U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 03:58 PM

20,187 posts, read 12,831,584 times

Advertisements

The Pill Kills - 2012 - The Pill Kills Women and Babies

A web site talking about the medical issues with the pill. Watch the videos and post what you think. Thanks. Many law suits in the past and now because women have been hurt.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:01 PM

Default The Pill's Impact on Minority Communities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD9SlYinpi8b

Old 06-25-2012, 04:25 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,770,331 times
I believe the pill is safer than both pregnancy and abortion. I think most people would consider it to be a better and more moral option than having a child when you aren't ready or than having an abortion.

It's one thing to be against abortion, but why in the world would anyone have a problem with birth control pills?

Old 06-25-2012, 04:36 PM

From the web site-------

How the Pill Kills Women
The birth control pill and other birth control products can and have killed women not only in the United States, but all over the world. Oftentimes the pill leads to cardiovascular problems which can result in death.
Moderator cut: can only quote a snippet and give link
Simple? Sure.
Convenient? Depends.
SAFE? NO WAY!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-25-2012 at 05:39 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 07:12 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,560,173 times
I was on the pill for 5 years in my 20's (when the dosages were much higher than they are today), and again for another 5 years in my 30's, and I was a heavy smoker for all of those years. Today at 55 my heart is still in good shape. There are risks with the pill as with almost any medicine, but millions and millions of women have used the pill with no ill effects.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:31 PM

21,512 posts, read 26,128,168 times
I did not listen to the videos. I did read the slides for the Lafranche talk.

It is obvious that Lafranche has cherry-picked her references. I was amused by slide number 18:

http://www.thepillkills.com/pdf/ppt_lanfranchi.pdf

Highlighted in big red letters:

"They had higher rates of violent death."

Ignored:

"The estimated absolute reduction in all cause mortality among ever users of oral contraception was 52 per 100,000 years."

In other words, this one slide contradicts the thesis of the entire talk. Dr. Lafranche hoisted herself on her own petard.

For every 100,000 women who use the pill for one year, 52 fewer users die than nonusers. The pill does not kill, it saves lives.

The remainder of the talk emphasizes relative risks, rather than absolute risks. This exaggerates the danger.

The fact is that strokes, heart attacks, and blood clots are uncommon in the age group of women that use the pill. That means that even if the relative risks are increased, the absolute risks remain low.

Lafranche's references also go back to the 1980s, when drastically higher hormone doses were used.

There is also research that contradicts her references:

DocGuide

This was a large, long term prospective study.

"Notably, there was an 8% risk reduction for any cardiovascular disease among women reporting oral contraceptive use, according to investigator Rahi Victory, MD, Fellow, Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan."

"Dr. Victory and colleagues found that women reporting contraceptive use had significantly reduced risk of ovarian and endometrial cancer (odds ratios of 0.81 and 0.82, respectively). There was no association between oral contraceptive use and risk of breast, cervix, colon or bladder cancer."

Oral contraceptives do not cause abortions. Abortions do not cause breast cancer.

Abortion, Miscarriage, and Breast Cancer Risk - National Cancer Institute

"These newer studies examined large numbers of women, collected data before breast cancer was found, and gathered medical history information from medical records rather than simply from self-reports, thereby generating more reliable findings. The newer studies consistently showed no association between induced and spontaneous abortions and breast cancer risk."

The connection between the speakers and the Catholic Church calls into question the motives behind the presentations. They appear to be a thinly veiled promotion of the church doctrine against contraception.

Any woman considering use of an oral contraceptive should discuss her personal risk factors with her doctor. Maintaining a healthy weight and not smoking can greatly reduce the risk of cardiovascular complications. For the average woman, the risk of a fatal complication from pregnancy is much higher than the risk of a fatal complication from use of hormonal contraception.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 06-25-2012 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Correct typo

Old 06-26-2012, 02:02 PM

69,306 posts, read 79,508,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I believe the pill is safer than both pregnancy and abortion. I think most people would consider it to be a better and more moral option than having a child when you aren't ready or than having an abortion.

It's one thing to be against abortion, but why in the world would anyone have a problem with birth control pills?
I would certainly agree. Almost all medication has side affects and can cause serious damage, but the alternatives are not good. As for the pill, I am sure it is a lot safer than it was when it first hit the market in 1965 about.

For those who think any form of birth control is wrong, that is their choice, but for most of society we have to decide what works for us and the pill is certainly the birth control choice of most.

Nita

Old 06-27-2012, 03:09 PM

12,430 posts, read 14,569,865 times
I figure it's a personal choice...we never went with the pill..no way...especially not when an iud works just as well, and has for hundreds of years....Call me wierd, but I attribute the high incidences of breast cancer, and the widespread infertility(once you're off them) to the pill.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:41 PM

64 posts, read 216,252 times
Agree. I have tried the pill many times (about 5) and my body just cannot tolerate it. Tried different brands, different configurations of hormones, low dose, etc. I get almost an immediate reaction-- severe migraines, crazy mood swings. It doesn't work for me at all. And doctors keep trying to get me to go on it-- "Oh, you had a cyst? Go on the pill!" "Wait, you aren't on the pill? Why not?" I think doctors really push it on women.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:02 PM

21,512 posts, read 26,128,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I figure it's a personal choice...we never went with the pill..no way...especially not when an iud works just as well, and has for hundreds of years....Call me wierd, but I attribute the high incidences of breast cancer, and the widespread infertility(once you're off them) to the pill.
"Hundreds" of years is stretching it. The history of the IUD only ges back to about 1909.

There is no evidence that oral contraceptives cause infertility. The information on breast cancer is contradictory. See my previous post for the study that did not show an increased risk of breast cancer in pill users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastthemiddle View Post
Agree. I have tried the pill many times (about 5) and my body just cannot tolerate it. Tried different brands, different configurations of hormones, low dose, etc. I get almost an immediate reaction-- severe migraines, crazy mood swings. It doesn't work for me at all. And doctors keep trying to get me to go on it-- "Oh, you had a cyst? Go on the pill!" "Wait, you aren't on the pill? Why not?" I think doctors really push it on women.
You may not be able to tolerate the pill. That does not mean others should not use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness