U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:49 PM

15,069 posts, read 17,034,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enolihi View Post
I live with a smoker who refuses to smoke outside or to another room. In the winter, I suffer from bronchitis, swelled nasal passages and have trouble breathing sometimes. He is my companion. I love him, but I can't stand another winter of being sick all the time. What can I do? He won't listen to me.
It might be too late, but one of these days he will figure out that cigarettes are killing him & you. They killed my beloved wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 10:15 PM

16,487 posts, read 20,332,656 times
If your partner loved you he/she would not be inflicting their smoke on you, espeically knowing you are suffering from health issues related to it. It is bad enough that he/she smokes period, but the fact that they cannot even go outside to do it is uncalled for. You have to think of your health and your future, even though your partner obviously isn't.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:36 PM

4,793 posts, read 6,504,876 times
If you can not afford to live apart I would stop doing everything in and around the house.No cooking,housekeeping,any form of affection. Maybe that will help wake him up.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:41 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times
Yes. Your own "smoke free" room.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:16 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,964,314 times
5 months tomorrow without a cigarette!!I never realized how much ashtrays STINK!

Old 06-18-2012, 06:32 AM

6,739 posts, read 8,540,895 times
What is so damned hard with going outside to puff? If they truly care, they would do that. Obviously they don't care that much...

Congrats Capt. Dan.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:47 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,964,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
What is so damned hard with going outside to puff? If they truly care, they would do that. Obviously they don't care that much...

Congrats Capt. Dan.
Thanx!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:27 AM

6,233 posts, read 18,123,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
5 months tomorrow without a cigarette!!I never realized how much ashtrays STINK!
Congratulations!

I am an ex-smoker living with an addicted inconsiderate cigarette smoker who is unemployed and can't find a job! You'd think not having any money would be enough to MAKE someone quit but it isn't. Having trouble meeting bills, I put my foot down and made him switch brands. $15-20 cheaper per carton; of course, we smoked Marlboro's, almost the most expensive manufactured cigarette you can buy! He doesn't like it; complains that they don't burn the same. They don't burn right because of FSC not the brand. FSC has made them more dangerous than they were before. He burns things. I found a burn hole in our comforter last month! I've been waiting years for him to burn himself up; just hope no one else is around him when it happens! His health is failing. Emphysema, COPD, Asthma among other things and he won't quit. Inconsiderate smokers don't care who is around them when they light up! He blows smoke in your face and in our pets face and doesn't think twice about it.

When FSC came to our state in 2010 I switched to roll-your-own tobacco. There are certain pipe tobacco's that you can buy that roll up just fine and burn well and is taxed at a lesser rate. Missing is all of the chemicals the manufacturers put into their cigarettes but I longed to be done rolling; it took time I didn't want to invest in the process so I started looking at personal vaporizers, aka e-cigarette. I will be smoke free 2 years in September. I don't know if I will ever quit vaping but the smoke isn't harsh like smoke from a cigarette. I can smell again and taste again! Oh yuck, yes ashtrays stink...burning cigarettes stink! What were we ever thinking? Usually when you eat something you don't like the taste of...you don't eat it again. As a child I hated peas. As an adult I still hate peas. I avoid them at all costs!

Time wasted...you can't smoke inside almost anywhere. You can't smoke outside at city events and the like. He misses time with his grandchild because he has to go out and smoke. He's dying and I've accepted that especially because he seems to have accepted it and won't make any changes to prolong his life. It's not like there is too much worth it there!

So OP you have to decide if your health is worth causing a split. I can see a showdown in our future. I bet you can see one too!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:47 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,533,242 times
Putting aside all the problems that smoking may cause the companion, the fact that he refuses to do that for you does indicate that the 'love' doesn't go both ways.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:52 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Visit some assisted living facilities (randomly) and meet some people dragging around 02 tanks and breathing through their necks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness