U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,928 times

Advertisements

you have not been the first naked patient that they have seen, nor will you be the last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,108 times
I'm 21 years old. Haven't been to many Dr. Before. I got a bump on my forehead that wouldn't go away, so I called a dermatologist office in my town and scheduled an appointment. When I got there, I found out my doctor was female. Didn't matter to me. I just thought she would look at my bump and send me out. When the nurse came and got me and took me back, she asked me a bunch of questions and told me to have a seat and wait for the Dr. When my Dr. Came in, she introduced her self asked me some questions as she looked at my bump and felt it. She then told me to stand up and get undressed, and to put a gown on that was under the table/bed. She told me to take everything off but my underwear. She says she likes to give her new patients a total look over. She stayed in the room, with her back turned. She would continue to ask me questions as I was undressing and would turn and look at me as I would answer them. When i got the gown on, She then told me to sit on the table. She checked my feet, toes, my hair,legs knees ect... She then told me to stand up and take my gown off. She then checked my chest, and stomach and my thighs. Then she went behind me and checked my back. She grabbed the waistband of my briefs and pull the back of them down below my butt for about 10 seconds and then told me to pull them back up and get dressed. I was kind of embarrassed, but I'm glad I had a female Dr. Would NOT have wanted a male Dr. to do all that to me. Now I look for a female Dr whenever I need to go.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:34 PM

5,158 posts, read 12,985,021 times
Go to the freaking dermatologist! If you have skin cancer...you want a pro to deal with it.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:32 PM

5,891 posts, read 11,222,351 times
I specifically requested a femal doctor (I am a female), and when I got there, I'd been assigned to a male. Wasn't that upset about him seeing me, but I thought he wasn't very good. I was happy when I got a letter advising that he was leaving the practice and one of his colleagues would be happy to see me. Next time I WILL insist on a female doctor.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:23 PM

2,569 posts, read 878,135 times
A question here. I have never had a full body exam by a dermatologist but I expect I will be having one in the not so distant future. We all get to choose our doctors and in my case I am more comfortable with male doctors than with female. That part I can control. My question is whether dermatologists do exams without a nurse or assistant in the room. At issue is it appears that dermatologists only seem to hire female staff, and I would not be comfortable with a woman in the room watching me have a full body exam. Is it acceptable to ask for an exam with just the doctor present (assuming he doesn't have a male staff member to assist as the doctor might want)?

Old 10-17-2016, 11:24 PM

19,729 posts, read 54,524,525 times
Won't happen. It's for the doctor's protection, having a witness. My full body exam was done in stages, with only one part uncovered at a time.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:21 PM

SouthernBelle, my apologies. I didn't make clear that I am a male. I know that most male doctors won't have intimate exams or procedures on women without another woman present, but I'm unaware of male doctors ever using chaperones for male patients. The issue for me would be the doctor wanting a female staff member there to take notes for him or some such.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:37 PM

19,729 posts, read 54,524,525 times
These days anyone can cry molestation. Call and ask.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:03 AM

SouthernBelle, absolutely I will ask before making the appt. I was just wondering if it is the norm for dermatologists to have a nurse or other staff person present to take notes or some such during full body exams, or for that matter to have a chaperone. Knowing this will better prepare me for the discussion. The bottom line is that if he won't do it by himself I will go to someone else who will (or who is a little more up with the times and has a staffing mix that includes males who can assist him).

For me the issue is not body image issues at all. It is rather a combination of my thinking it is inappropriate to be needlessly exposing myself in front of female medical staff and my having grown weary of the double standard that exists in medical settings as concerns male vs female modesty.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:33 AM

3,810 posts, read 3,013,603 times
I've known several dermatologists and all of them are females. But, if you go to a large enough practice, particularly an academic practice, you can find males. The more difficult part will be finding clinical and support staff who are males because staff, especially in physician clinic and office settings, are still overwhelmingly female.

I've only had 3 encounters with Dermatologists, 2 of them recently, once for myself and once just last week for my daughter. Both times, the physicians were females, and they didn't have anyone else in the room with them, and I got the impression they usually didn't have an assistant present. However, I'm a female, and you are a male who clearly wants another male present, and that's your prerogative. You may have to search around a bit, but certainly should be able to find what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness