U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 05:45 PM

15,044 posts, read 13,095,907 times

Advertisements

Over the past six months I've noticed my appetite isn't as hearty as it used to be, but I still managed to eat a decent amount of food and even gained some weight. However, over the past several days my appetite has greatly diminished. I've struggled to eat one meal and a snack or two per day. Generally I feel nauseous and lethargic. At times I feel hungry, but I'm still not in the mood to eat. I've been drinking "breakfast" shakes in order to get at least some proper nutrients, but I'm sure I'm malnourished. I've also started keeping a food journal.

For some background, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis a year and a half ago. I've been taking Asacol and Azathioprin (immunosuppressant) for about the same amount of time. The colitis is mostly in remission and my last colonoscopy (March 2012) showed no signs of colon cancer. Apparently these drugs I'm taking could cause nausea and liver problems, but I'm not one hundred percent sure. I have a previously scheduled appointment with my doctor a month from now, but should I try to push it up or wait? In the meantime I'll try to eat small meals and snacks, but I'm not comfortable going on like this for several weeks if there's a problem that needs to be addressed. Not only that, but my job requires physical exertion and I'm concerned about losing more weight than I already have. I should also point out that I got some routine blood work done this weekend, so I'm kind of hoping something catches the doctor's attention.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 06:49 PM

6,233 posts, read 18,119,501 times
Asacol and Imuran! My husband used to take the same cocktail for Crohn's Disease. Because the cost of the Asacol was expensive he quit taking it and gets the Imuran generic which is what you take, I believe. He isn't healthy, but he gets by and its been 16 years since his last resection. Nothing was found in his last colonoscopy. I don't know if dropping the Asacol is your answer.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Asacol and Imuran! My husband used to take the same cocktail for Crohn's Disease. Because the cost of the Asacol was expensive he quit taking it and gets the Imuran generic which is what you take, I believe. He isn't healthy, but he gets by and its been 16 years since his last resection. Nothing was found in his last colonoscopy. I don't know if dropping the Asacol is your answer.
How is he not healthy? Has he dealt with similar symptoms? While lack of appetite is an issue, I think I would rather deal with that than go through another bout of colitis. I'm sure I could find a way to make sure I get the proper nutrients needed to sustain myself.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:20 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,713,147 times
Your lack of appetite is probably your response to ugly side-effects after eating! Once you get your colitis under control, your appetite will likely return. No one wants to do something that makes them feel awful....and eating makes YOU feel bad!

Old 06-10-2012, 07:34 PM

6,233 posts, read 18,119,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
How is he not healthy? Has he dealt with similar symptoms? While lack of appetite is an issue, I think I would rather deal with that than go through another bout of colitis. I'm sure I could find a way to make sure I get the proper nutrients needed to sustain myself.
He's had 2 resections now and has had Crohn's for 30 years now. When you lose part of your digestive system it messes with normal functions. He is a smoker too which probably just makes everything that much worse and he is not pro-active as you say you are!

In order to get him to eat more they'd prescribe prednisone and he'd gain weight like crazy but it is a dangerous steroid he hopes never to have to take again.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Your lack of appetite is probably your response to ugly side-effects after eating! Once you get your colitis under control, your appetite will likely return. No one wants to do something that makes them feel awful....and eating makes YOU feel bad!
I guess I should have been more clear. My colitis is under control. My doctor said it was still present in my colon during the last colonoscopy, but at that point I wasn't suffering from the symptoms of UC.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
He's had 2 resections now and has had Crohn's for 30 years now. When you lose part of your digestive system it messes with normal functions. He is a smoker too which probably just makes everything that much worse and he is not pro-active as you say you are!
Sorry to hear about your husband. While UC is bad, Crohn's is a bit more serious. I'm lucky in that sense. Still though, my entire digestive system could be affected from the UC and nasty medications necessary to subdue it.

Edit: I was on prednisone for eight months last year. I'm glad to be off of it.

Last edited by ilovemycomputer90; 06-10-2012 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: additional comment

Old 06-10-2012, 10:30 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,364,838 times
Quote:
have you tried Ensure? The chocolate is quite yummy and it's supposed to be a wonderful supplement

Old 06-11-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
have you tried Ensure? The chocolate is quite yummy and it's supposed to be a wonderful supplement
I do plan on buying it.

Good news is today I was able to eat two slices of pizza for lunch (not that pizza is good for you, but it's something), though I think five days of low nutritional intake has taken its toll on my overall energy.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:47 PM

69,256 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Over the past six months I've noticed my appetite isn't as hearty as it used to be, but I still managed to eat a decent amount of food and even gained some weight. However, over the past several days my appetite has greatly diminished. I've struggled to eat one meal and a snack or two per day. Generally I feel nauseous and lethargic. At times I feel hungry, but I'm still not in the mood to eat. I've been drinking "breakfast" shakes in order to get at least some proper nutrients, but I'm sure I'm malnourished. I've also started keeping a food journal.

For some background, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis a year and a half ago. I've been taking Asacol and Azathioprin (immunosuppressant) for about the same amount of time. The colitis is mostly in remission and my last colonoscopy (March 2012) showed no signs of colon cancer. Apparently these drugs I'm taking could cause nausea and liver problems, but I'm not one hundred percent sure. I have a previously scheduled appointment with my doctor a month from now, but should I try to push it up or wait? In the meantime I'll try to eat small meals and snacks, but I'm not comfortable going on like this for several weeks if there's a problem that needs to be addressed. Not only that, but my job requires physical exertion and I'm concerned about losing more weight than I already have. I should also point out that I got some routine blood work done this weekend, so I'm kind of hoping something catches the doctor's attention.
if you have an appointment is a month, I don't think I would change it, but if you are really worried it wouldn't hurt to call and see if you can move it up. It might give you peace of mind. I doubt that there is any problem that would be so serious that a few weeks or so would really make a difference. Heck even when treating my husband's cancer, the doctors don't worry about a month or so for this or that.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness