U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 01:19 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you don't like the taste of your tapwater, buy cheap generic brands of lemon juice ($1.29/liter) and put about an ounce of it into a half-gallon bottle of tapwater. It gives it a very refreshing citrus tang, stays fresh for a couple of days at room temp, masks any other flavors in the water, and is pure nutrition with no sugars. Or just buy fresh lemons or limes and squeeze them into your water. About one key lime per half-gallon.

Refill your own container of your choice.
Nothing will cover the foul taste of the tap water here. I can even taste it in pasta when I cook it. For whatever reason, the refill machines get rid of the nasty taste. It costs a quarter a gallon, so we spend less than $5/week on it, much less than we used to when we were buying soda and it's healthier too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 08:41 AM

8,316 posts, read 17,635,046 times
For those refilling 5 gal bottles in Wal Mart, that maching is hooked up to the local city water supply. It's not 'special' water, it's barely even filtered, and the machines aren't cleaned so you're probably drinking some icky crap.

I don't care for my tap water either so I buy cases at BJs. Do I care about BPA? No. Do I care about what happens to those bottles after I throw them in the recycle bin? No. I just care about having water I like to drink.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 8,740 times
From what I gather from everyone, you are concerned with the following:

1. Clean bottles for refill. Unless you perform the sanitation process outlined by Primo, you should buy bottled water that are sealed. Reputable bottling companies sterilize their bottles with high pressure hot water washers and this is done just before they are filled. Then they are refilled with purified water that has been injected with ozone to ensure no organism is alive and grows in the water. As long as it is kept sealed the water will last for months in storage. Check and make sure they have been treated with ozone. It usually says on the label.

2. BPA free bottles are now available in the market. However be careful with single-use BPA free bottles because they are only guaranteed to be BPA free at the first use. The coating used to protect you from BPA deteriorates. There are 5-gallon jugs that are BPA free guaranteed for multiple use.

3. Whether the water was filtered from tap or spring water it doesn't matter if the process to bottle them is defective. You are still exposed to contamination. From my perspective you are better off installing a filter system in your house. I recommend installing a water softener (salt or electronic based) followed by a sediment filter and activated carbon filter on your main line. This is generally sufficient to keep out sediments, rust, iron, unpleasant odor/taste and other organic contaminants from your water. If your municipal water is chlorinated then I wouldn't worry about bacteria. If you are still worried about bacteria you can add UV treatment and/or Ozone treatment. If your are still worried about contaminants, a reverses osmosis (RO) can also be added. RO and Ozone treatments are typically added as under the sink installs but if you want to ensure purity even in your bathroom then put them in the main line. Kind of expensive overkill because that would mean that your are also flushing with very clean water in your toilet.

I'm in the water filtration and bottling business, in case you wonder where I'm coming from. I hope this was helpful.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 6,932 times
I like getting fresh water but I don't know were to go to get the bottles refilled in my area can anybody help. I live in the Collegeville area pa 19426

Old 05-28-2016, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,628 times
Hello. Can you use regular tap water to refill the primo water jugs?

Old 05-28-2016, 06:30 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,713,147 times
Unless you're in an area with certified BAD water, tap water is fine! FRESH water comes from your tap! The water in bottles comes from....wait for it....a TAP!

All you're doing is giving someone your money for the same water you already have!

Old 08-19-2016, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,394 times
Lightbulb Health Concerns For Drinking Water From Plastic Containers or Jugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjokerz View Post

If keeping those 5-gallon bottles is safe for multiple uses, which route would you prefer for safety? Brita or the Primo water?

Thank you.

Go for GLASS 5 gallon jugs all the way Xjokerz,

Run from both those plastic methods! Brita or Primo suck! It's also horrible to keep plastic containers and Plastic jugs for your own health. Don't get suckered into the 5 gallon plastic jugs with the stickers on them saying no BPA neither... Get GLASS 5 gallon jugs online! No BPA means it's environmentally safe but that doesn't mean it's safe for your health!

Get glass- In Amazon you can buy 5 gallon GLASS jugs for 17 bucks per bottle,and if you're a prime member then shipping is free. Remember to buy the lids too! It's a separate charge for 1.79 cents per lid but I only drink my water when I know it's covered.

Also! Why are you drinking Alhambra for 5 bucks? Excellent water filters are at Whole Foods. They have Di-ionized water and 98% Osmosis filtered water for 2.50 cents for an entire 5 gallons of really good filtered water.

* Health Risks For Using Plastic Jugs? Here's what I found:

[url=http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/01/15/dangers-of-drinking-water-from-a-plastic-bottle.aspx]

*Bottled Water and its Health and Environmental Impact[/url][INDENT] Drinking water from a plastic water bottle poses serious health risks to you and your family. Let's take a look at some of these dangers to give you a better idea of why bottled water is not the healthy choice you've been led to believe it is.
Plastic would obviously be an issue for most bottled waters but it also comes into play for home or commercially filtered waters, or even raw spring water in that you need a container to store your water before you consume it. Obviously the best container is glass because when you choose plastic you are potentially exposed to the following chemicals.[INDENT] BPA – Bisphenol A or BPA is an [URL="http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/04/15/synthetic-estrogens-wreak-havoc-on-your-reproductive-system.aspx"]estrogen-mimicking chemical[/URL] that [URL="http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/02/04/fda-shifts-position-now-has-concerns-about-bpa-risks-.aspx"]has been linked to a host of serious health problems[/URL] including:
[LIST][*]Learning and behavioral problems[*]Altered immune system function[*]Early puberty in girls and fertility problems[*]Decreased sperm count[*]Prostate and breast cancer[*]Diabetes and obesity[/LIST] If you are pregnant or nursing, your child is also at risk. If you are feeding your baby or toddler from a plastic bottle, switch to glass to avoid BPA contamination.
Phthalates -- Phthalates are widely used in the United States to make plastics like polyvinyl chloride (PVC) more flexible.

Phthalates are endocrine-disrupting chemicals that have been linked to a wide range of developmental and reproductive effects, including:
[LIST][*]Reduced sperm counts[*]Testicular atrophy or structural abnormality[*]Liver cancer[/LIST] Further, in experiments on rats, phthalates have demonstrably blocked the action of fetal androgens, which affects [URL="http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/10/22/at-last-harmful-cosmetic-chemicals-are-getting-a-closer-look.aspx"]gender development in male offspring[/URL], leading to undescended testes at birth and testicular tumors later in life.
Studies have also found that boys whose mothers had high phthalate exposures while pregnant were much more likely to have certain demasculinized traits and produce less testosterone.
Yet another study found that pregnant women who are exposed to phthalates [URL="http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/11/22/plastic-exposure.aspx"]gave birth more than one week earlier[/URL] than women who were not exposed to them.
Pharmacy in a Bottle -- As mentioned above, about 40 percent of bottled water is tap water. This means you are not only exposed to dangerous BPA from the bottle, you may also be exposed to a variety of water contaminants such as fluoride, chlorine, [URL="http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/qarsenic.asp"]arsenic[/URL], [URL="http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/dangers-of-aluminum.html"]aluminum[/URL], [URL="http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/02/07/tap-water-toxins-is-your-water-trying-to-kill-you.aspx"]disinfection byproducts[/URL] and prescription drugs.
Although you may have been told that disposing your unused prescription or over-the-counter (OTC) drugs in the garbage instead of down the toilet means this eliminates the threat of your water supply being contaminated, this is simply not true. [URL="http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/02/27/even-drugs-thrown-in-the-trash-can-end-up-in-your-drinking-water.aspx"]Water that drains through landfills, known as leach rate, eventually ends up in rivers[/URL]. Although not all states source drinking water from rivers, many do.
According to studies, human cells do not grow normally when exposed to even minute amounts of prescription or over-the-counter drugs.
Some drugs that were never meant to be combined are mixed together in the drinking water you consume every day. Millions of people have drug allergies. Are you one of them? If so, how do you know the unusual symptoms you've been exhibiting are not due to ingesting small doses of the drugs you're allergic to from your bottled water?
[/INDENT][/INDENT]Ticking Time Bomb [INDENT] Though drinking bottled water directly from a store shelf poses serious health risks, leaving this bottled water in your car or strapped to your bike and exposed to the hot sun will cause even more serious chemical exposure. Ultraviolet rays from the sun or high temperatures will accelerate leaching of the plastic chemicals mentioned above into the water.
Adding to this health threat is a toxic substance called dioxin, which is also released into bottled water when it is left in the sun. Dioxin has been [URL="http://www.t2conline.com/news-room/newsflash/644-water-bottles-can-kill"]strongly linked to the development of breast cancer.[/URL]
Health-conscious people like to transport filtered water from home to ensure a safe supply on the go. If you're one of these individuals, using a glass or steel bottle instead will bypass the risks associated with carrying filtered water in plastic.
[/INDENT]

Last edited by eve_2000bc; 08-19-2016 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: Needed to space my paragraphs better.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:19 AM

1,677 posts, read 3,609,641 times
I put a filter on my faucet. Yes, you have to stand there and wait a bit longer but it's worth it. I'll go ahead in the morning and fill a couple quarts and use throughout the day.

Take a look at some videos of what plastic is doing to our oceans and world. I try not to buy things in plastic. I buy glass or box items. Can't avoid plastic all together; I recycle. I always drink out of glassware. Plastic will be our end. I threw out every bit of kitchen supplies and dishes that were plastic and replaced with china or stainless steel. If you need to take water with you, please buy a stainless steel device. There's plenty out there...excellent at keeping the fluid cold or warm. Plastic container may have no BPA, but the plastic still leaches into whatever is in it.

I live out where many people do the greywater thing, but are not complying with current law (that changed in 2011 and people were given 4 years to comply). My water source comes from a well so you won't catch me drinking it unfiltered.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:26 PM

2,900 posts, read 1,928,267 times
I have a cooler and refill my 5 gal water bottles which I bought at Walmart for around $6-$7, NOT $14 as the OP states. Could your Walmart be price gouging? I seal the bottles with the cap when not in use and have never had any problems with contamination. I have been doing this for years with the same bottles. I do like the idea of treating them with bleach but since I keep them sealed it has never been an issue. I fill them at the local Watermill Express which does use city water as it's source. They all do. Where do you expect them to get their water? An underground spring? Refills cost $1.25 and the quality of the water is very good. These machines are inspected regularly for quality assurance. They use reverse osmosis and UV disinfection. I DO NOT drink tap water like a previous poster said more than once. It may taste good to you but you have to consider the health consequences in this day and age. Not to mention, the water travels through who knows how many city pipes and then pipes in your house. No thanks, I only shower and wash clothes and dishes with this water.

As to the plastic issue, I am not that paranoid. Plastic has issues when heated to abnormal levels like in the microwave. If left at room temperature it is perfectly fine. I am not going to worry about it. Our bodies are not that sensitive.

Edit: Now I see what the OP is talking about. It's the "Primo" brand which is higher and supposedly contains minerals. It sounds like a ripoff to me. This is what I buy and fill it myself.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/5-Gallon-...&wl13=&veh=sem

Old 08-24-2016, 10:07 AM

16,926 posts, read 19,666,757 times
I save empty plastic bottles from juice and Ice tea, I wash them and refill with Britta that I have attached to my faucet. Been doing this for years. None of us are sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness