U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:52 AM

69,289 posts, read 79,469,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enolihi View Post
I live with a smoker who refuses to smoke outside or to another room. In the winter, I suffer from bronchitis, swelled nasal passages and have trouble breathing sometimes. He is my companion. I love him, but I can't stand another winter of being sick all the time. What can I do? He won't listen to me.
probably not much; I know how hard it is living with a smoker, my husband lived with one for about 20 years after he quit. At least the smoker was considerate and never smoked in the house. yes, it was me, of course. I smoked very little, luckily so the winters I survived and so did he. In fact I quit when I decided it was just too frickin cold and really stupid sititng outside in the freezing winter just to have a cigarette.

Even though iI have known many people who have smoked thier entire lives and lived to be in their 80s and 90s, I know many who have had their lives cut short by smoking or spent many years dragging the oxygen around with them.

Obviously you seem to care a great deal about him, but does he really care about you or himself for that matter?

Now, I will add one more little thing and I know many will disagree with me: I doubt all your bronchitis etc is caused by second hand smoke; some of it yes, but not all.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
5 months tomorrow without a cigarette!!I never realized how much ashtrays STINK!
isn't it a good feeling. I never realized how much cigarettes stunk: almost 4 years for me.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:22 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,539,506 times
Some of the replies make me wonder if I've understood you correctly.
Are you looking for advice how how to get him/her to quit or just not smoke inside?
My earlier reply only referred to not making you live with it inside your house.
Sharing usually is a good thing in a relationship......but not this kind.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:18 PM

10 posts, read 15,154 times
Ok, I get what everyone is saying, but you obviously care about him and don't WANT to leave him. Have you asked him to maybe limit smoking to one room of the house? Like maybe the bathroom with the vent on? Or have you tried getting air purifiers? Or maybe get him e-cigarettes and ask him to smoke those in the house? As an ex smoker, I can guarantee that no matter what anyone says he isn't going to quit unless he really wants to and no amount of pressure or coaxing will help and may even do more harm than good. It's a terrible addiction. Instead of trying to force him to stop, maybe talking about some compromises will at least make the habit more bearable for you.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:26 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,858,563 times
If this individual is unwilling to take steps to insure your health and safety, it may be time to consider whether or not he is a good companion for you.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,210,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enolihi View Post
I live with a smoker who refuses to smoke outside or to another room. In the winter, I suffer from bronchitis, swelled nasal passages and have trouble breathing sometimes. He is my companion. I love him, but I can't stand another winter of being sick all the time. What can I do? He won't listen to me.

Forget it, dump him.........a Filtha****e smoker will never put you over their stinky addiction.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:44 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,369,507 times
It doesn't **** you off that he is so selfish and has no concern for YOUR health?

Does he "love" you?

If so, how does he show it?

Will he quit smoking in the house when you have to have an oxygen tank hooked up to you 24/7?

Old 06-18-2012, 11:08 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,858,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It doesn't **** you off that he is so selfish and has no concern for YOUR health?

Does he "love" you?

If so, how does he show it?

Will he quit smoking in the house when you have to have an oxygen tank hooked up to you 24/7?
^^ Yeah...what she said. ^^

Old 06-19-2012, 06:21 AM

As much as I can't understand why he will not reach a compromise somehow and somewhere I will add: for those of you who have never smoked you have no idea how addicting cigarettes can be..Yes, many of us have quit, yes, it can be done, but studies have shown it is the most addicting drug there is because it is both physically and mentally addictive. Many drugs are just one of these. What the OP has not told us is, what reason does he give for not be willing to at least compromise? Has he explained to her his reasoning? Is he just selfish and controlling or has he explained he just can't quit? OP, fill us in, will ya?

Nit

Old 06-19-2012, 09:50 AM

7,288 posts, read 10,369,507 times
We're talking about taking his addictive habit outside so she can breathe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness