U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 10:21 PM

4,752 posts, read 2,180,671 times

Advertisements

I was wondering whether it was better to peel, or not peel, when giving apples as a snack to children. My apples were peeled when I was a child, and I always peel my apples. The apple peel is very healthy, but it looks like the apples might be peeled prior to testing. It's hard to tell from the article:

“EWG researchers compile the Shopper's Guide and the Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen lists from pesticide residue tests conducted by USDA and FDA scientists, who made public their most recent round of results earlier this year. Since government scientists wash or peel samples before testing them, pesticide measurements reflect the likely pesticide loads of produce when people eat it. EWG's ranking uses six measures of pesticide hazards, among them, the number of pesticides detected on a crop and the percent of sample stesting positive.”

http://www.ewg.org/release/apples-top-ewgs-dirty-dozen

http://www.ewg.org/news/news-releases/2000/04/01/banned-pesticide-others-found-washington-state-apples

If the test samples, like apples, are peeled then it’sprobably because there is a different level in the peel, and it could skew results. On the other hand, pesticide free organic apple-skins are very healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 07:31 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,636,559 times
Organic apples grown in OLD orchards are grown in soil that contains arsenic. In fact, the older the orchard, the more likely it is to contain arsenic. The land isn't required to test at zero arsenic, for an organic grower to grow organically. Rather than listen to the hype of "organizations" with financial interests in the promotion of organics, go to an actual organic orchard and ask the farmer himself.

Organic doesn't equate with arsenic-free. It doesn't even equate with pesticide-free. Organic farms are ALLOWED to use certain chemical pesticides, and still maintain their organic certification.

If you like the taste of organic apples more, or you prefer to buy apples only local and only in-season, or you like the idea of "getting back to your roots" and supporting organics, go for it.

But don't fool yourself for a moment by believing the hype about supposed health risks in not buying organic. That's what it is. Hype. It's the same hype that lets organics sell for MUCH higher, because the lobbyists pay the political agenda groups to hype it.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:52 AM

17,252 posts, read 14,829,843 times
I use a spray-on fruit/veggie wash from a company called Environne'. The label says "proven to remove pesticides, waxes and chemicals". It's sold in the produce section of my supermarket. Not sure if it works, but it makes me feel better, especially for fruits like grapes, etc that it's not practical to peel.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:55 AM

2,081 posts, read 2,324,918 times
I'm not sure if it matters or not, but when I purchase apples, I take regular soap and scrub them because I LOVE the skin of apples. I'm just hoping that the pesticides can be scrubbed off and are not like bonded to the skin. Because that would be a bummer.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:10 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
Apple trees are not sprayed after the fruit forms. They are sprayed to kill pests before the fruit forms, and by that time, the pesticide has either washed off naturally or become inert over time. Sprays that are applied later on break down so quickly that there is little or no danger there will be any harmful residue on the fruit when picked.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:00 AM

17,999 posts, read 17,159,915 times
Apples top list for pesticide contamination in 2014 - Health - CBC News

According to this article, a pesticide that is banned in Europe is applied to American apples when they are put into storage.

I would say--always peel apples, I don't think you can just wash much of the stuff off.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/37986527/n.../#.U25NdvldU2Y

Old 05-10-2014, 10:50 AM

3,442 posts, read 4,473,937 times
I used to have 10 apple trees on my dairy farm in MN.

I sprayed them, but the instructions on the pesticide said if it rained, the pesticide no longer was effective for insects.

Doesn't sound like there was much deep absorbtion or the effectiveness wouldn't have been lost simply by a rain hitting the apples.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:58 PM

14,653 posts, read 29,708,617 times
I always peel my apples, but that is because I have trouble eating/swallowing the skin.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:43 PM

238 posts, read 684,496 times
Yes, but not enough to make it worth while. I would just wash it well and eat it.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:20 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,636,559 times
The source of the apple scare is EWG, which exists to profit from fear-mongering. They do a little song and dance, with illusions and half-truths, leading the reader to do their bidding. And then, they ask for donations so they can continue their "research."

They'll tell you that farmers are allowed to expose 30-something different pesticides to their apple trees.

What they don't mention, is that there exists no farmer in the entire world, who would spray 30-something different pesticides on a tree. And there exists no apple in the world that has had 30-something different pesticides sprayed on it.

They count on the gullible to not notice that they omitted this no-brainer, because the gullible will then be led down the slippery slope into full-fledge panic - right into the front door of the local Whole Foods center.

Clearly, they do a good job of it, because Whole Foods is profiting and opening more stores nationwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness