U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 10:22 AM

30 posts, read 50,010 times

Advertisements

Those bottles are refillable. That's the point of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 11:00 AM

13,370 posts, read 7,128,759 times
Sure they are refillable....that doesn't mean they are antiseptic. Nothing preventing you from using a mild solution of bleach and rinsing them out between uses to kill whatever germs are lurking. It would just take a minute, if you're worried.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:12 AM

18,825 posts, read 6,149,026 times
I wouldn't re-use them over and over again. The plastic leeching is bad enough but our tap waters TO ME are worse...so we pick our poisons. I get a water delivery for my needs.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:01 AM

8,321 posts, read 17,648,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I wouldn't re-use them over and over again. The plastic leeching is bad enough but our tap waters TO ME are worse...so we pick our poisons. I get a water delivery for my needs.
Does your service use brand new, single use, plastic bottles? I've never heard of any water service doing that.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:01 PM

18,825 posts, read 6,149,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Does your service use brand new, single use, plastic bottles? I've never heard of any water service doing that.
I don't know what they use, but I smash my bottles and put them in recycle bins in back. I would think a lot of companies recycle products. Plastic is everywhere.

When I say service, I had arrowhead delivery a couple yrs ago but got to NOT liking arrowhead water. Then I bought my own bottles and got them into my apt and then since I don't drive anymore I get my market to deliver Crystal Geyser, Essentia and Eternal water bottles to my home when I get a grocery delivery. Essentia and Eternal are a higher pH water.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:28 PM

363 posts, read 190,956 times
I wondered about this topic myself.

Within the past year, I started using 5 gallon jugs I bought at Walmart and filling the jugs as needed at either Walmart or HEB (the local large grocer here). Filling 5 gallon jugs saves a bunch of money over buying each gallon of water individually and even from buying the pre filled 5 gallon jugs and continuously exchanging them. Plus its so much better for the environment then single use and trash or even recycle. Thats why I do it.

I live in San Antonio and the summers here keep getting hotter and hotter over the years. I know bacteria love warm water and they grow and thrive in it. I too was concerned about bacteria sitting in the pipes/machine and being put in jugs when I filled.

Yesterday, when I filled my 5 gallon jugs, the weather was hot, as usual. For whatever reason, whether it be that no one filled recently before me or because it was late afternoon and the heat of the day, the water came out hot at first, then warm. Bacteria was a major concern. Especially since it is not just me drinking the water but my kids.

I called Primo today and found out a few things:

1. Primo and Glacier are owned by the same company
2. If the unit is outside, like mine was, it most likely was a Glacier machine
3. Indoor machines are usually Primo machines
4. The lady said the outdoor Glacier machines do not generally have a UV filter to kill bacteria
5. The lady from Primo said the indoor machines generally do have a UV filter to kill bacteria

6. Most importantly, the lady said not to worry about bacteria being an issue even with the outdoor machines as the heated water was probably just due to heated pipes and the water has to flow over that.

Perhaps one of you can also call Primo to see if you get a similar or different answer and report here.

If just trusting the Primo rep is not reassuring to you, you can do what I did and use the EPA's guide for disinfecting water using a safe level of basic bleach with no cleaners or scents.

Keep in mind, the amounts of bleach to use to clean an object and the safe level to drink are two separate levels. Be sure to get this information from a reputable government website and get this right.

https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and...drinking-water
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness