painful, never experienced any pain in my throat like it before, could not swallow or talk. No other symptoms. Just tired. Wen to the ER for some prescribed pain killers. Doctor took a look and said Strep, and prescribed a different antibiotic, arrrrggg. (should have asked them to do a rapid strep test) They took a throat swab for bacteria cultures. Test should come in a couple of days. arrrrr

Day 6, Throat pain accompanied by needle stings in the throat, very painful, on extra strength advil every 4 hours and , benzocaine liquid gargle to numb the pain, makes it barely bearable. Haven't eaten hardly anything in 6 days. Not nauseous, just physically can't stand the pain, so bad it makes eyes water and you almost pass out cause it burns and stings sooo bad.

Day 7, pain is lessening but still there. Still hurts to swallow but the pain is delayed once you swallow. Still same intensity though. Upon view it looks like throat cankers have developed in the back of the throat and on the tonsils.

Day 8, take a trip to the docs to get my test results. Blood work shows, POSITIVE FOR MONO.

My advice if I can give it to anyone suffering from sore throat pain and fever with no other symptoms, especially if the throat pain is lasting for more than 3 days, is to DEMAND a rapid strep test, and if it comes back negative, DEMAND a blood test for MONO. many, many days of excruciating pain can be avoided. PLEASE don't be afraid to just tell the doctors what to do, cause as you can see by my story, sometimes doctors don't have a clue.
I have had MONO. My symptoms were sore throat, fever, and white spots on back of my throat. They did not do a blood test right away, but treated me with antibiotics. They way they found out was the fever went away, and then came back a few days later. Then they did the MONO spot, and found out it was MONO. My daughters had it at the same time when they were 17 and 15.
All cases are different as far as how long it lasts, but once you have had it, it stays in your system, and can re-activate and any time.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:34 AM

12,480 posts, read 14,367,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicBubblezz93 View Post
I have been experiencing a horrible sore throat. I'm on day 4 and it really isn't getting better. Day 1: started feeling a sore throat coming on but only on he right side of my throat. Day 2: I felt a lump in my throat and the soreness got worse. Day 3: Extreme pain when swallowing. The lump feeling seems to have gotten bigger and now in the middle of my throat. The extreme pain when I swallow keeps me up at night and I can't eat or drink anything because it is so unbearable. I have tried a throat spray, gargling with salt water, gargling with Listerine, throat drops, and NyQuil. It gave me relief for about 5 minutes then went back to extreme pain. Never felt anything like this before. Day 4: Still has not gotten better even the slightest bit. Still very extreme pain when I swallow. I have now noticed that there is an occasional stinging sensation in my throat, usually only on the right side. and I can also feel it in my right ear. What do you think I have? I have been trying to get an appointment

oh my--I feel your pain. Hate to break it to ya but you MUST go to the doctor. Especially since this has been going on 5 days.
I get bad sore throats to due to sinus/allergy crap but I don't think mine is as bad as you're explaining.
When mine does hurt though it has gone on for up to 6 weeks or longer. But I first had to find out what was going on so off to the doctor I went. If you have strep you need meds and you are contagious!!!

Old 09-05-2013, 02:09 AM

1,913 posts, read 2,705,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I was feeling the same thing a few days ago minus the fever had a strep culture done and I do not have strep. My doctor said it's viral and the only thing to do is take advil, tea with honey and throat lozenges or chloraseptic spray, rest and fluids. I took Nyquill last night slept like a log and feel alot better. My throat is no longer sore but I still have a stuffy nose, taking zyrtec too.I felt like crap yesterday but went to work anyway.Came home and slept for 2 hours in the afternoon. I work partime in a school cafeteria so I am home by 2:30 pm. Taking the nyquill tonight too just to be sure. Feel Better.
The cough and nasal stuffiness argue against Strep. I also say this is viral. Drink lots of water, do salt gargles, rest and ride it out.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:58 PM

1 posts, read 7,418 times
I have had a dry cough and felt under the wether for two days now I can't swallow and when I do it most deff feels like glass it's odd because I find the pain is far down around the area of where a Adam's apple is I went to the dr she said maybe Laryngitis confused to the maybe and that my voice is great but when she looked in my mouth not even with a stick she said looks great after my two hour wait with not being heard I was Beyond frustrated ya I'm sure it looks great that that little light cant even shine far enough down to see where even hurts does anyone think this is strep because that's what I'm thinking

Old 06-09-2017, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 819 times
Im a smoker. For many years I've had this really bad cough, not sick, no cold, no fevers. Just a bad cough that usually bothers me when i first wake up and when I smoke a cigarette sometimes. Now for the last 7-8 months, I've been having really bad throat pain. This pain happens only when I eat and drink. Everything feels like I swallowing broken glass. And sometimes everything tastes hot, both food and drinks. What can this be???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness