U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:15 AM

7,032 posts, read 8,372,655 times

Advertisements

Sometimes blood test results don't always pick up on a serious developing heart condition. I've heard of many cases where a fat person was told they were fit with normal blood pressure and cholesterol levels in the blood but when they died early and had an autopsy doctors found up to 90% blockage in some arteries with atherosclerosis that had somehow avoided any other detection in medical examinations.

If you think you are one of those "fat but fit" people, well this could be you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 06:20 AM

824 posts, read 1,353,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
From another perspective, I once read the book Cause of Death by Cyril Wecht, who is a leading forensic pathologist in the nation and often testified in high-profile cases.

In his foreword, he mentions that every medical examiner can tell you stories of cutting open a cadaver and finding fat-choked arteries, diseased organs, cancer, etc., looking as if he should have died ten years ago, but the guy is lying on his table because somebody put a bullet into him.

So basicaly happiness (having a loving family, friends, the job you want, the hobbies you want, etc) is much more important than body fitness.

That's why single people die sooner that married ones.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,010,458 times
Genetics are the luck of the draw, but they seem to more than balance out an unhealthy lifestyle. On my dad's side of the family, this is certainly the case. My grandmother lived to be 87, and died of lung cancer. My uncle is going to be 90 years old in January; he drank and smoked regularly up until a year or two ago. My father just turned 80 years old (and is going in for knee replacement surgery in January, so his overall health must be decent!), but he still smokes, and he drank regularly for many years. I did have an aunt and cousin (not mother and son) on that side who died from colon cancer when they were in their mid-50s, but so far that's it.

I make no special effort to exercise, my job is very stressful, and I certainly don't get enough sleep. However, all of my blood tests, etc. have so far come back normal. I'm turning 50 next year, and I'm definitely aware that I'm getting older, so I'm grateful for the good health that I've so far enjoyed. (Thanks, Dad!)

Old 12-18-2012, 01:35 PM

910 posts, read 1,797,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Genetics are the luck of the draw, but they seem to more than balance out an unhealthy lifestyle. On my dad's side of the family, this is certainly the case. My grandmother lived to be 87, and died of lung cancer. My uncle is going to be 90 years old in January; he drank and smoked regularly up until a year or two ago. My father just turned 80 years old (and is going in for knee replacement surgery in January, so his overall health must be decent!), but he still smokes, and he drank regularly for many years. I did have an aunt and cousin (not mother and son) on that side who died from colon cancer when they were in their mid-50s, but so far that's it.

I make no special effort to exercise, my job is very stressful, and I certainly don't get enough sleep. However, all of my blood tests, etc. have so far come back normal. I'm turning 50 next year, and I'm definitely aware that I'm getting older, so I'm grateful for the good health that I've so far enjoyed. (Thanks, Dad!)
I wish what you said always held true, but it doesn't. For example, my maternal grandparents lived to 91 (gf) and 95 (gm) having suffered only from angina and high blood pressure respectively yet 3 of their children died of cancer, the oldest (my Mom) at 76, another also had cancer but is a 12 yr. survivor. I suspect that in their case environmental factors may have overpowered the "good genes". My dad died at 91 as a result of not keeping a gluten-free diet being a celiac, but he didn't begin to show symptoms of it until like 68 or 69, in turn I suspect I may be a celiac too but I began having all kinds of related problems in my mid 40s or even earlier, and I've never had the stamina or clarity of mind he always had, so although I'd counted on all those good genes I don't feel so sure anymore that I'll live as long as any of them. I do try to take care of myself because more than anything I'd like to have a fairly good quality of life while I'm still here.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:31 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,887,652 times
I'll admit it. Those people make me jealous. I hate my body chemistry. My doctor told me to lose 10 pounds and I would see improvements on my A1C. I lost 20 and it went up two points! On a strict whole foods vegetarian diet!! I exercise! Drink water! I was pissed to say the least. So he had to add ANOTHER diabetic medication. So now I do more low carb foods but I hate it. I would prefer to be vegetarian but my body says no. Still, I can't allow myself to gain weight because my body would probably freak out even more. So even though my body refuses to produce good numbers doing the right thing, I'll still do it. My body would be pissed if I let it get obese. It wouldn't make it. I'm only 34 and have 2 kids so I can't leave yet. Anyone who would say I sound bitter with this post would be right. I AM!!!! I am when it comes to this anyway.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:23 PM

Do you take any supplements? There's been studies about magnesium and chromium helping insulin resistance and diabetes, you might want too google them for details.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:13 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,887,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Do you take any supplements? There's been studies about magnesium and chromium helping insulin resistance and diabetes, you might want too google them for details.
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:48 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,216,951 times
That would be me

I'm not overweight and very rarely get sick but my lifestyle is quite unhealthy, or at least it was until recently. I never excercised, I consumed lots of junkfood and sodas, I ate at irregular times and often skipped breakfast and/or lunch, I basically paid no regard to my health whatsoever and yet I've never had serious health problems. I haven't seen a doctor in years. I think the worst health problem I've ever had was the flu. I don't smoke or drink alcohol though. Since I want to lose a few pounds (as I said, I'm not overweight but I'd still like to be a bit slimmer) I decided to go to the gym once a week for an hour and change my diet a bit. I still eat whatever I want basically (just had French fries and a hamburger yesterday) but I eat a little less junkfood (e.g. one bowl of crisps instead of half a bag) and I already lost 3.5 kgs (7.7 lbs) in 3 weeks this way without really making an effort. I can pretty much eat whatever I want without gaining significant weight and I barely have to 'sacrifice' anything to lose weight. I think it's genetic because my whole family is like this, not a single relative is overweight. I'm losing weight so rapidly that my BMI will soon classify me as "underweight" lol (it's 19.7 now) and what should I do then, go back to the junkfood?

Old 12-20-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Thanks, I'll look into it.
You're welcome, HTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
That would be me

I'm not overweight and very rarely get sick but my lifestyle is quite unhealthy, or at least it was until recently. I never excercised, I consumed lots of junkfood and sodas, I ate at irregular times and often skipped breakfast and/or lunch, I basically paid no regard to my health whatsoever and yet I've never had serious health problems. I haven't seen a doctor in years. I think the worst health problem I've ever had was the flu. I don't smoke or drink alcohol though. Since I want to lose a few pounds (as I said, I'm not overweight but I'd still like to be a bit slimmer) I decided to go to the gym once a week for an hour and change my diet a bit. I still eat whatever I want basically (just had French fries and a hamburger yesterday) but I eat a little less junkfood (e.g. one bowl of crisps instead of half a bag) and I already lost 3.5 kgs (7.7 lbs) in 3 weeks this way without really making an effort. I can pretty much eat whatever I want without gaining significant weight and I barely have to 'sacrifice' anything to lose weight. I think it's genetic because my whole family is like this, not a single relative is overweight. I'm losing weight so rapidly that my BMI will soon classify me as "underweight" lol (it's 19.7 now) and what should I do then, go back to the junkfood?
May I ask how old you are? I was underweight until at age 18 they recommended at the first gym I went that I gain 10 lbs., they gave me a special diet (that included candy bars!) to gain, I also did several exercises with weights and took a protein supplement 2x/day. And for several years I actually had to keep an eye on myself to keep my new weight as it was very easy for me to lose it. However, after taking anti-depressants I began to gain more easily, but I still lost easily too, but then I had children and it became a little harder but then I found out I had developed hypoglycemia and eating sugar would make me gain weight easily. Later on I developed thyroid problems and, long story short, I now weigh more than 50 lbs. than when I was a young girl (and I'm once again trying to lose some of it). But I've always suspected that eating the unhealthy "Standard American Diet" (SAD) is what messed me up because when I lived in my native country I didn't have any weight problems and the same thing seems to happen to people from different parts of the world whose health went down the tubes when they moved here AND adopted the SAD. I mention this because I see you're in The Netherlands and food over there might not be so full of chemicals like it is here...

Old 12-21-2012, 10:21 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,216,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
May I ask how old you are?

I'm 23.

Quote:
I was underweight until at age 18 they recommended at the first gym I went that I gain 10 lbs., they gave me a special diet (that included candy bars!) to gain, I also did several exercises with weights and took a protein supplement 2x/day. And for several years I actually had to keep an eye on myself to keep my new weight as it was very easy for me to lose it. However, after taking anti-depressants I began to gain more easily, but I still lost easily too, but then I had children and it became a little harder but then I found out I had developed hypoglycemia and eating sugar would make me gain weight easily. Later on I developed thyroid problems and, long story short, I now weigh more than 50 lbs. than when I was a young girl (and I'm once again trying to lose some of it). But I've always suspected that eating the unhealthy "Standard American Diet" (SAD) is what messed me up because when I lived in my native country I didn't have any weight problems and the same thing seems to happen to people from different parts of the world whose health went down the tubes when they moved here AND adopted the SAD. I mention this because I see you're in The Netherlands and food over there might not be so full of chemicals like it is here...
I'm not really underweight and I won't be if I lose another 3 kgs, even if my BMI says I'll be. The BMI is just not correct in my case, it doesn't accurately reflect my height/weight proportions. I have "light bones" as we say in the Netherlands I am 170 cm tall and I weigh 57 kgs. When I was at the gym they measured my fat percentage and it was at 27%, which is on the high side (above 29% is too much IIRC) and my stomach is not flat like it is supposed to be (there's a little extra fat there but you hardly notice it when I have my clothes on). I just want to lose a few pounds to get rid of that extra fat. I know why I am losing weight so rapidly, it's because the junkfood (snacks) comprised the majority of my daily calorie intake (like I said, I often skip breakfast and/or lunch) and now that I eat less of it, my calorie intake is drastically reduced. Many days I don't even go beyond 1000 kcal. I can't eat breakfast and lunch and dinner because my appetite is not that great (I've always had that problem) and I get sick if I eat too much for my stomach to handle. I don't eat anything within 3 hours before dinner because it will spoil my appetite. I do try to eat brunch now. I usually start eating unhealthy snacks later in the evening and at night because that's when I start to get hungry again. Now I try to eat something healthy or low cal instead. I think when I reach my target weight (~ 50 kgs) I'll try to eat 3 full meals a day, maybe start eating breakfast earlier so there's more time between them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness