U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 17,301 times

Advertisements

HELLO FRIENDS
HOPE YOU WILL HELP ME IN THE FOLLOWING SITUATION.
My friend owns a pomeranian dog which was vaccinated for rabies 2 and a half year ago(in our country, pet owners are not required by law to get pets vaccinated regularly).
I (30 years old) visited my friend at his home three days back (on 23.06.12). The dog was chained since I was an stranger for the dog (I went first time to my friend's home)and I fear dogs. Somehow, the dog broke loose and ran towards me. He didn't attack me at all but started playing with me near my legs. At the time, I was in shorts and wore nothing below knees. In the process, I got a scratch (below knee) which I don't know was from his nails or teeth. The scrath was mild and didn't bleed. I washed the scratch immediately with soap and water for 1-2 minutes. Later I came to know that I should have washed for 10-15 minutes and should have applied alcohol/iodine after washing which I didn't do. This dog sometimes comes in contact with other dogs and cows. The dog is pet and available for observation for 10 days.

My questions are

1. Should I go for rabies PEP and if not should I consult a physician.
2. Can I wait for 10 days to observe if dog starts showing any rabies symptoms.
3. Is there any chance that a rabid dog starts shedding rabies virus and doesn't die/shows symptoms even after 10 days.
4. If the dog was rabid, how many days I have left with to go for PEP successfully considering location of scratch and considering that it was a scratch not a bite.

Thanking all of you in anticipation and thanks to the forum founder.

Last edited by neerajlucky24; 06-26-2012 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: unwanted text characters appeared
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 11:14 AM

2,222 posts, read 9,137,109 times
These are questions for your doctor.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:04 PM

326 posts, read 570,706 times
If the dog is available for observation then there should be no need for the rabies vac. Was the dog previously in fights with other dogs or wild animals? Is there a reason to suspect the dog would have rabies?

About 3 years ago I was bitten by a stray dog I was trying to keep from running out on to the freeway. The dog ran away after the bite so I couldn't have it observed. So to be honest - the first clinic I went to talked me out of getting the rabies vac. They said the number of rabies cases in the united states is so low that there really is no reason to be worried about a dog bite.

Anyways- I still went for it but the only place that offered it in Miami was the emergency room at Jackson hospital. So that means that for the shot and the 4 follow-up shots I had to wait through the emergency room. Right before I got my first shot the nurse who administered it also tried to persuade me to not do it.

Anyways - all said and done the total cost was about $1800.00 for all the shots. I swore never to help stray dogs again! However, the one plus side is the rabies vac is good for 2 years from receiving it - so for two years you feel like you have superpowers! In the future I only need one booster shot to power up again - so there is that too...

Hope this helps!

Old 06-26-2012, 01:02 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,276,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
If the dog is available for observation then there should be no need for the rabies vac. Was the dog previously in fights with other dogs or wild animals? Is there a reason to suspect the dog would have rabies?

About 3 years ago I was bitten by a stray dog I was trying to keep from running out on to the freeway. The dog ran away after the bite so I couldn't have it observed. So to be honest - the first clinic I went to talked me out of getting the rabies vac. They said the number of rabies cases in the united states is so low that there really is no reason to be worried about a dog bite.

Anyways- I still went for it but the only place that offered it in Miami was the emergency room at Jackson hospital. So that means that for the shot and the 4 follow-up shots I had to wait through the emergency room. Right before I got my first shot the nurse who administered it also tried to persuade me to not do it.

Anyways - all said and done the total cost was about $1800.00 for all the shots. I swore never to help stray dogs again! However, the one plus side is the rabies vac is good for 2 years from receiving it - so for two years you feel like you have superpowers! In the future I only need one booster shot to power up again - so there is that too...

Hope this helps!
Did that include the Human immune globulin serum? I thought that only cost $1,200. It's odd to hear that no hospitals had the vaccine, when today even walgreens has it (or perhaps they only have the pre-exposure vaccine, their website doesn't specify).

Old 06-26-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajlucky24 View Post
HELLO FRIENDS
My friend owns a pomeranian dog which was vaccinated for rabies 2 and a half year ago(in our country, pet owners are not required by law to get pets vaccinated regularly).
I (30 years old) visited my friend at his home three days back (on 23.06.12). The dog was chained since I was an stranger for the dog (I went first time to my friend's home)and I fear dogs. Somehow, the dog broke loose and ran towards me. He didn't attack me at all but started playing with me near my legs. At the time, I was in shorts and wore nothing below knees. In the process, I got a scratch (below knee) which I don't know was from his nails or teeth. The scrath was mild and didn't bleed. I washed the scratch immediately with soap and water for 1-2 minutes. Later I came to know that I should have washed for 10-15 minutes and should have applied alcohol/iodine after washing which I didn't do. This dog sometimes comes in contact with other dogs and cows. The dog is pet and available for observation for 10 days.

My questions are

3. Is there any chance that a rabid dog starts shedding rabies virus and doesn't die/shows symptoms even after 10 days.
4. If the dog was rabid, how many days I have left with to go for PEP successfully considering location of scratch and considering that it was a scratch not a bite.

This reminds me of an embarrassing incident I had 1 year ago. My neighbor's puppy came up to me while I was wearing shorts and it touched my leg with its paw. I didn't see any scratches so I simply washed the area with a Clorox wipes and took a shower. However, 10 days later I saw a documentary about rabies on national geographic and learned it was 100% fatal after symptoms appeared and that 1 drop of saliva was enough to become infected (puppies don't get vaccinated until the 3rd month). I became paranoid did so much research on the disease (and I started feeling all the symptoms I read about) and the drugs they have tried on it, I even mega-dosed on Vitamin D3 (it activates antimicrobial peptides in the body to fight viruses and bacteria) and Vitamin C to boost my immune system. I did that since I read that the rabies virus releases enzymes that suppress the immune response. I was like that for nearly a month when I finally saw the puppy again and realized it wasn't infected since dogs can only spread the disease 10 days before showing symptoms. Also, my paranoia had reached such heights that I even called a vet and the CDC, but they assured me that I couldn't get rabies from a dog touching me.

Your case is different as you're actually friends with the dog's owner so you can observe and see if the dog becomes ill and dies; If the dog is fine after 10 days then there's nothing to worry about.

1. The doctors would likely recommend observing the animal for 10 days
2. Yes, since you were only scratched on the leg, you can wait those 10 days
3. No, if the dog remains healthy then he/she does not have rabies and thus cannot spread it.
4. Since it was a scratch you can wait those 10 days of observation and if the scratch wasn't that bad you might not even need the human immune globulin serum (I believe only severe wounds get that + vaccine shots).

Old 06-26-2012, 02:27 PM

326 posts, read 570,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Did that include the Human immune globulin serum? I thought that only cost $1,200. It's odd to hear that no hospitals had the vaccine, when today even walgreens has it (or perhaps they only have the pre-exposure vaccine, their website doesn't specify).
Really, Walgreens has it? I had this happen in 2009 - at the time I was told only the emergency room had it. The $1,800 cost was also including all the emergency room Co-pays I had and subsequent fees. I am not sure what the breakdown was as to what was emergency room cost and what was the actual cost of the vaccine - but I do know that I was losing out on a really nice big screen TV because I helped that rat dog...

Old 06-26-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
Really, Walgreens has it? I had this happen in 2009 - at the time I was told only the emergency room had it. The $1,800 cost was also including all the emergency room Co-pays I had and subsequent fees. I am not sure what the breakdown was as to what was emergency room cost and what was the actual cost of the vaccine - but I do know that I was losing out on a really nice big screen TV because I helped that rat dog...
Yes, I'm going back to college in August and I had to get a meningitis vaccine and since I didn't want to pay to see a doctor I went to walgreens to get it and while I looked at the vaccine list they had rabies on it. However, I'm not sure if they have the pre-exposure one or the post-exposure one. Also, it was a typo in my last message I meant to say that Human Immune globulin serum alone costs $1,200 (which is separate from the vaccine), the serum is antibodies taken from people or animals (if they don't have human ones available) who are regularly vaccinated and since there's a shortage, it usually costs more than the 4-5 vaccine shots you get (some third world nations have to use horse antibody serum instead of human because of the shortage).

Old 06-26-2012, 05:35 PM

21,482 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajlucky24 View Post
HELLO FRIENDS

My questions are

Your country should have policies for PEP in place, and your doctor should be aware of them. Whether to get vaccinated depends on the level of risk, and we cannot advise you without knowing how common rabies is in your country.

Talk to your doctor.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:58 AM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
This reminds me of an embarrassing incident I had 1 year ago. My neighbor's puppy came up to me while I was wearing shorts and it touched my leg with its paw. I didn't see any scratches so I simply washed the area with a Clorox wipes and took a shower. However, 10 days later I saw a documentary about rabies on national geographic and learned it was 100% fatal after symptoms appeared and that 1 drop of saliva was enough to become infected (puppies don't get vaccinated until the 3rd month). I became paranoid did so much research on the disease (and I started feeling all the symptoms I read about) and the drugs they have tried on it, I even mega-dosed on Vitamin D3 (it activates antimicrobial peptides in the body to fight viruses and bacteria) and Vitamin C to boost my immune system. I did that since I read that the rabies virus releases enzymes that suppress the immune response. I was like that for nearly a month when I finally saw the puppy again and realized it wasn't infected since dogs can only spread the disease 10 days before showing symptoms. Also, my paranoia had reached such heights that I even called a vet and the CDC, but they assured me that I couldn't get rabies from a dog touching me.

This is funny because something similar happened with my son. When he was about 14 he picked up a cat he found in our front yard, we have tons of cats in the neighborhood and a few of our own so he is confortable around them. Apparently it didn't want to be picked up so it scrambled away and scratched him lightly, not even enough to break the skin or draw blood. He is paranoid by nature and combined with the internet that makes for an awesome combo. He fretted and worried himself sick and finally made me take him to the Dr. I was embarassed to explain to her why we were there (this wasn't the first time he thought he was dying of some dread disease) so I made a point to get some acne medication for him to use so it wasn't a totally waste of time and money and just slipped in the cat scratch/rabies thing at the end...haha. She obviously told him not to worry about it but it took a couple months before he was convinced.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
This is funny because something similar happened with my son. When he was about 14 he picked up a cat he found in our front yard, we have tons of cats in the neighborhood and a few of our own so he is confortable around them. Apparently it didn't want to be picked up so it scrambled away and scratched him lightly, not even enough to break the skin or draw blood. He is paranoid by nature and combined with the internet that makes for an awesome combo. He fretted and worried himself sick and finally made me take him to the Dr. I was embarassed to explain to her why we were there (this wasn't the first time he thought he was dying of some dread disease) so I made a point to get some acne medication for him to use so it wasn't a totally waste of time and money and just slipped in the cat scratch/rabies thing at the end...haha. She obviously told him not to worry about it but it took a couple months before he was convinced.
I would have been more worried in your case and I would have paid for the PEP vaccine myself (unless the cat was found for observation). Rabies is so rare in the U.S. that doctors hardly know a thing about it. In the CDC case studies a lot of patients weren't diagnosed until a week after being in the hospital or after death, which is why I called the CDC and a veterinarian who are more knowledgeable on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness