Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 04:32 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times

Advertisements

I was in a sort of family owned restaurant that employs HS kids from the area this past Saturday, they make Philly subs, burgers, shrimp baskets, fries, stuff like that.

You walk out smelling like you have been deep fried....ok, I told you my secret. I am back to eating meat. Seems all the stress I was under just made me stop eating meat.

I got a cheeseburger and fries. I sat there, and ate alone. My husband had the kids for the most of the weekend.

I noticed something I thought was insane.

Someone ordered a bacon cheeseburger combo and I am facing towards where they cook everything.

THEY DEEP FRIED THE BACON!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!

It came out perfect. Almost the same size as when they put it in, crispy, not over done or under done, but geez! Bacon is for the most part.. FAT! and they DEEP FRIED IT!!!

Has anyone else encountered this? Would this method be better than frying it? WTH???

I am putting this in health and not food because of the health issues I think it has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 06:50 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,016 times
I only eat bacon once or twice a year, so I think I'd survive

Old 09-27-2007, 10:51 AM

443 posts, read 1,792,929 times
I wouldn't think that deep frying bacon in fat is better or healthier that cooking it in its own grease. Thats like covering up dog poop with horse manure.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:19 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor_McCheese View Post
I wouldn't think that deep frying bacon in fat is better or healthier that cooking it in its own grease. Thats like covering up dog poop with horse manure.

LOL! You are funny Mayor!

I'd actually be more concerned about whether the bacon was your typical bacon loaded with nitrates(known to cause cancer) or was it organic without nitrates.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:05 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
You have made me decide to cook bacan and eggs for breakfast this a.m. I have not eaten bacon in many many moons. why? it isn't good for you. at least my bacon is nitrate free. it is frozen at this moment. my husband eats it now and then.

i guess deep frying gets it done faster.

speaking of which. I have a friend that used to love eating french fries, etc. at fast food places, and then he began collecting the fat to make bio-diesal. he decided to never eat deep fried foods at those places ever again.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:38 PM

453 posts, read 2,100,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
I am back to eating meat. Seems all the stress I was under just made me stop eating meat.
Glad to see that you came around

though deep-fried bacon isn't healthy, don't count out regular bacon. saturated fat is still an important nutrient, and many dieticians, nutritionists, etc. recommend either 3-7% of your caloric intake or 1/3 of your fat intake be saturated fat. so though bacon isn't a great food, it can be a part of a healthy diet.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:45 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Since our microwave died over the summer (and we never replaced it) we don't make much bacon. It's one of the few 'meats' my son eats but it's just not healthy. We ate so many 'breakfasts' out moving/in the driving process I just don't miss it.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:51 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,281,758 times
Smile Bacon!!! Love the smell

I don't eat bacon , except for once or twice a year, but I love the smell of it frying with fresh ground coffee perculating in the background, the aroma
Oh!! I almost forgot what I was about to say. This may or may not be odd;
but i was stationed somewhere between here and there
and someone invited us to breakfast about 20 years ago, and they had washed the bacon strips (thick) pretty lean, and had dredged them in flour with black pepper, and fried them in a pan filled with veg oil about 1/4 inches thick. But you talking about crisp and delicious and we couldn't help but be amazed at the original size of the strips after frying and it wasn't greasy....HMMMMMMMMMM
So we started cooking bacon this way until we stopped eating it.
A tip for those who still eat it though!!!!!

Old 09-29-2007, 03:37 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
Well, after reading this thread this is the second time this year I had bacon. I had it with toast and scrambled eggs. I gave my dogs most of the bacon though.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:27 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdude View Post

though deep-fried bacon isn't healthy, don't count out regular bacon. saturated fat is still an important nutrient, and many dieticians, nutritionists, etc. recommend either 3-7% of your caloric intake or 1/3 of your fat intake be saturated fat. so though bacon isn't a great food, it can be a part of a healthy diet.
The reason why dietitians recommend that people eat saturated animal fat is because they received their information about diets from the meat industry.
Saturated fat is the stuff that clogs the arteries. It should never be recommended.
Monounsaturated is the best choice. Think olive oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness