U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 10:44 AM

19,729 posts, read 54,524,525 times

Advertisements

I have never, in the last 30 yrs, been in an office with just me and the doctor. Some of them I know quite well. It's just standard practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 02:31 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,925,561 times
My dermatologist always does the full body exam without anyone else in the room.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:28 PM

4,820 posts, read 10,719,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
SouthernBelle, absolutely I will ask before making the appt. I was just wondering if it is the norm for dermatologists to have a nurse or other staff person present to take notes or some such during full body exams, or for that matter to have a chaperone. Knowing this will better prepare me for the discussion. The bottom line is that if he won't do it by himself I will go to someone else who will (or who is a little more up with the times and has a staffing mix that includes males who can assist him).

For me the issue is not body image issues at all. It is rather a combination of my thinking it is inappropriate to be needlessly exposing myself in front of female medical staff and my having grown weary of the double standard that exists in medical settings as concerns male vs female modesty.
By and large "Male to male" encounters with provider and patient don't require a chaperone...I use a chaperone if I am seeing a female, have never used one with a male...

One issue may be if the practice you go to uses scribes to take care of the electronic medical record portion of the visit

You can absolutely request that only the provider be present if it is a male dermatologist, I can't imagine you would be denied...

Old 10-19-2016, 07:15 PM

2,569 posts, read 878,135 times
Thanks all for your input. I now know I won't be out of line to request it just be the doctor and me.

Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 24 times
My provider is of the opposite gender because the clinic I go to has all female. So the issue of the male problem was being addressed, I just let it go through it course of what needed to be done. I was sent to an dermotologist with only last name known to me and when the doctor entered the room, then I knew I had an female dermotologist. I just let her do her job. I found out I had more issues with my skin down there than I knew about. Long story short, I needed a circumcision to take care of an issue I had. I am no longer worried about the doctors seeing me undressed if I can get things addressed properly.

Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM

21,389 posts, read 4,460,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
A dermatologist is one who specializes in disorders of the skin. The exams needed are dependent upon the conditions you present to him.

Whether you will have to disrobe or not idepends on where the skin conditions are located. it is difficult for a doctor to diagnose a problem without looking at it.

I am a male, and my physician is a female. I just recently had a full physical done by her. Trust me, it is not a big deal. She could care less about your body, other than examining and curing the conditions for which you present to her.

In other words- relax, and get over the idea of her examining you. It is nothing to write home about.

Old Today, 09:10 PM

8,426 posts, read 5,754,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
My internist suspects skin problem and wants me to see a dermatologist.
  1. Isn't it the same and taking blood samples and same stuff other physicians do.
  2. What do these dermatologist do with reference to examination.
  3. Please don't tell me I would be nude - if you understand what I mean.
  4. To make matters worst am male she is female. Blame me not, am still learning to be an exhibitionist.
For crying out loud, A DERMATOLOGIST SPECIALIZES IN DISEASES OF THE SKIN!!

Most likely she will give you a full body skin examination. She could care less if you are male or female

Again guessing, whatever your PCP saw will have to be biopsied and then examined by a pathologist. That may be it, or surgery may be needed to remove a cancerous lesion

Our Dermatologist is a wonderful woman. I don't have anything that she hasn't seen before
Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
if you understand what I mean.
FYI, Our PCP and Cardiologists as well as my Urologist ae all women. No big deal.

Grow up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Today, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
My dermatologist always does the full body exam without anyone else in the room.
Only time someone else is in the room with us is if I need a biopsy, then her nurse assists.

Sometimes my wife is with me when we both happen to have an appointment at the same time

Old Today, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
A question here. I have never had a full body exam by a dermatologist but I expect I will be having one in the not so distant future. We all get to choose our doctors and in my case I am more comfortable with male doctors than with female. That part I can control. My question is whether dermatologists do exams without a nurse or assistant in the room. At issue is it appears that dermatologists only seem to hire female staff, and I would not be comfortable with a woman in the room watching me have a full body exam. Is it acceptable to ask for an exam with just the doctor present (assuming he doesn't have a male staff member to assist as the doctor might want)?
From a previous thread, we already know that you have issues with female doctors. Schedule your appointment with a male Dr and if the doc wants a nurse in the room suck it up. You are not the first male patient she has seen and you don't have anything that she hasn't seen hundreds of times before. Same is true if you have to see a female doc.

They are Doctors and nurses, not perverts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness