U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 04:00 PM

224 posts, read 472,488 times

Advertisements

Since my last one was born nearly 4 years ago, I have had irregular periods. One will last 2 months, then 4 months with nothing, then a 3 month period.
I get so tired, so anemic, so much in pain.. it's horrible.

Over the years it has worn me down to just pitiful health. My last gyn was a hippie, of the lets eat better and everything will fix itself variety. I tried her way, but still gained another 30 lbs in 2 years. Then we tried hormones which made my bones brittle and me sick every day.

My new gyn did some actual testing and found an abnormal pap, high dheas, high testosterone, high androgens, highly anemic, high white cell count..
She said possible endometritis, since there were no polycystic ovaries noted on the scan..

I have an appointment in over a week to discuss what else might be going on, but I have to wait a month for an appt with the endocrinologist.

Has anyone else seen this combination of weird? What was it for you? How was it treated? I just like to know I'm not alone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 05:21 PM

16,929 posts, read 19,666,757 times
How old are you??? You may need to have a D&C as well. I had something almost similar.From January 2011-to March 2012 my periods were very heavy, big clots. I was so scared I called my GYN and thought I had to go to the ER. He said it was nothing to worry about and to make an appoint to have a sonogram done. I had a small fibroid on one of my ovaries about the size of a pea maybe a bit larger and some polyps. His suggestion to me was to Join weight watchers. I was also suffering from hot flashes (I am 41) and he said if I lost weight my hormone inbalnace would correct itself and my periods would get regular again. I had to have a D&C in June 2011. Since then I have lost 52 lbs and My periods are regular, last only 3 days and are not that heavy. I had a normal pap though but my hormone levels were out of whack. I am not anemic or have a high white blood cell count. Good luck to you and ask qestions, go for a 2nd opinion if needed. I did hvae a higher level of testosterone though.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:05 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,083,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgandjsmom View Post
Since my last one was born nearly 4 years ago, I have had irregular periods. One will last 2 months, then 4 months with nothing, then a 3 month period.
I get so tired, so anemic, so much in pain.. it's horrible.

Over the years it has worn me down to just pitiful health. My last gyn was a hippie, of the lets eat better and everything will fix itself variety. I tried her way, but still gained another 30 lbs in 2 years. Then we tried hormones which made my bones brittle and me sick every day.

My new gyn did some actual testing and found an abnormal pap, high dheas, high testosterone, high androgens, highly anemic, high white cell count..
She said possible endometritis, since there were no polycystic ovaries noted on the scan..

I have an appointment in over a week to discuss what else might be going on, but I have to wait a month for an appt with the endocrinologist.

Has anyone else seen this combination of weird? What was it for you? How was it treated? I just like to know I'm not alone...
Screw that.

Ask your doc for a Mirena. It's the absolute best. No periods, no babies. Anaemia can kill you, or totally ruin your life. I cannot understand why they aren't treating your problems more seriously...or maybe I can, they're "only women's problems".

Old 06-11-2012, 09:37 PM

I'm 30, if that makes a difference.

The DR on the phone today said we could discuss endometrial oblation, but I am scared something else, something BIGGER is wrong. I mean, that will take care of the irregular periods but what will it do for the hormones?

I had my large intestine removed 6 years ago, so I don't metabolize oral hormones, just get sick from them... But because of the hormones I don't lose weight, I just gain gain gain.

I wasn't really overweight when this all began, so I don't know what help weight watchers would be in my case...
I'm so nervous about the whole thing...

Old 06-11-2012, 09:53 PM

Mirena is an IUD. No oral contraceptives required.

It really is wonderful.

What they are doing is temporary fixes, which will keep you coming back again...suprise! More money for Doctor.

You absolutely need a second third or even fourth opinion. I cannot believe they've let you suffer so much, for so long.

I've got some friends who have had a hysterectomy due to the issues you describe. The relief was enormous. One friend was back at work 4 days later, it's no longer the massive operation it was, it is keyhole surgery nowdays.

I actually asked my doctor if I could have one...lol....she was horrified...

Old 06-11-2012, 09:56 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,404,322 times
I had a month long period once and that was hell so I can't imagine how bad it must be for you. I could barely walk by the time it was all over and the gyn gave me some pills that made it worse so I turned to my herbology and took some dong qwai and that fixed it and they canceled the hysterectomy, after I got scolded for taking matters into my own hands. Make sure you supplement your diet with iron, b-vitamins, and a special B-12, methylcobalamin, which is more absorbable and make sure you take vitamin C and stool softener with your iron pills though you probably know more about this by now than I do.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 AM

It's been hell that's for sure. I'm too tired to live or care about anything . I'm sick and exhausted ALL the time...

Old 06-12-2012, 02:01 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Mirena can help with -heavy- periods - but they mean heavy -normal- periods, not heavy 4-month-long periods. If you have periods lasting a few MONTHS at a time, then something is wrong, and you have to find out what that is, and get it treated. Mirena is not for that. Prolonged periods is not the same as heavy periods. Mirena's website, and product packaging, specify VERY clearly that it is NOT for anyone with endometritis or endometriosis, and any woman who develops either after having Mirena inserted, needs to have it removed ASAP.

In other words, prescribing Mirena to someone who has endometritis is DANGEROUS.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:09 PM

That's good to know.
Before we got any results back, one of the things the doc was pushing really hard was Mirena. With my history of problems, I didn't like the thought of an IUD.
The better informed I can be before I go in tomorrow the better off I will be. I need to know how to advocate for myself, and it's hard because I don't even know what is wrong with me.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:53 PM

[quote=AnonChick;24713515]Mirena can help with -heavy- periods - but they mean heavy -normal- periods, not heavy 4-month-long periods. If you have periods lasting a few MONTHS at a time, then something is wrong, and you have to find out what that is, and get it treated. Mirena is not for that. Prolonged periods is not the same as heavy periods. Mirena's website, and product packaging, specify VERY clearly that it is NOT for anyone with endometritis or endometriosis, and any woman who develops either after having Mirena inserted, needs to have it removed ASAP.

In other words, prescribing Mirena to someone who has endometritis is DANGEROUS.[/quote]

OP, I cannot believe you have been allowed to go through so much for the last 4 years. It is inexcusable.

I 100% agree that 4 month long periods are totally unacceptable and similar to what my friend had, which turned out to be some sort of tumour. It actually sounds to me like you may be a prime candidate for a full hysterectomy, which is certainly not the end of the world.

Try the Mirena first. It is NOT DANGEROUS. It will not kill you. They just will not recommend it for someone with preexisting medical conditions, for legal reasons.

Mirena will most certainly help 4 month periods, because you get hardly any periods at all, which is why one doctor has actually already suggested it.

No periods = no endo, no anaemia, no babies, no hormones. Just...nothing. The new thinking in medicine revolves around the concept that menstruation should be viewed as a disorder and we should not have to endure one at all unless we actively wish to get pregnant. I love that thinking, bring it on.

I still get a period but I do not even have to buy any feminine products, that's how light it is...and I'm on a natural cycle for the first time in my adult life and was thrilled to find at 47 that it's every 25-28 days, exactly like it's supposed to be. Some months, I only get a sore lower back and I get no other physical symptom at all, I don't even know until I look at the calendar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness