U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:25 AM
 
508 posts, read 597,763 times
Reputation: 948
Default Everything i eat tastes too salty?

I’ve been having the strangest problem- everything I’ve been eating lately tastes way too salty. I’m talking foods I ate comfortably till about last month, and now it tastes very salty. It’s the strangest thing. I’ve used the same organic chicken stock for at least the last year, if not more, and last week I made quinoa with it, and it tasted like I poured a handful of salt on it. My husband said it tasted normal to him. This weekend my husband and I shared a flat bread pizza for lunch. I ate one bite and thought, whoah, easy on the salt in this thing. At the same time, my husband reached for the salt shaker to put more on. This has been going on with almost everything (unless it’s very sweet) for the past month.

Doing some internet self-diagnosis, the two biggest reasons I found were dehydration and pregnancy. Now dehydration is definitely not the cause… a few years ago I suffered so badly from dehydration that I landed up in the hospital. Since then, I am constantly drinking water and staying hydrated. I definitely drink more than enough water and am very hydrated. I am on the pill and I am 99.9% sure I am not pregnant (no other symptoms). I doubt this is a possibility, but fair enough, and I’ll look into that. The only other change I’ve had recently is that my doctor’s had me taking Vit D pills as I am deficient. I am not a smoker or anything like that (which I've heard can affect tastebuds etc).

Anyone else ever experience something like this? Any ideas on possible causes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:44 AM
 
Location: PA (work in NJ)
5,947 posts, read 6,644,953 times
Reputation: 11192
I wonder if there is some imbalance in your electrolytes? I only thought of that because I used to be very prone to dehydration as a kid, and as an adult I drink LOTS of water. So much, that some times I have flushed out too many of my electrolytes, like potassium, sodium, and magnesium. My symptoms were more like dizziness, shakiness, lightheadeness, but I wonder if it's possible that you've flushed our too many of your salts, and now anything with a hint of salt seems too salty? Though I'm not sure, because I tend to crave salt when I'm too flushed-out, and anything salty tastes delicious.

Try Gatorade, or as I prefer (because it comes in a flavor-free version) Pedialyte, for a few days, and drink your water as usual, and see if there is any change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-18-2012, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Tucson for awhile longer
4,128 posts, read 3,710,906 times
Reputation: 10091
I know you said you're taking Vitamin D (good that your doctor checked, lots of people need to supplement that), but have you had your thyroid checked lately? Low vitamin D levels are often seen in people with hypothyroidism. Also, are you taking any other kind of medication? I know that antidepressants, anti-anxiety medication, various pain medications, etc., can mess with your taste buds pretty drastically. I actually have a terrible time feeding my elderly mother because she's always saying something that tastes perfectly normal has something wrong with it. Meanwhile, she would eat sweets all day. Her doctor says that's common in the elderly because of meds they're on.

Let us know if you find out the cause. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-19-2012, 06:24 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
45,940 posts, read 34,656,522 times
Reputation: 18677
This happened to me years ago, but it was after I had an illness and the doctor said my problem was a salavary gland infection. Of course it didn't last for a month, only about a week. Yours sounds a little different.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-19-2012, 07:55 AM
 
508 posts, read 597,763 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I wonder if there is some imbalance in your electrolytes? I only thought of that because I used to be very prone to dehydration as a kid, and as an adult I drink LOTS of water. So much, that some times I have flushed out too many of my electrolytes, like potassium, sodium, and magnesium. My symptoms were more like dizziness, shakiness, lightheadeness, but I wonder if it's possible that you've flushed our too many of your salts, and now anything with a hint of salt seems too salty? Though I'm not sure, because I tend to crave salt when I'm too flushed-out, and anything salty tastes delicious.

Try Gatorade, or as I prefer (because it comes in a flavor-free version) Pedialyte, for a few days, and drink your water as usual, and see if there is any change.
A girl I workout with mentioned the same thing. She suggested adding a dash of seasalt to my water for a bit and see if anything changes. That may be too salty for me , but maybe I will give Pedialyte a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I know you said you're taking Vitamin D (good that your doctor checked, lots of people need to supplement that), but have you had your thyroid checked lately? Low vitamin D levels are often seen in people with hypothyroidism. Also, are you taking any other kind of medication? I know that antidepressants, anti-anxiety medication, various pain medications, etc., can mess with your taste buds pretty drastically. I actually have a terrible time feeding my elderly mother because she's always saying something that tastes perfectly normal has something wrong with it. Meanwhile, she would eat sweets all day. Her doctor says that's common in the elderly because of meds they're on.

Let us know if you find out the cause. Good luck.
I am 26, so not elderly... No other meds. I do take a Centrum vitamin and probiotics daily, along the the D3. Not sure if he checked my thyroid. Would there be any other symptons if this is the cause? Either way, I am having a following up with my doctor for the Vitamin D this month, so I can bring it up to him.

I will let you know if I find anything new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:53 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
45,940 posts, read 34,656,522 times
Reputation: 18677
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
A girl I workout with mentioned the same thing. She suggested adding a dash of seasalt to my water for a bit and see if anything changes. That may be too salty for me , but maybe I will give Pedialyte a try.



I am 26, so not elderly... No other meds. I do take a Centrum vitamin and probiotics daily, along the the D3. Not sure if he checked my thyroid. Would there be any other symptons if this is the cause? Either way, I am having a following up with my doctor for the Vitamin D this month, so I can bring it up to him.

I will let you know if I find anything new.
wonder what ever happened with this one: OP never got back and it has been over a year!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top