U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 PM

15,145 posts, read 15,198,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I was going to ask if you tried this? It loosens up the mucous and you cough it out. I also did the steam tent with some eucalyptus oil in it but that helped more with my sinuses than the cough.

Yep, the cough syrup was a HUGE help. If I did not have it, I would not have been able to sleep due to the fact that the cough was terrible at night. Bought 2 big bottles at Walmart for about $1.29 a piece...real life-saver. That guaifensen is like a miracle decongestant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 11:26 PM

10 posts, read 15,852 times
Mucinex will loosen the congestion

Delsym will help the coughing, probably better than codeine

NAC - Nac-Acetyl Cysteine - you can find it in health food stores -- real ones, not General Nutrition. This is also a mucus thinner, works differently than Mucinex so you can take both at the same time.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:28 AM

819 posts, read 1,284,200 times
Thanks everyone for the replies, I just went to the doctor again today. I've been taking Robitusin DM which contain dextromethorphan and guaifensen but that didn't seem to help my nightime cough (it was really bad at night). I've also tried honey, herbal tea with lemon, chicken soup, drink lots of fluids but nothing seems to help. The doctor gave me a prescription cough suppressent and also took a sample of my mucus to make sure it's nothing serious. She said if it's not bacterial the only thing I can do is get my rest and help my body fight it. Hopefully this new cough medicine helps me sleep. I've been staying up until 2, 3 or even 4 in the morning the past few days. It's horrible.

At this point in my life I'm almost paranoid about my health. I'm know I don't have the strongest body so I have to take care of myself. I hope I can sleep tonight.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:33 AM

6,233 posts, read 18,119,501 times
The reason you cough so violently at sleep is because your sinus doesn't drain effectively when you lie down. Prop your head up if you can; sleep in a lazy-boy if practical. Do everything suggested to thin that mucus; steam your bathroom several times a day for relief. Mucinex-D or DM will help and its possible at night you might want to double the dose which is within guidelines but when I need double dose I take a pill every 6 hours so that I always have 1 dose running in my system at all times.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:10 AM

91 posts, read 411,563 times
First of all,tell dour doc you are not getting better.The yellow mucus is a sign of infection and therefore you definately need the anti biotics.You are not getting any sleep at night and coughing even more then because when you lay down,your bronchial tubes lay over as well and are therefore lying against the side walls and getting or rather resting in the mucus laden walls wich in turn causes you to cough and cough because you are in a snce choking.( fluid in your lungs makes you cough to try to expel the foreign matter.The body knows there should only be air in there and no fluid )try laying on about three or four pillows wich in a sence makes you almost upright from the waist up.Lay on your back. This will help a lot.kEEP AN ICE COLD COCA COLA HANDY.iFyou start to cough a lot and can't catch your breath wether day or night,take a few swigs and the acid in the coke will cut the phlegm in your throat for a spell.The vicks thing in the bathroom is good.If you have none you can simply turn on the hot water in your sink and when it starts to steam ,bend over and put a towel over your head as well as over the faucet and breath in the steam. Meanwhile, keep taking your meds.You may need something stronger or different all together.Delsyn is the best over the counter cough suppressant you can buy.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 8,541 times
I logged in looking for the answer to this exact question. I could have written that post. I just completed a zpac and entire box of mucinex dm and I have been using zicam nasal spray. My chest is so tight and congested. If I laugh or talk to strenuously I have coughing fits. I had to sleep on the couch the other night because I was keeping my husband up all night. I, too, am coughing up yellow mucous. Looking for some more help. New grandbaby is about to be born who will be living in this house. Concerned!

Old 06-08-2013, 01:23 PM

6,233 posts, read 18,119,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazfam80 View Post
I logged in looking for the answer to this exact question. I could have written that post. I just completed a zpac and entire box of mucinex dm and I have been using zicam nasal spray. My chest is so tight and congested. If I laugh or talk to strenuously I have coughing fits. I had to sleep on the couch the other night because I was keeping my husband up all night. I, too, am coughing up yellow mucous. Looking for some more help. New grandbaby is about to be born who will be living in this house. Concerned!
You didn't mention water, it really does help thin that yellow mucus, drink lots of it and keep taking the Mucinex DM until your lungs clear out. I'd ditch the Zicam for a saline spray which can be used as often as needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness