U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 12:39 AM

29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times

Advertisements

If I had a rabies shot for every cat scratch I suffered in my life...well, there wouldn't be enough rabies shots for that. Sometimes you have to assume that the rare, .0001% ISN'T going to happen to you. If it did I'd probably be looking forward to the next weeks lottery more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 01:25 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,277,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If I had a rabies shot for every cat scratch I suffered in my life...well, there wouldn't be enough rabies shots for that. Sometimes you have to assume that the rare, .0001% ISN'T going to happen to you. If it did I'd probably be looking forward to the next weeks lottery more.
You have a point, but I always felt it's better to be on the safe side especially when it concerns stray or wild animals.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:42 PM

3,634 posts, read 4,854,932 times
I got bit by a dog today actually, the doctor said it didn't look deep enough to get infected, but I found that the owner was about 3 months past due on the dog's rabies shots. All other shots were up to date. Do you guys think I should be worried? It was in a nice neighborhood and the dog was domesticated and looked healthy. Going to call animal control tomorrow. So do you think that 3 months past due on rabies shots is past the tolerance for the vaccine?

Old 10-24-2012, 09:33 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
Ask a vet.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:00 PM

3,634 posts, read 4,854,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Ask a vet.
I actually asked the people at animal control today and they said 3 months wasn't a big deal because of the tollerance of the vaccine, but I have a few more people to talk to and more questions to be answered.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:20 PM

1,280 posts, read 5,919,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I got bit by a dog today actually, the doctor said it didn't look deep enough to get infected, but I found that the owner was about 3 months past due on the dog's rabies shots. All other shots were up to date. Do you guys think I should be worried? It was in a nice neighborhood and the dog was domesticated and looked healthy. Going to call animal control tomorrow. So do you think that 3 months past due on rabies shots is past the tolerance for the vaccine?
Most likely you're perfectly safe. Technically though, the dog should probably be quarantined (this may be able to be done at its home) for 10 days. If it doesn't develop symptoms within 10 days then it isn't actively rabid and you can have some peace of mind.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:28 PM

40,885 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Wow, when I was a kid, I had to have the rabies series of shots, and it was 21 shots in the stomach - one each day for 3 weeks. It was FIERCE and you can imagine how well that went over with a five year old.

We lived in Japan at the time and there was a serious rabies outbreak, including several human cases (which were fatal). I had found a stray cat that was acting odd, and picked it up and it sort of casually reached over and bit me right on the neck, breaking the skin. Then of course I dropped it and it ran away (never to be seen again). My mother saw it happen out the window and of course freaked out, and off we went to the hospital, where everyone else freaked out and the shots began.

It was pretty intense! My how things have changed.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:58 PM

3,869 posts, read 12,502,193 times
It depends.
rabies vaccinations can be good for 3years+.
many vets vaccinate every year as it is easy money.

The important info would be when was the dog vaccinated last and with what vaccine.(there are different rabies vaccines)

Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,206 times
Default urgent...plz reply

i want to know that my friend to some of his friend's house and he has a puppy about 5-6 months year old and has bitten him above his eye....
he has taken tetanus injection but is there any need of having rabies vaccine too........??????

Plz reply....

Old 06-05-2013, 09:00 PM

21,485 posts, read 26,089,700 times
What country are you in? How prevalent is rabies in your area? Your friend should ask his doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness