Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 04:11 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,153,907 times

Advertisements

Hopefully someone can better answer this than I can. Because of my law enforcement background a friend thought I might know but I don't. If someone has a past history of addiction to Oxy is there a safe and non opiate based pain med that they can be prescribed if in pain from surgery or a serious injury? A pain med that works well enough for this person to not lie when asked about their history?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 04:44 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,689,058 times
While MDs refrain from writing presciptions for opiates to those with past addiction issues, it is a bit different when the medication is indicated for a medical reason ie serious surgery, trauma etc.

Given in a controlled environment and in the lowest dose possible, opiates are excellent pain relievers. Prior to discharge, MD would see that the person is weaned off opiates onto other medicines...

And sent home with a strong anti-inflammatory med presciption or OTC suggestions.

Of course, a patient can request no opiates...

Old 06-17-2012, 05:18 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,153,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
While MDs refrain from writing presciptions for opiates to those with past addiction issues, it is a bit different when the medication is indicated for a medical reason ie serious surgery, trauma etc.

Given in a controlled environment and in the lowest dose possible, opiates are excellent pain relievers. Prior to discharge, MD would see that the person is weaned off opiates onto other medicines...

And sent home with a strong anti-inflammatory med presciption or OTC suggestions.

Of course, a patient can request no opiates...
In a perfect world this should happen. But. Considering the persons circumstances I don't think "controlled environment" comes into play here. It's more along the line of hoping they are smart and can control what they are given. I know they were given a hydrocodone/acetaminophen prescription for a pretty good injury and they may have surgery coming up.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:01 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,689,058 times
Oh...I see, not a hospitalization etc.

SO, they did not mention past addiction to the MD?

Yep, that could become a problem...

Does this person has a sponsor or a spouse/friend who could dole out meds but only in the time frame as written by MD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
In a perfect world this should happen. But. Considering the persons circumstances I don't think "controlled environment" comes into play here. It's more along the line of hoping they are smart and can control what they are given. I know they were given a hydrocodone/acetaminophen prescription for a pretty good injury and they may have surgery coming up.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:26 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
An alcoholic relative, now sober 11 yrs, was given some pain pills after oral surgery. When they realized they took a 2nd pill too soon 'cause they liked the feeling, they called a friend who came and got the pills and would come over and dole out 1 at a time. Seems like a good option for anyone who has addiction issues.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-18-2012 at 06:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness