U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:48 AM

30,307 posts, read 31,181,855 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how often medical misdiagnosis occurs in the ER meaning the patient is sent home with a wrong diagnosis. Then the patient needs to return within 48 hours to the ER and more tests are done. Then a potentially life-threatening situation is found and the patient needs an emergency operation as soon as possible.

Any thoughts or comments on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 08:53 AM

6,233 posts, read 18,119,501 times
I seriously hope that never happens but I've heard news reports that it does.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:46 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,712,600 times
I don't know of any specific examples, but I'm sure it does happen. OP, did this happen to you?

Old 06-08-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
I don't know of any specific examples, but I'm sure it does happen. OP, did this happen to you?
Yes and I know one other person that it happened to (who lives in a different part of the country).

Old 06-08-2012, 07:34 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,712,600 times
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that your health is good now.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:44 PM

13,103 posts, read 17,634,355 times
I am so sure that it happens all the time . I knew a lady who did not have any health insurance and she went to the er complaining of terible stomach pain and they sent her home and said it was gas and well she went back two hours later in severe pain and vomiting . It was really apendicitis and the surgeon told her as soon as they got the dog gone thing out it burst . she could have died had she stayed home .

Old 06-08-2012, 09:29 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,857,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I was wondering how often medical misdiagnosis occurs in the ER meaning the patient is sent home with a wrong diagnosis. Then the patient needs to return within 48 hours to the ER and more tests are done. Then a potentially life-threatening situation is found and the patient needs an emergency operation as soon as possible.

Any thoughts or comments on this?
Please provide specifics regarding this case. It's hard to respond without a few details.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:04 PM

14,311 posts, read 12,565,603 times
A friend of mine kept getting chest pains.

He went to a local hospital..... they told him to make an appointment with a gastroenterologist and sent him home.....he made an appointment the next day.

The next time he had the pain he went to our other local hospital.....he was told the same thing. {while waiting for his gastro appointment}

The third time he was visiting a friend in the hospital in a nearby city when he had the same chest pains. {still waiting for his appointment date}

A nurse there told him to go to their emergency department immediately.

This time they diagnosed a heart attack. The very next day he had a stent put in at that hospital.

His ex mother-in-law saved his life.....that is who he was visiting at the third hospital. LOL

Last edited by Annie53; 06-08-2012 at 10:14 PM..

Old 06-08-2012, 11:40 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,364,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
A friend of mine kept getting chest pains.

He went to a local hospital..... they told him to make an appointment with a gastroenterologist and sent him home.....he made an appointment the next day.

The next time he had the pain he went to our other local hospital.....he was told the same thing. {while waiting for his gastro appointment}

The third time he was visiting a friend in the hospital in a nearby city when he had the same chest pains. {still waiting for his appointment date}

A nurse there told him to go to their emergency department immediately.

This time they diagnosed a heart attack. The very next day he had a stent put in at that hospital.

His ex mother-in-law saved his life.....that is who he was visiting at the third hospital. LOL

crickeys--scary stuff!!!
I think people have to be proactive with their health issues. If I went to the ER and was about to be sent on my way without any reasonable answer or diagnosis I would tell them I'm not comfortable with going home under these conditions so please have someone in charge come speak with me. And I would NOT sign the release forms to leave until I was satisfied.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I am so sure that it happens all the time . I knew a lady who did not have any health insurance and she went to the er complaining of terible stomach pain and they sent her home and said it was gas and well she went back two hours later in severe pain and vomiting . It was really apendicitis and the surgeon told her as soon as they got the dog gone thing out it burst . she could have died had she stayed home .
My situation was similar although I did have health insurance. I was told I had gastritis and sent home as the hospital did not do a CT-Scan (although it was mentioned but it was not done). The next night I starting throwing up everything I tried to eat. So again I went to the ER after waiting 4-5 hours a CT-Scan was finally done and I had appendicitis plus something that looks like the beginning of Krohn's/Crohn's Disease (which I currently do not have). Again it took several hours until I was operated on. I too could have died during those 48 hours or more due the misdiagnosis. So again I wondering how common it is that this happens and why does it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness