U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 02:01 PM

6,682 posts, read 11,905,704 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anyone like this? People that are obese. People that spend all their free time on a couch watching TV, and have always lived this way. Very inactive types. Their meals are high fat artery clogging cholesterol meals day after day. Yet thier lab results and physicals reveal no problems at all. Even blood pressure is good. I'm talking about people in thier 60's and 70's with an entire life of doing noting but being sedentary. Yet people that have been active all their life and never overweight they watch what they eat, are diabetics and a multitude of other ailments. Yes genes play into it, but it does make me wonder how these older people get away with it in later years.

Truthfully I'm glad they have their health, but in all honesty it makes me somewhat uncomfortable to be around them for very long. Especially when I have to bite my tongue, when I hear some of their ignorant comments such as this. If I had to eat like you did I would put a gun to my head. Or look down their nose at you because fitness is important to me. I fall under the category of the one that has always been active and health and fitness conscious. Yet I'm the one that developed many of the chronic diseases of the so called unhealthy types at young ages. Diabetes being the main one and thankfully I manage it very well. If I lived like these people mentioned I would be dead years ago. Seems unfair but I'd rather be fit and healthy, than have the lifestyles and ignorant comments of the type I mentioned.

So how is it for others. Have you met these people that just don't take care of themself but seem to have perfect health.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 02:22 PM

5,120 posts, read 12,728,919 times
Must be genetics!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:51 AM

14,657 posts, read 29,715,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Does anyone know anyone like this? People that are obese. People that spend all their free time on a couch watching TV, and have always lived this way. Very inactive types. Their meals are high fat artery clogging cholesterol meals day after day. Yet thier lab results and physicals reveal no problems at all. Even blood pressure is good. I'm talking about people in thier 60's and 70's with an entire life of doing noting but being sedentary. Yet people that have been active all their life and never overweight they watch what they eat, are diabetics and a multitude of other ailments. Yes genes play into it, but it does make me wonder how these older people get away with it in later years.

Truthfully I'm glad they have their health, but in all honesty it makes me somewhat uncomfortable to be around them for very long. Especially when I have to bite my tongue, when I hear some of their ignorant comments such as this. If I had to eat like you did I would put a gun to my head. Or look down their nose at you because fitness is important to me. I fall under the category of the one that has always been active and health and fitness conscious. Yet I'm the one that developed many of the chronic diseases of the so called unhealthy types at young ages. Diabetes being the main one and thankfully I manage it very well. If I lived like these people mentioned I would be dead years ago. Seems unfair but I'd rather be fit and healthy, than have the lifestyles and ignorant comments of the type I mentioned.

So how is it for others. Have you met these people that just don't take care of themself but seem to have perfect health.
I understand totally, Jimrob. I am like you - exercised my WHOLE life, careful what I eat, etc, etc., but am a Type 2 diabetic. Contrast to my sister, who has NEVER exercised, been obese most of her adult life, and while she does have some joint issues, no diabetes, has low blood pressure and always checks out healthy. I don't get it at all. Of course, I am happy she is healthy (although I hope she will lose some weight) but I don't understand it.

My husband's uncle is 97 yr old now, and while he is kind of feeble and on a walker, he is relatively healthy, all his own teeth, hair, etc. yet he used to be a smoker, and had a typical midwestern diet with a lot of unhealthy food.

Anyway, I guess it's genetics and the luck of the draw. I am thankful I am as healthy as I am, and we just need to ignore the fools that make ignorant comments like you mentioned. I don't even WANT to eat like that - the thought of do-nuts and sweets makes me sick. I am not as strict with my diet as I probably should be, but I make up for it with LOTS of physical activity, and feel pretty darn good most of the time.

Lastly, I will say that in general; most that have unhealthy lifestyles DO have problems to show for it. I think those that don't are really in the minority and just have very good genes. My husband works in a large government center where they LIVE for the free goodies people bring in, and most are seriously overweight with multitudes of health issues. Speaking of my husband, a few years ago he was headed for serious problems; he smoked, ate unhealthy, was overweight, didn't exercise and developed high blood pressure, cholesterol and was on his way to diabetes. Now he hasn't smoked for 7 years; eats healthy, works out, and he not only looks great, but all his numbers are now in the normal range. Goes to show what a difference it makes.

Good luck, and just keep up the good work!

Old 07-02-2012, 11:21 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,037,864 times
Quote:

Yes, I know someone like that....me.

I'm 63, weigh 250 lbs, smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day, exist on grease, salt and peppers, drink beer, refuse to take "preventative" drugs like cholesterol pills, average about 4 hours of sleep per night and never exercise for the sake of exercising. I have a physical every 6 months and my doc always says something like this: "I can't find a thing wrong with you and I don't know why." Or, more commonly, "Why do you bother coming to see me? You're not going to do what I say anyhow."

I can work outside all day if I want or lie up in my easy chair if I don't feel like it. I spend several weeks a year with similar old men and women swinging a chain saw, dragging brush or mudding out flooded houses after disasters of all kinds. I can, and do, drive 1000-1200 miles per day if I'm going somewhere and usually don't even get leg cramps. I push mow parts of the yard and do the rest on a riding mower while downing a few Shiner Bocks. I'm as active as I want to be and still don't have anything I can't do now that I could do in my 30's or 40's.

And, the only thing wrong with me is receding gums and slightly elevated blood pressure, for which I take half a pill.

Now...ask me why.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:15 PM

14,301 posts, read 20,563,635 times
My husband. Drives me nuts. I eat healthy and work out. I have high blood pressure and cholesterol!

Old 07-02-2012, 02:15 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,133,699 times
Yes I do know people like that. Unfortunately I am not one of them
Its definitely genes. When I look at their immediate family, they do seem healthy. A lot of times I have observed that people with some unhealthy habits (like smoking) are doing something else (knowingly or unknowingly) to counter the damage like exercise, good rest. So it might balance out their bad habit.

Also, a lot of people are obssessed with weight or scared of diseases & I think that state of mind might attract some negativity in their lives & pushes them away from their goals. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Example: kramer vs. george in seinfeld.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:16 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,133,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes, I know someone like that....me.

Now...ask me why.
Why?? Please enlighten us

Old 07-02-2012, 04:59 PM

6,682 posts, read 11,905,704 times
Thanks everyone for the replies. I enjoyed reading each and every one of them. I have to say some of the people I know, must have really inherited some excellent genes. Since many of them couldn't pass up a Dunkin Donuts or Pizza joint if thier life depended on it. Let alone walk the few blocks to go there they want to drive. Maybe eventually their life will depend on their taking better care of themself. Evidently they are not at that stage in life yet.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:00 PM

42,237 posts, read 49,796,479 times
People with unhealthy lifestyles but no health problems

YET.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:38 PM

26,867 posts, read 57,900,981 times
Quote:
People that are obese. People that spend all their free time on a couch watching TV, and have always lived this way. Very inactive types. Their meals are high fat artery clogging cholesterol meals day after day.
Yet thier lab results and physicals reveal no problems at all. Even blood pressure is good.

Yes genes play into it, but it does make me wonder how these older people get away with it in later years.
You're neglecting to account for the poorly reported healthful effects of nicotine, caffeine and hydrogenated fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness