U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 01:27 AM

910 posts, read 1,797,448 times

Advertisements

There's always one group or another trying to debunk something that WORKS, I'd just like to know who funded this study first of all. Personally, I don't put much faith in most studies, especially if they're trying to disprove something that's GOOD, makes very very suspicious. I can't remember now who said it but the results of many studies have been manipulated to "prove" what the "scientists" set out to prove from the start, here's an example of that: http://www.cato.org/pubs/bp/bp117.pdf

The thing that most ignore is that thanks to our modern habits of drinking many other fluids other than water (NOT what God/nature intended!), we have actually lost the ability to feel thirsty before reaching a state of semi-dehydration, and by the time we do a lot of damage is already done.

When several years ago I discovered the book "Your Body's Many Cries For Water", written by a doctor who explained very clearly how it all works, I immediately reaped the benefits of increasing my water intake. I had been getting out of bed with lower back pain every single pain, then after reading about that in the book I drank two large glasses of water after getting up and in 20n min. my pain was gone and it didn't return for as long as I continued to drink MORE water. But old habits die hard and I began to go for long periods of time without drinking. Recently I'd accepted that my lower back pain and stiffness was caused by my rather hard mattress so it didn't occur to me that I - who "knew better"- could need more water. However, when for a different reason I remembered my book and pulled it out of the shelf and then increased my water intake, after a couple of days it dawned on me that my pain and stiffness were gone.

I also attribute in part to drinking plenty of water having great skin that much younger women seem a little jealous of. And it's not "8-8 oz. glasses" for everyone, I think the color of one's urine is a better guide, it should be very pale yellow to clear.

And for those who doubt that it can do anything, just go to www.watercure2.com and read the many testimonies there, and this is not like someone's trying to make money out of this because water is FREE!

But, by the same token, those who decide to drink less now will have the opportunity to see if it works for them or not, the only thing is that some problems only develop over time so when they appear they might not be correlated to the need for more water. As for myself, because of my own inconsistency I've already been on both sides more than once and I'm convinced beyond the shadow of a doubt that in this case
MORE is better for me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 01:44 AM

910 posts, read 1,797,448 times
This actually explains much better my lack of faith in so many studies:

Independent Variable | Experiment-Resources.com | A website about the Scientific Method, Research and Experiments

Old 06-07-2012, 07:59 AM

38,673 posts, read 45,016,991 times
I drink about 8 oz of water a day, any other water intake comes from coffee, iced tea, beer, whatever my body says it wants.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:08 AM

706 posts, read 1,720,792 times
I drink only tap water, which is free, and I drink enough of it that I don't have a thirst for anything else, which costs money and contains things that are not good for me, like sugars, chemical sweeteners, alcohol, caffeine, food coloring, etc. I probably average nearly 64 ounces a day in summer, and half of that in winter.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:50 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
After having kidney stones, I have learned to pay attention to what my urine looks like, if it starts looking dark yellow I know it's time to drink more water. Urine should stay a very light yellow, almost clear.
I take a chewable multivitamin every morning. My urine is a rather lovely shade of day-glo lime-green.

I generally drink a minimum of 1 litre of water every day, plus one cup (10 ounces) of coffee, plus whatever moist foods I consume at meals.

In the summer I can go through 2 litres, but I have a naturally -very- low thirst drive. In the winter, sometimes I have to remind myself to drink water, because otherwise I can go for two days just having my morning coffee, plus whatever moisture is in the foods I consume during meals. My shins peel, they're so dry sometimes. I've gotten a lot better at it though.

But honestly, unless I'm eating a lot of salty foods, I really don't get thirsty, ever. So relying on my thirst is a really unhealthy thing, for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness