U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 02:49 PM

11,062 posts, read 8,980,576 times

Advertisements

I started showing signs of a nasty flu about 2 weeks ago. A week and a half later my wife started showing signs. I am still not fully recovered but better for the most part. My question is, can my wife and I keep passing it back and forth? I'm worried now that I'm finally better and she's sick as a dog that I'll get it back from her. I'm not sure if I'm immune to it since I had it already or if it can mutate and I can get it again?

We are trying real hard to not spread germs. I clean often and have been sleeping in a different bed. I just don't want a cycle to keep going on of us passing it back and forth.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 09:41 PM

27,425 posts, read 17,619,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I started showing signs of a nasty flu about 2 weeks ago. A week and a half later my wife started showing signs. I am still not fully recovered but better for the most part. My question is, can my wife and I keep passing it back and forth? I'm worried now that I'm finally better and she's sick as a dog that I'll get it back from her. I'm not sure if I'm immune to it since I had it already or if it can mutate and I can get it again?

We are trying real hard to not spread germs. I clean often and have been sleeping in a different bed. I just don't want a cycle to keep going on of us passing it back and forth.
Basically the answer is no. Once you have had a particular strain of the flu (there are a variety of different strains. 2012-13 Immunization for H1N1 and H3N2 (A strains) and the Yamagata strain (B strain), you should be immune to it. So you can't pass it back forth. you can catch a different strain.

Some exceptions can be made. During the H1N1 pandemic of 1918 it mutated so you could catch it more than once, but that's the exception.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:19 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,130,161 times
Sleeping together, families with kids - need I go on? Don't worry about it, we've been surviving on this planet and co-existing with other homo sapien life forms for millennia - and we haven't fallen to extinction yet the last time I looked. Follow the establishment propaganda and you'll be too scared to breath at all!

Old 06-26-2012, 06:06 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,713,147 times
You may have developed something else because of the flu...pneumonia comes to mind! See a doctor if you don't feel better soon!

Old 06-27-2012, 01:29 PM

725 posts, read 1,320,922 times
One thing overlooked is your toothbrush.
Are you still using the same one?
You should soak it everyday in chlorox for a while til you and wife are over the flu.
And then regularily at least every week.

AND - Take Vitamin D3!!!

Remember - Sugar depresses the immune system - so lay off ALL sugar!

Old 06-27-2012, 03:03 PM

12,422 posts, read 14,547,993 times
Mr_Geek.....I'm thinking no...your bodies already won that war, so for that strain you're probably good to go.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 PM

11,062 posts, read 8,980,576 times
Thanks everyone. We are both feeling better now. We did take good care of our tooth brushes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness