U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 12:29 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,492,143 times

Advertisements

I'm waiting for my new insurance to clear and because the bill came late it could be a few days still.

Unfortunately I've come down with the most horrendous sore throat I've ever had in my life. It feels like I'm swallowing glass. My nose is just a touch stuffed up and I'm coughing up yellow phlegm. Overall I feel very run down and tired, but I'm only running a slight fever.

I'm thinking this is strep throat, but I'm on day 5 and it's only getting worse instead of better. Anyone have experience with strep and how long did it last for you?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 12:55 PM

16,832 posts, read 19,432,553 times
I was feeling the same thing a few days ago minus the fever had a strep culture done and I do not have strep. My doctor said it's viral and the only thing to do is take advil, tea with honey and throat lozenges or chloraseptic spray, rest and fluids. I took Nyquill last night slept like a log and feel alot better. My throat is no longer sore but I still have a stuffy nose, taking zyrtec too.I felt like crap yesterday but went to work anyway.Came home and slept for 2 hours in the afternoon. I work partime in a school cafeteria so I am home by 2:30 pm. Taking the nyquill tonight too just to be sure. Feel Better.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:07 PM

142 posts, read 388,977 times
Thought I had strep a couple of months back because it hurt so bad and had the white spots on it. Turns out it wasn't; however, it was getting ready to abscess, and had I not gotten antibiotics when I did, I would have had to go to the hospital to have it drained surgically. Careful . . . .

Old 05-31-2012, 03:35 PM

19,561 posts, read 52,960,347 times
Drink club soda and use Chloraseptic lozenges. The club soda burns then numbs your throat. Only side effect is the burps but you can drink it all day.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 PM

14,819 posts, read 14,941,891 times
I'm just getting over what I suspect is a case of Whooping Cough.

Started out as a little bit of a sore throat. Then I started feeling sick.....feverish, achy, tired. Then the sore throat got a lot worse and I started coughing up very nasty phlegm. The cough and breathing problems were the worst. I would start coughing and keep on coughing....on and on......very hard to stop.

Had it almost 2 weeks.......I am finally almost over it.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:15 PM

3,653 posts, read 7,207,547 times
I do not think it's strep, more like a viral infection, from what you described.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:28 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,492,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
I do not think it's strep, more like a viral infection, from what you described.
Then the doctor couldn't really do anything anyway....I just hope it starts to get better soon. I can't eat anything

Old 06-01-2012, 02:44 AM

18,010 posts, read 18,259,532 times
I'll join the "I just went through this" crowd and hopefully for you, if it's the same virus, the horrendous sore throat part of it didn't last and by the time you read this it will have eased.
It is the worst sore throat I've ever experienced and I don't really think the salt water gargles is what made it lessen because the thick yellow/green muscus also lightened within two days.
Very exhausting, this one,
The more usual cold symptoms do appear to intend to stay around for the usual 5/7 days, though.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:45 AM

16,832 posts, read 19,432,553 times
My throat feels better but still hacking up yellow phlegm I feel good though. My mom has the same thing. It's just gross every morning.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:36 PM

2,876 posts, read 4,347,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I'm waiting for my new insurance to clear and because the bill came late it could be a few days still.

Unfortunately I've come down with the most horrendous sore throat I've ever had in my life. It feels like I'm swallowing glass. My nose is just a touch stuffed up and I'm coughing up yellow phlegm. Overall I feel very run down and tired, but I'm only running a slight fever.

I'm thinking this is strep throat, but I'm on day 5 and it's only getting worse instead of better. Anyone have experience with strep and how long did it last for you?
I had strep throat twice, years ago...the pain was awful. As far as I know, it doesn't go away on its own...you need to treat it with antibiotics. And you've got to be careful if it is actually strep because if left untreated, it could lead to rheumatic fever.

Sore Throat? Find Out if It

Good luck! I wouldn't wish strep throat on my worst enemy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness