U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 09:14 PM

2,391 posts, read 3,867,557 times

Advertisements

I'm tired now and lately can't keep my eyes open and need to lay down. I was very sleep today while driving too. I do have a thyroid issue and have been under Doctors care since last summer about it, but I thought I was under control with my meds. Maybe it is my dog waking me in the middle of the night when I am in a deep sleep too, could that be~? I have even been known to yawn in an exercise class. I was in earlier in the year for my blood work, but don't go back till Sept or Oct to the Doctor. Anyone have any ideas~or if you experienced this with your thyroid issue~?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 09:24 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,811,100 times
Tell your doctor and get blood tests done.

Remember that thyroid meds may not be absorbed properly in the presence of calcium, and should be taken at least an hour before drinking or eating anything containing it, including coffee with milk. I just take it on an empty stomach.

If you test out ok for t4 levels, there are a lot of other things that can cause drowsiness during the day. If you are fat, you might have sleep apnea as I do. Tell your doctor about this sleepiness with some concern, or else he might not take it very seriously - keep repeating until he comes up with something likely (doctors can get bored listening to tales of tiredness and shrug it off if you're not insistent).

Old 06-14-2012, 09:31 PM

72,676 posts, read 64,140,481 times
The sleepiness during the day, especially while driving, sounds more like sleep issues, apnea, or similar problems. Low thyroid generally doesn't cause sleepiness during the day. Fatigue, possibly, but that's different from sleepiness. Consider having a sleep study done. Insurance will pay for it. People at any weight can have apnea. Woof is right that you should tell your doc the sleepiness is presenting a danger, because you have trouble staying awake while driving. He'll have to act on it if you tell him that.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Tell your doctor and get blood tests done.

Remember that thyroid meds may not be absorbed properly in the presence of calcium, and should be taken at least an hour before drinking or eating anything containing it, including coffee with milk. I just take it on an empty stomach.

If you test out ok for t4 levels, there are a lot of other things that can cause drowsiness during the day. If you are fat, you might have sleep apnea as I do. Tell your doctor about this sleepiness with some concern, or else he might not take it very seriously - keep repeating until he comes up with something likely (doctors can get bored listening to tales of tiredness and shrug it off if you're not insistent).
I know to take my thyroid meds on an empty stomach. I do take Calcium, but take it in the afternoon if I don't forget (which happens a lot). I'm not fat, but petite. I've never had a weight issue until my thyroid problem came up, but I've lost those extra pounds and back to my old self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The sleepiness during the day, especially while driving, sounds more like sleep issues, apnea, or similar problems. Low thyroid generally doesn't cause sleepiness during the day. Fatigue, possibly, but that's different from sleepiness. Consider having a sleep study done. Insurance will pay for it. People at any weight can have apnea. Woof is right that you should tell your doc the sleepiness is presenting a danger, because you have trouble staying awake while driving. He'll have to act on it if you tell him that.
One of the side effects of hypothyroidism is tiredness. I didn't know and during that time I was yawning in a cycle class and the instructor made a joke about me doing that I laid down for an hour, like 6p and didn't feel revived when I woke up. I'm about to go to sleep now and am still tired. Usually, I'll drink some relaxing tea, but don't need it tonight.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:14 PM

2,972 posts, read 4,308,563 times
Your tiredness could be anemia as well as hypothyroidism. You need to get blood tests done to check iron levels as well as red blood cell counts. If you still have menstrual periods that can contribute to the anemia. Other things that contribute asr sleep apnea and stress. Hope you feel bettter soon.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:21 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,713,106 times
I agree that you need to have some blood tests done. Whenever I start feeling sluggish my meds usually have to be adjusted.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:37 PM

944 posts, read 1,365,477 times
get to a doctor STAT before you fall asleep behind the wheel and hurt yourself and others unintentionally. last winter, A elderly man fell asleep driving and killed a mother and a child. the elderly man was unharmed.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:28 AM

Called the Doc's office, but can't get in till Tuesday. I am tired even tho I drank coffee, but not as tired as yesterday....yet.

Quote:
get to a doctor STAT before you fall asleep behind the wheel and hurt yourself ...
Just dozing at the stop lights only.

**Thanks for everyone concern**

Old 06-15-2012, 10:42 AM

I'm going in a few hours to see a different doc in the office. I'm having other symptoms and feel really bad. I hope it isn't my thyroid, but my throat is bothering me. I've had so many health issues in the past year and all I need is another issue.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:08 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,730,772 times
Keep us posted as to what you found out. I have hypothyroid too and find that I get fatigued during the day when my meds need adjusting. It could also be anemia, vitamin D deficiency or adrenal insufficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness