U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 02:50 PM

4 posts, read 147,743 times
Default 5 Gallon Water Bottles Safe to Reuse?

I have a Primo water cooler and 4 water bottles. They cost $11.50 each at Walmart or if I were to recycle them at Walmart, I get a coupon and a new bottle of water would cost $6.50. This would rack up a lot of money if a couple people were to go through 4 or 5 5-gallon bottles of water every month. Do I need to recycle these big bottles after every use to prevent bacteria and other potential health problems or are they okay for multiple uses? I read up on plastic water bottles being a problem and those should be a one time thing, but I'm not sure about these bigger 5-gallon bottles.

If trading them in is the best route for safety issues, then I was thinking of purchasing a Brita water pitcher. They have that with a 6 pack of filters at Walmart for $55 right now, enough to last a year since you replace a filter about every two months or 40 gallons of water.

If keeping those 5-gallon bottles is safe for multiple uses, which route would you prefer for safety? Brita or the Primo water?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 12:25 PM

2,393 posts, read 6,411,237 times
Is there something wrong with your tap water? If not, just get the refillable bottles and stick them in the fridge!

I believe those bottles are washed between uses....at least, I'd hope so!

Old 06-07-2012, 02:18 PM

I don't really care much for the taste of city water. There's a difference and after trying Primo water, I really like that better. That leads me to asking about sanitation issues with the big 5 gallon water bottles with the water cooler. If I'm better off recycling those after one use, I will probably try the Brita water pitcher.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:09 PM

5,335 posts, read 5,174,919 times
I refill my bottles and have not had any problems. I just put the cap on the bottle when it's empty, and then go fill them up in the machine outside the grocery store. It doesn't taste the same as the Primo water, but definitely tastes better than tap water and it only costs 1.50 to fill the 5 gallon bottle.

I thought the concern with refilling the individual water bottles was that you drink directly from them, so germs from your mouth get into the bottle. With the 5 gallon jug, you're not drinking from the jug, so it shouldn't have the same issues.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:29 PM

9,478 posts, read 6,477,220 times
If you use a lot of water get the britta dispensor with the spout which sits on your counter. It is much more useful than just for a pitcher. The only water which goes in my new coffee pot is filtered, and it makes it easier to have enough for me and the coffee pot. Just make sure not to sit anything heavy on it if its mostly empty and the spout doesn't have anything under it. It will do a flip flop...

Old 06-07-2012, 11:38 PM

706 posts, read 676,972 times
There is nothing that will come our of your mouth (or the mouth of any of your family members), that will do you any harm if it goes back in, so drinking after yourself is perfectly safe.

I keep a half-gallon juice bottle at my desk, that I refill with tap water every day. I use the same bottle for months without washing it.

The oft-repeated danger of reusing plastic bottles arises from the very very tiny amount of chemical vapor that gradually exgasses from the plastic as the container slowly gets reclaimed by the chaotic universe. This is a theoretical, rather than a real risk, and I doubt if any human being has ever presented with symptoms of this limited exposure.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:53 PM

I think I'm leaning towards keeping my Primo water cooler. I went to Walmart and opened a Brita water pitcher and was reading the little booklet. It said the first gallon or so will contain carbon dust from the filter, which would be annoying. It also said to dispense about a gallon after an extended time of not using it, such as a few days. If I take a trip somewhere I don't want to have to worry about contaminated water when I get back.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:02 PM

So if refilling these 5 gallon bottles for my water cooler is safe and doesn't present any health concerns, I will probably stick with the Primo.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 30,078 times
Default From Primo's site

This was taken directly from Primo's website under frequently asked questions.

To assure the highest quality water, bottles should be rinsed with baking soda before each use and sterilized with household bleach every six months. For bottle cleaning instructions, see below:

1. Add one half tsp of household bleach per gallon of tap water.
2. Swish water around and let stand 3 minutes.
3. Pour out and rinse container well.
4. Air Dry
5. Seal Container.

[url=http://store.primowater.com/SpecialPages/CustomerCare.aspx#]Customer Service - Primo Water Store[/url]

From what I have researched if refilling the bottles you should clean them occasionally. I do probably every three uses or three months.

Hope this helps.

Duane

Old 02-22-2013, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 28,471 times
What about BPA? Are they BPA free? That's a dangerous chemical used in molten plastic that seeps into the fluids stored inside the container over time and it's the reason why you're not supposed to reuse bottles unless they are specifically BPA free, mostly plastic water bottles. It's a health hazard and risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness