U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:55 AM

72,855 posts, read 64,312,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
OSA is common in the obese but as I said BABIES can be born with it and about 20% of sufferers are not obese, according to my pulmonologist. I am average weight and I've had it for years, starting when I weighed 120 in my 20s.
The sleep clinic I went to said almost everyone has it, including children, to some degree. The clinic has resolved ADHD in kids by giving them CPAP machines to improve sleep at night. Losing weight did nothing to improve it for me. Taking steroid drops to resolve my adrenal fatigue did help resolve the OSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 02:19 PM

15,732 posts, read 17,308,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I've never heard of OSA before, but I have heard of sleep apnea. I had another issue and had to go in to see the Doc today and had to have a STAT C-Scan. I felt like someone was choking me and couldn't swallow well. It isn't as bad now as it was in the am. What could this be~? Do you know~?
Do you have a goiter and do you eat soy as part of your vegetarian diet???

I cannot eat soy at all. It makes my throat feel like it's closing up because it irritates my thyroid. I have a goiter so it makes it feel like I've swallowed an orange whole.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:54 PM

2,391 posts, read 3,871,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Do you have a goiter and do you eat soy as part of your vegetarian diet???

I cannot eat soy at all. It makes my throat feel like it's closing up because it irritates my thyroid. I have a goiter so it makes it feel like I've swallowed an orange whole.
Since I am taking "Synthroid", I am not eating any soy. I only recently cut it totally out so my choices for breads have changed. I've never had any issues with soy. I always thought it was good for you, but apparently not now.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:46 PM

9,459 posts, read 16,429,915 times
Veggienut you have mentioned blood sugar issues before and I know that if your blood sugar drops too low you can get really sleepy. I have found that I can't eat any starchy or sugary food before I drive a long distance or I will get so sleepy I have to pull over and take a nap at McDonald's so it might be a good idea for you to take note of what you've had to eat before these sleepy episodes.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:06 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,820,037 times
It can work out that way with high blood sugar also, Stepka. High and low blood sugar have some of the same symptoms for many people (although with me personally I get anxiety when my sugar is too low - the symptoms vary a lot for individuals).

Old 06-23-2012, 05:16 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,090,217 times
Quote:
I'm not a vegan, or a strict vegetarian. I eat eggs, dairy products and fish (but not daily). Just had some yogurt for breakfast and coffee About 30 years ago I had severe migraine and long story short....once I gave up eating meat I haven't had a migraines. It works for me but may not for others, as I say.
I suffer migraines and agree you would do anything to avoid them. I'm not judging, just saying that reintroducing small amounts may help.

I eat mainly vego myself because I prefer it, but I grew up with "meat and three veg" upbringing so try to make sure I have at least one of those basic type meat based meals a week. If I start to feel a bit tired or run down, it's usually because I've neglected to have some red meat in the previous week or two and a nice medium rare steak will pick me back up again.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 10 days ago)

20,369 posts, read 25,515,545 times
Quote:
I'm tired now and lately can't keep my eyes open and need to lay down. I was very sleep today while driving too. I do have a thyroid issue and have been under Doctors care since last summer about it, but I thought I was under control with my meds. Maybe it is my dog waking me in the middle of the night when I am in a deep sleep too, could that be~? I have even been known to yawn in an exercise class. I was in earlier in the year for my blood work, but don't go back till Sept or Oct to the Doctor. Anyone have any ideas~or if you experienced this with your thyroid issue~?
I have Hypothyroidism and take the generic synthroid. I have problems with Synthroid.

My DH was having a very bad time with being tired all the time. He would go in and take a nap 3-4 times a day. It turned out he was vitamin D deficient. He know takes a weekly prescribed Vitamin D supplement and he feels so much better.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:37 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,090,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I have Hypothyroidism and take the generic synthroid. I have problems with Synthroid.

My DH was having a very bad time with being tired all the time. He would go in and take a nap 3-4 times a day. It turned out he was vitamin D deficient. He know takes a weekly prescribed Vitamin D supplement and he feels so much better.
My SIL was vit D deficient too.

Considering we live in the sunniest state in one of the sunniest countries in the world, this was pretty hard to do...usually only those permanently inside get it, like people in hospitals or rest homes.

All these years she was on the moral high ground, eating no meat, covering herself and her kids compulsively with sunscreen and hats, even on the dullest day...now she's had to regret all of it, because it all contributed to her leg break being so extreme. She was in a wheelchair for months.

She honestly believed that she was living a healthier lifestyle than us meat-eating, sun-daring Aussies (she came from NZ originally), yet her own body has now forced her to become more like us. Ironic for me who suffered her rolling eyes and pointed remarks for years every time I ate a steak or let my kids play without hats.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:52 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,820,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
......She honestly believed that she was living a healthier lifestyle than us meat-eating, sun-daring Aussies (she came from NZ originally), yet her own body has now forced her to become more like us. Ironic for me who suffered her rolling eyes and pointed remarks for years every time I ate a steak or let my kids play without hats.
Hey, you Ozzies must be doing something right, your meat and sun loving country is #6 on a ranking of life expectancy for all nations.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:12 AM

2,391 posts, read 3,871,758 times
Could I be feeling the way I do (read my recent post) is because of my thyroid~? I feel awful today, but it is my stomach now, but I don't have a temp like I did the other day. I do feel like I have no energy but not to the point of weak and loosing my balance like I did the other day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness