U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:59 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,043,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asma410 View Post
Why?? Please enlighten us
Why the sarcasm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 07:01 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,043,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
People with unhealthy lifestyles but no health problems

YET.

People with healthy lifestyles but no health problems

YET

Old 07-02-2012, 11:53 PM

910 posts, read 1,799,893 times
I don't know anyone like that, I think it's rather rare, and as they say to every rule there's an exception. BUT health doesn't depend only on those factors mentioned, levels of stress (including perceived vs. actual stress) is a huge factor, and so are general mental outlook/attitude, spirituality, and emotional stability, they play a huge part, sometimes larger than anything else. I'm a firm believer that most people translate their strongest negative feelings/emotions into specifically localized physical symptoms and/or chronic illness (myself included).

Old 07-03-2012, 04:27 AM

69,335 posts, read 79,526,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Does anyone know anyone like this? People that are obese. People that spend all their free time on a couch watching TV, and have always lived this way. Very inactive types. Their meals are high fat artery clogging cholesterol meals day after day. Yet thier lab results and physicals reveal no problems at all. Even blood pressure is good. I'm talking about people in thier 60's and 70's with an entire life of doing noting but being sedentary. Yet people that have been active all their life and never overweight they watch what they eat, are diabetics and a multitude of other ailments. Yes genes play into it, but it does make me wonder how these older people get away with it in later years.

Truthfully I'm glad they have their health, but in all honesty it makes me somewhat uncomfortable to be around them for very long. Especially when I have to bite my tongue, when I hear some of their ignorant comments such as this. If I had to eat like you did I would put a gun to my head. Or look down their nose at you because fitness is important to me. I fall under the category of the one that has always been active and health and fitness conscious. Yet I'm the one that developed many of the chronic diseases of the so called unhealthy types at young ages. Diabetes being the main one and thankfully I manage it very well. If I lived like these people mentioned I would be dead years ago. Seems unfair but I'd rather be fit and healthy, than have the lifestyles and ignorant comments of the type I mentioned.

So how is it for others. Have you met these people that just don't take care of themself but seem to have perfect health.
Let's face it, a lot of our health is hereditary. In my own family I have seen all types and the life expectacy doesn't seem to be much affected by anything. My husband's 2 uncles, though they worked on the farm when they were kids until they became young men, were lazy, sat around, did nothing, ate what they wanted and both had weight problems. One died at 87 from kidney failure that could have been treated except he didn't like doctors, the other died at 86 from an who knows what, he didn't like doctors either. Neither of them had ever been in a hospital except to visit people. I could go on and on. yes. our life habits do affect our health many times but our genes are more what makes a difference. My parents were both smokers, though dad quit when he was maybe about 60. both drank way too much alcohol and pretty much ate what they wanted, though neithr had real weight problems. Mom died at 61 from liver desease, dad died at 93 of plain old age. Oh, of course something killed him but for the most part it was age. He had all his teeth (so do I) didn't take hardly any meds, and until the last year of his life was very active and had a wonderfully active mind.
Nita

Old 07-03-2012, 09:36 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,134,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Why the sarcasm?
I didn't mean to be sarcastic at all. So sorry if my post appears that way. I am always trying to learn the secret behind a long, healthy life. Dont believe whats propagated in the media as 'healthy'. Would like to learn first-hand from healthy people because I am so confused by the food pyramids & all those ads on tv.
The icon in my post was meant to be like a student learning from a guru. Honestly, I didn't mean to be sarcastic. Will delete the post if its offensive.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:25 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,597,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
I don't know anyone like that, I think it's rather rare, and as they say to every rule there's an exception. BUT health doesn't depend only on those factors mentioned, levels of stress (including perceived vs. actual stress) is a huge factor, and so are general mental outlook/attitude, spirituality, and emotional stability, they play a huge part, sometimes larger than anything else. I'm a firm believer that most people translate their strongest negative feelings/emotions into specifically localized physical symptoms and/or chronic illness (myself included).
This.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:07 PM

494 posts, read 1,534,744 times
Life is not fair, some people are handed amazing genes some not so much. My cousin is one such type... he is 65, overweight, eats heavily rich food on a daily basis (has done so ALL his life) including tons of very high glycemic food and refined carbs with few vegetables, processed food (has lots of ham, sausages and bacon for breakfast), lots of grease and fried stuff loaded with saturated fat, smokes every single day, is 100% sedentary (does not even lift a finger or walk anywhere).

The only thing he does not do is consume alcohol.

Has no blood pressure, bloodwork all normal, respiration normal... in other words his doc said his health is super. He intends to continue doing what he is doing.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:43 AM

51,310 posts, read 50,576,723 times
From another perspective, I once read the book Cause of Death by Cyril Wecht, who is a leading forensic pathologist in the nation and often testified in high-profile cases.

In his foreword, he mentions that every medical examiner can tell you stories of cutting open a cadaver and finding fat-choked arteries, diseased organs, cancer, etc., looking as if he should have died ten years ago, but the guy is lying on his table because somebody put a bullet into him.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:44 PM

10,864 posts, read 18,917,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Does anyone know anyone like this? People that are obese. People that spend all their free time on a couch watching TV, and have always lived this way. Very inactive types. Their meals are high fat artery clogging cholesterol meals day after day. Yet thier lab results and physicals reveal no problems at all. Even blood pressure is good. I'm talking about people in thier 60's and 70's with an entire life of doing noting but being sedentary. Yet people that have been active all their life and never overweight they watch what they eat, are diabetics and a multitude of other ailments. Yes genes play into it, but it does make me wonder how these older people get away with it in later years.

Truthfully I'm glad they have their health, but in all honesty it makes me somewhat uncomfortable to be around them for very long. Especially when I have to bite my tongue, when I hear some of their ignorant comments such as this. If I had to eat like you did I would put a gun to my head. Or look down their nose at you because fitness is important to me. I fall under the category of the one that has always been active and health and fitness conscious. Yet I'm the one that developed many of the chronic diseases of the so called unhealthy types at young ages. Diabetes being the main one and thankfully I manage it very well. If I lived like these people mentioned I would be dead years ago. Seems unfair but I'd rather be fit and healthy, than have the lifestyles and ignorant comments of the type I mentioned.

So how is it for others. Have you met these people that just don't take care of themself but seem to have perfect health.
Your post sounds very bitter. Sometimes, dealing with a lot of health issues can cause depression. I wonder if that's why you're so focused on whether or not others deserve their good health.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:34 PM

6,682 posts, read 11,908,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Your post sounds very bitter. Sometimes, dealing with a lot of health issues can cause depression. I wonder if that's why you're so focused on whether or not others deserve their good health.

No not at all. The ones I mentioned sound ignorant and very inconsiderate. I think its understandable when one finds themself surrounded by people that speak in the manner I stated. Then really what would you expect. Yes I would rather be other places and it is uncomfortable being around them. Since I say nothing and just let them speak. I realize they don't know any better. I'd hardly call that bitter. I'd call it being polite. As far as their good health goes. I don't understand how they have such good health and the focus ends there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness