U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 04:43 AM

6,030 posts, read 4,706,289 times

Advertisements

Four weeks ago I sprained my ankle. Hurt incredibly bad and I thought I might have broken it, so to the ER I went. After xrays and an exam I was diagnosed with a grade 2 sprain. I wore a brace, did the RICE routine, took ibuprofen for week.

Well it mostly feels better now, but my ankle is still hugely swollen. This is my first sprain, is this abnormal to have swelling for so long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 11:41 AM

491 posts, read 1,209,176 times
Standard medical procedure is bad when it comes to soft tissue injuries. Find a Chinese acupuncturist who will do a combo of acupuncture and massage - the swelling is due to blood, pus and other fluids that are trapped. Massage, while painful, will help blood circulation and drainage of the extra fluids. It may take a few visits since you are very swollen.

If you are very fluid filled, the acupuncturist may want to puncture and drain the areas. This is up to you - it's very painful but will provide a great deal of immediate relief. My brother did the drainage when he sprained his ankle playing basketball.

Also, move around as much as you can to aid circulation as well.

If you don't deal with the swelling, the area can't heal.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:11 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,078,148 times
You should go to your doc and request an MRI of the sprain. Many times a regular x-ray cannot pick up hairline fractures and they go undiagnosed. Because you still have swelling it is a huge concern...it indicates there is more wrong then just the sprain.

Everyone's different but the swelling should have been gone after 4 weeks. That is unless you haven't given it proper rest and were running on it or something like that. But if you've been off it and it's still swollen think MRI.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:19 PM

2,585 posts, read 7,019,471 times
Sprains can take MONTHS to heal....I've had major swelling after an ankle sprain up to 7 weeks after the initail injury. Just ice it, and take it easy. If you overdo it, the swelling can return. I wouldn't do the MRI unless rest didn't do the trick.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 AM

2,590 posts, read 6,360,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
You should go to your doc and request an MRI of the sprain. Many times a regular x-ray cannot pick up hairline fractures and they go undiagnosed. Because you still have swelling it is a huge concern...it indicates there is more wrong then just the sprain.

Everyone's different but the swelling should have been gone after 4 weeks. That is unless you haven't given it proper rest and were running on it or something like that. But if you've been off it and it's still swollen think MRI.
It is not a "huge concern" to still have ankle swelling 4 weeks after a sprain, it isn't even a "minor concern" it is in fact quite normal.

How do you think the treatment will differ if this person shells out the money for a MRI to diagnose a hairline fracture???

Treatment won't differ at all, I wouldn't put a patient in a cast or boot 4 weeks after a sprain OR a "hairline" fracture. I would just have them continue activity modification until symptoms subside.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Sprains can take MONTHS to heal....I've had major swelling after an ankle sprain up to 7 weeks after the initail injury. Just ice it, and take it easy. If you overdo it, the swelling can return. I wouldn't do the MRI unless rest didn't do the trick.
Exactly right.....

Old 06-11-2012, 11:01 AM

I made an appt with an ortho dr for later this week. The swelling isnt soft, it feels like bone. Its only somewhat tender and the pain is mostly gone. But Ive got this golf ball sized swelling that is hard as bone still. So..being seen for a possible dislocation. Ugh I really hope it's not that!

Old 06-11-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I made an appt with an ortho dr for later this week. The swelling isnt soft, it feels like bone. Its only somewhat tender and the pain is mostly gone. But Ive got this golf ball sized swelling that is hard as bone still. So..being seen for a possible dislocation. Ugh I really hope it's not that!
Trust me, you wouldn't be walking on it if it were dislocated.....

Old 06-11-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Trust me, you wouldn't be walking on it if it were dislocated.....
I really hope you're right. I had back surgery recently and that burned all my fmla. It was successful and I was back to mountain climbing with no probs. But in this job market, Im sure I'll be let go if I have to get more surgery. This is stressing me out. Walking is no prob though. Im getting a lot of clicking and popping in there now also. I didnt have that before.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:13 PM

5,854 posts, read 6,598,261 times
A sprain loosens things up and you're more likely to get the clicking and popping. You're also probably paying a lot more attention to that ankle than you do usually.

Have you tried an ankle support or wrap, the thin kind that you can wear a shoe over? It would help with the swelling and probably make your ankle feel more stable while it heals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness