U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 12:56 PM

636 posts, read 668,290 times

Advertisements

I recently had a heart attack at the ripe old age of 38 while I was unemployed / trying to start my own business. We now have a bill close to $50k hanging over us along with the mortgage, two car loans and all the other life expenses such as our $200.00 to $300.00 per week grocery bill... The $800.00 per month payment plan the hospital offered is not in the budget, if we had that much disposable income we probably would have had health insurance... Along with this the doctor said I can no longer do the work required for the business we were starting because it involves manual labor out in the Texas heat.
The silver lining here is that I now have a good (office) job again and will soon have health insurance through my employer but that won't help paying off any existing bills.
I have nothing but good to say about the doctors and hospital where I stayed and I wish I could afford to pay off this debt. But at the same time I have to wonder, does it really cost that much for a stint and a few days in the hospital? Moderator cut: wrong forum, take it to P&OCWe are also the only nation that allows people to file bankruptcy for medical bills and it looks like that will have to be our solution..

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-28-2012 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 01:04 PM

13,103 posts, read 17,634,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Sniper View Post
I recently had a heart attack at the ripe old age of 38 while I was unemployed / trying to start my own business. We now have a bill close to $50k hanging over us along with the mortgage, two car loans and all the other life expenses such as our $200.00 to $300.00 per week grocery bill... The $800.00 per month payment plan the hospital offered is not in the budget, if we had that much disposable income we probably would have had health insurance... Along with this the doctor said I can no longer do the work required for the business we were starting because it involves manual labor out in the Texas heat.
The silver lining here is that I now have a good (office) job again and will soon have health insurance through my employer but that won't help paying off any existing bills.
I have nothing but good to say about the doctors and hospital where I stayed and I wish I could afford to pay off this debt. But at the same time I have to wonder, does it really cost that much for a stint and a few days in the hospital? Moderator cut: orphanedf quote We are also the only nation that allows people to file bankruptcy for medical bills and it looks like that will have to be our solution..

im in the same boat except I was able to get medicaid but with a spenddown and it aint cheap even then and i can only imagine how much more $ I will incur in bulls . Only now you cannot file bankruptcy and the bills go away they dont . You still have to pay a portion of something my b. i. l. just filed for bankruptcy . I wish you luck Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-28-2012 at 05:20 PM..

Old 09-06-2012, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,423 times
Even if you do have an insurance or not, hospitals tend to give you proper care. Naturally, they will bill later so you'll need to make payment arrangements. These bills is sometimes high and is difficult to pay. A payday cash can help you pay for them if you do not have enough money right now. Do not wait to get to the hospital if it is an emergency for you or somebody close just due to money. Life is more important.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:40 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times
Simply tell them you can't pay $800/month. One hospital wanted $275/month, we told them $25/month, take it or leave it. we had insurance, but that was the difference. We were also both unemployed then. Tell them your NET income, and basic expenses, rent, car, food, etc. You can't take the food out of your mouth or your childrens to pay some inflated bill!

Old 09-06-2012, 09:10 PM

27,426 posts, read 17,619,243 times
As far as I know, as long as you are making payment, they cannot send you to collections.

As long as you are paying something, even $25 per month.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:15 AM

14,294 posts, read 20,539,012 times
I agree with the other posters is tell the hospital you simply cannot pay $800 a month. Tell them what you can afford. I had this happen to me a few years back and they refused to make arragements with the amount I could afford.

I just sent in what I could and paid it off in my own time, I never went to collections. However this was much less then $50,000. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness