U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 09:20 PM

919 posts, read 1,864,660 times

Advertisements

I recently read that apples have a huge amount of pesticides that are on them(and/or in them). Would peeling an apple make it pesticide free or maybe much less?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 09:39 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
You can get rid of any pesticide residue from apples by rinsing them and then drying them with a paper towel or napkin before you eat them. Think of it as giving them a quick buff and shine. You don't have to peel them. If you want something stronger than water, you can add a couple drops of lemon juice to the water. If you're worried about arsenic, don't. Arsenic is found, in -some- orchards, in trace amounts in the soil. The amount that ends up in the apple as a natural growth process is negligible, contrary to Dr. Oz's false reports. However, you should avoid eating the seeds, because -they- contain cyanide. But that's not because of pesticide. They just grow that way. It's one of the chemical components of appleseeds.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:08 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,236,559 times
Apple skin is soft enough for any pesticide sprayed on them to penetrate inside the apple. Buy organic apples.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:30 AM

69,277 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Apple skin is soft enough for any pesticide sprayed on them to penetrate inside the apple. Buy organic apples.
I think the organic versus pesticide thing is being overdone, not to mention many people don't have the funds to buy Organic....If we wash our apples and other friuts well, including even lemons and limes we should be just fine. Many of us have been living 50, 60 years or longer, do you think pesitcides have just started to be used? Now, if you can afford organic and you really do worry that is one thing, but organic is not the only answer.

Nita

Old 06-23-2012, 09:42 AM

14,649 posts, read 29,692,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think the organic versus pesticide thing is being overdone, not to mention many people don't have the funds to buy Organic....If we wash our apples and other friuts well, including even lemons and limes we should be just fine. Many of us have been living 50, 60 years or longer, do you think pesitcides have just started to be used? Now, if you can afford organic and you really do worry that is one thing, but organic is not the only answer.

Nita
I am in total agreement with you. Sometimes I buy organic (if available, and price is right) but other times buy conventional. I just wash everything. In the case of apples, I cannot digest the skin anyway, so organic or not, I have to peel them.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:08 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I recently read that apples have a huge amount of pesticides that are on them(and/or in them). Would peeling an apple make it pesticide free or maybe much less?
You want the truth ? Here it is:

EWG Home | Environmental Working Group

Old 06-23-2012, 03:15 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,435,467 times
It is not just what is ON the plant/fruit but what is inside it. Pesticides get into the grown and up into the tree itself.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:49 PM

38,677 posts, read 45,030,920 times
Real-world people shop at supermarkets, and real-world affordable fruits and vegetables contain pesticide residues. Not everybody can buy organic; not everybody is a gardener. Here are easy and effective ways to reduce your chemical consumption...
DoctorYourself.com - Pesticide Avoidance

Old 06-24-2012, 11:21 AM

69,277 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
You want the truth ? Here it is:

EWG Home | Environmental Working Group
again,this is a matter of who you want to believe and the enviornmentist against the main stream population. There is probably some truth on both sides, but pesticides are not a new invention and most of us have been doing just fine, eating our fruits and vegetables with some resadue on them. Common sense is what we all need to use, which means just that, no one needs to let the panic doctors scare them so much they are afraid of everything.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:37 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
again,this is a matter of who you want to believe and the enviornmentist against the main stream population. There is probably some truth on both sides, but pesticides are not a new invention and most of us have been doing just fine, eating our fruits and vegetables with some resadue on them. Common sense is what we all need to use, which means just that, no one needs to let the panic doctors scare them so much they are afraid of everything.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are wrong. I prefer not to eat fruits and veggies with Round-Up ready seeds that withstand massive doses of pesticides that don't even kill the bugs they were designed for, and killing thousands in 3rd. world countries. Look at the lawsuits against Monsanto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness