Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:57 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times

Advertisements

I've had an ingrown hair for a few months - I did not realize at first what it was. Now I work on it every few days, using tips off the internet, getting the puss out.
I found this thread, http://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...rown-hair.html
but does all that advice help get the hair out? I'm not having a problem getting all the gross stuff out, just not the hair. I'm not sure if I can even see it. Is there any hope? Do I need to go to the doctor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 09:10 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
An ingrown hair should clear itself up within a few days...it sounds like you have a cyst not an ingrown hair.

I think you should leave it alone before you end up causing a secondary infection. Use some antibiotic cream on it and you've had it l onger than a week...go to a doctor.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:57 AM

I can see the hair follicle with no hair coming out, that's why I figure it's ingrown, and it's been a few months, so I don't know where that hair went. It has never hurt (only a little when I touched it) and never discolored.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:22 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Sometimes you can even check with your local pharmacist. He/she could tell you better.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:25 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I can see the hair follicle with no hair coming out, that's why I figure it's ingrown, and it's been a few months, so I don't know where that hair went. It has never hurt (only a little when I touched it) and never discolored.

An ingrown hair will continue to grow and it will grow out...if you've had this this long, it's time to see a doctor. I'd hate to see you end up with a nasty infection.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:30 PM

Thank you...I know I'm being stubborn, but I have one more question....I found this on a website. First it says
"sometimes it misses the hair follicle and instead curls back and grows into the skin to form an ingrown hair." then it says
"let the hair grow out. When hairs are long enough, they won't curl back into the skin."
I'm confused....if it misses the follicle and starts to curl back, how does it fix itself when it gets longer?

Old 06-26-2012, 06:09 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
I think they mean stop shaving to prevent more ingrown hairs, ....they aren't talking about the already "ingrown" hair!

If you can get a steralized needle under the hair shaft and get the hair above the skin, you can use tweezers to pull the entire hair out... then clean the site and treat as you would any pimple.

I'm assuming you're a man...always shave WITH the direction of hair growth...don't shave against it! Especially with curly haired men, that can really cause ingrown hairs.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 170,096 times
I have a question, I shaved and I have popped what I thought was a ingrown hair and it was a whitehead I thought I got it all out it went down but now it's hard under the skin. What is that? Should I call the doctor

Old 04-21-2013, 08:46 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
It could be an ingrown hair, I am NOT doubting you. It also could be a sebacous cyst especially if it is on your back. If it keeps filling up, getting red, itching and emptying a lot of yellowish stuff that looks like cottage cheese it probably is a sebacous cyst (oil gland infected/plugged). What it took for me to get rid of mine is seeing my doctor and having same-day surgery to remove it. It was about the size of a pea and filled up again when I finally saw it removed. Either taht or chances are it will continue to fill and empty like mine did.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:10 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Have either of you tried soaking a washcloth in very warm to almost hot water and letting it sit on there for awhile? I can't say for how long but try it a couple times until the cloth gets cool to the touch. If after that, you still can't see or do anything, I'd make an appointment to see either your primary care physician and/or (based on your insurance requirements - get a referral) to a dermatologist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness