U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 05:30 PM

30,368 posts, read 31,235,051 times

Advertisements

An 11 year old dies due to a misdiagnosis that started with a cut to his arm during basketball practice:
Parents of 11-Year-Old Who Died of Septic Shock Say Hospital Sent Their Son Home "Desperately Ill" | Parenting - Yahoo! Shine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 10:09 AM

69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In my case, the doctors at the ER were checking for heart symptoms rather than appendicitis when they misdiagnosed me with gastritis.

My father's cousin always use to say that the reason that it is called "practicing medicine" is because the doctors are still practicing on us (the patients).
of course they are still practicing, they are learning all the time, or let's hope they are. What would your uncle have perferred? Sorry, I have the upmost respect for the medical field period: I have never had a bad experience in an emergancy situation with one exception and that wasn't anything serious...

I believe we live in an unperfect world, mistakes happen, luckily, for most of us, we make it though life without those mistakes costing us our lives or even our health. This does not mean, never are doctors or anyone else guilty of negligence, but it is very rare. We hear of the bad cases but not the 99.9999% of the good outcomes.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:39 PM

30,368 posts, read 31,235,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course they are still practicing, they are learning all the time, or let's hope they are. What would your uncle have perferred? Sorry, I have the upmost respect for the medical field period: I have never had a bad experience in an emergancy situation with one exception and that wasn't anything serious...

I believe we live in an unperfect world, mistakes happen, luckily, for most of us, we make it though life without those mistakes costing us our lives or even our health. This does not mean, never are doctors or anyone else guilty of negligence, but it is very rare. We hear of the bad cases but not the 99.9999% of the good outcomes.
My uncle? I never mentioned an uncle.

What about doctors not following up on medical exams results? Are these simply mistakes or misdiagnosis?

Old 07-31-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
My uncle? I never mentioned an uncle.

What about doctors not following up on medical exams results? Are these simply mistakes or misdiagnosis?
Fathers cousin, not uncle: as for not following up, that is a different story altogether. My feelings and you or no one else will change them is: most doctors and most ER dept go out of their way to make sure mistakes are not made. As I have said, no, they are not perfect, yes they make mistakes and yes, on very rare occassions they are negligent, but these cases get attention because they are rare. For every unfortunate story there are literally thousands of stories of people being saved because of the fast treatment in an ER. I know, I have seen it with my own eyes..

Nita

Old 07-31-2012, 04:46 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,849,730 times
A few weeks ago my SIL became very ill. She was in excruciating pain in her back and legs and generally hurting all over. She was unable to eat or drink anything. After a few days of this, her son finally took her to the ER during the mild of the night. They told her she was just dehydrated, put her on an IV for a while, then sent her home with pain killers. No tests, nothing. This continued for several more days. It was so bad she would pass out if she just stood up. Again her son took her to the ER. Same thing again. No diagnosis, no tests, nothing, just an IV and some more pain killers and send her home. This continued still longer and finally her son took her to another doctor. (She's in the military, so he took her to the doctors on the base, rather than a private hospital this time). They did all sorts of tests, ran MRI's etc. It turned out she has a rather bad case of West Nile Virus. She has since spent several days in the hospital and is finally out and convalescing at a relatives home. I couldn't believe they never even tried to find out what was wrong beyond being dehydrated. Didn't anyone think to find out why she was so dehydrated?

Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
A few weeks ago my SIL became very ill. She was in excruciating pain in her back and legs and generally hurting all over. She was unable to eat or drink anything. After a few days of this, her son finally took her to the ER during the mild of the night. They told her she was just dehydrated, put her on an IV for a while, then sent her home with pain killers. No tests, nothing. This continued for several more days. It was so bad she would pass out if she just stood up. Again her son took her to the ER. Same thing again. No diagnosis, no tests, nothing, just an IV and some more pain killers and send her home. This continued still longer and finally her son took her to another doctor. (She's in the military, so he took her to the doctors on the base, rather than a private hospital this time). They did all sorts of tests, ran MRI's etc. It turned out she has a rather bad case of West Nile Virus. She has since spent several days in the hospital and is finally out and convalescing at a relatives home. I couldn't believe they never even tried to find out what was wrong beyond being dehydrated. Didn't anyone think to find out why she was so dehydrated?
What a story, thank goodness she is home again and improving. I am floored this happened, but I guess nothng is always perfect. WHere was she, what state, was in a major city? I hope it wasn't OKC where my granddaughter works? I am sure it wasn't...Usually when someone is dehydrated for more than a day or so, tests are done. I do know, at this time of the year with all this heat, the first time they told her she was dyhydrated isn't unusual. Apparently there is a lot of that. Did she have a family doctor she could have seen? Whenever we have been in the emergancy room, regardless of how serious or not the diagnoses is, they always tell us to see our family doctor in a day or so.Nita

Old 07-31-2012, 09:12 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,378,573 times
Hospital death rates unveiled for first-time comparison - USATODAY.com

Old 07-31-2012, 09:24 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,849,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What a story, thank goodness she is home again and improving. I am floored this happened, but I guess nothng is always perfect. WHere was she, what state, was in a major city? I hope it wasn't OKC where my granddaughter works? I am sure it wasn't...Usually when someone is dehydrated for more than a day or so, tests are done. I do know, at this time of the year with all this heat, the first time they told her she was dyhydrated isn't unusual. Apparently there is a lot of that. Did she have a family doctor she could have seen? Whenever we have been in the emergancy room, regardless of how serious or not the diagnoses is, they always tell us to see our family doctor in a day or so.Nita
She's in the DFW area. She's in the military, so she finally went to her doctor there.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:56 PM

38,697 posts, read 45,095,355 times
When my wife had a colonoscopy at 10 am and at 12 noon she was sent home. About 4 hours later she was in severe pain. We called the doctor that did the procedure and she said that it was normal to have pain after the anesthesia wore off. Well an hour later I called back and said my wife is crying in pain, so severe that she couldn't stand up. Doc said well take her to the ER and have her checked out. At the ER they said the same thing that it was just an after effect of the colonsocopy. I said that is not the case she is in severe pain and I want something done now. Well after 6 hours of back and forth complaining they agreed to do a x-ray. Guess what, they found a perforated colon from the colonoscopy and she was bleeding internally quite profusely, so then they rushed her into surgery to repair it at 1:30 in the am. At 9:30 am they said it was time to go home, but she said she didn't feel well, so they checked her blood pressure and it was way below normal, so they kept her that day. Then that evening she developed a heart murmur from the stress and had to spend 3 days in the hospital.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
She's in the DFW area. She's in the military, so she finally went to her doctor there.
I don't know what hospital she went to in DFW area but there are some really outsanding ones and some that probably would be better imploted...I am glad she is doing better and really glad it wasn't the hospital my granddaughter works in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness