Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 11:21 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,992,883 times

Advertisements

Had a routine physical which included EKG. Was told it was abnormal so had a stress test with radioactive dye, before and after exercise pictures taken.

So today the doc tells me I have scarring on my heart due to a heart attack and I need an angiogram. Never felt anything like a heart attack. No symptoms. He says 10 percent of my heart is ischemic , meaning it isn't getting oxygen. What the??? Anyone else have this? What was the outcome of the angiogram? Did you need surgery or a stent or what?

Obviously this ole body is giving out on me, but I am not ready to go yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 04:52 PM

691 posts, read 2,151,579 times
I also had such a thing. My GP looked at my EKG and said there was a sign or heart damage and he sent me to a cardiologist, who ran all the tests, and told me that there was damage, but it had fully healed, and I didn't need to do anything out of the ordinary.

I told him that I thought I had the flu a couple years ago, and that my BP went way down to about 80/50 for a few days, and it was mostly a migrating ache that wandered around to different parts of my body, and he nodded his head and said that was my heart attack.

Before the heart attack, I was on BP meds, but since then my BP has leveled off to an acceptable but slightly high value (140/75) so I don't take BP meds anymore, nor anything else, except 81mg aspirin. My cholesterol and associated blood work is all fine. My resting pulse is usually 55-60. Sometimes for a while it will skip every 3rd or 4th beat, but usually it is steady.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:26 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,935,585 times
Happened to my grandfather.....never went to a doctor until he was about 70+.....got a physical and found out he'd had several heartattacks! Never felt pain or ill.... He lived about 9 years longer, but did die instantly of a massive heart attack....

Old 07-01-2012, 10:07 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,187,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Had a routine physical which included EKG. Was told it was abnormal so had a stress test with radioactive dye, before and after exercise pictures taken.

So today the doc tells me I have scarring on my heart due to a heart attack and I need an angiogram. Never felt anything like a heart attack. No symptoms. He says 10 percent of my heart is ischemic , meaning it isn't getting oxygen. What the??? Anyone else have this? What was the outcome of the angiogram? Did you need surgery or a stent or what?

Obviously this ole body is giving out on me, but I am not ready to go yet.
It can happen, but I think, if it were me I would want a second opinion. Of course angiograms are not dangerous and there is a chance you would need no treatment, not even a stent, but it is still better to get a second opinion in my opinion. I had a possible heart attack about 10 years ago, they did an aniogram, put in a stent, I was plaing bridge 2 days later. Since then I have had numoreous tests and it seems there is a doubt as to whether or not I did have even a mild attack.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:02 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,450,514 times
There are many types of heart attacks. Some do not completely stop the heart from beating, and many don't cause the "classic" symptoms that everyone know about (e.g. chest/arm pain, unconsciousness, sudden death, etc.) Every heart attack is different. It's therefore vital that a Cardiologist carefully diagnoses each individual.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:26 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,992,883 times
Update: Had an angiogram yesterday and watched the dye flow thru the vessels. Nothing is blocked. Doc said it was a false positive on the stress test, meaning it was wrong. So I went thru this for nothing. But it was interesting and I am glad no stent.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:31 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,727,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Update: Had an angiogram yesterday and watched the dye flow thru the vessels. Nothing is blocked. Doc said it was a false positive on the stress test, meaning it was wrong. So I went thru this for nothing. But it was interesting and I am glad no stent.

good news though so yea!!! Sorry you went through all that but now you know and all is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness