U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 11:16 AM

783 posts, read 2,335,309 times

Advertisements

My internist suspects skin problem and wants me to see a dermatologist.
  1. Isn't it the same and taking blood samples and same stuff other physicians do.
  2. What do these dermatologist do with reference to examination.
  3. Please don't tell me I would be nude - if you understand what I mean.
  4. To make matters worst am male she is female. Blame me not, am still learning to be an exhibitionist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 10:19 PM

436 posts, read 595,717 times
A dermatologist is one who specializes in disorders of the skin. The exams needed are dependent upon the conditions you present to him.

Whether you will have to disrobe or not idepends on where the skin conditions are located. it is difficult for a doctor to diagnose a problem without looking at it.

I am a male, and my physician is a female. I just recently had a full physical done by her. Trust me, it is not a big deal. She could care less about your body, other than examining and curing the conditions for which you present to her.

In other words- relax, and get over the idea of her examining you. It is nothing to write home about.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:11 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,081,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
I am a male, and my physician is a female. I just recently had a full physical done by her. Trust me, it is not a big deal. She could care less about your body, other than examining and curing the conditions for which you present to her.

In other words- relax, and get over the idea of her examining you. It is nothing to write home about.
Wow. Since you have no qualms about having someone of the opposite sex examine you, everyone else should just deal with their discomforts? A big flying bird finger to that

To the OP: even if people will tell you "awww, it's just a body part, it's not like doctors haven't seen thousands of them" it's in the best interests of your health to be 110% comfortable with your doctor. If you aren't for any reason, your internist shouldn't feel any resentment if you say "look, I know you are fully qualified for this, and I have total confidence in your skills, but I'd feel more comfortable with a doctor who is <insert specification>".

I have pretty strong feelings about this myself. It doesn't matter if my reasons for not being comfortable are fey or not shared by the majority, when it comes to health issues, I demand to be treated by someone with whom I can be completely comfortable and confiding.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:23 AM

I posted that as an example- nothing more.

I agree that people should be comfortable with their physician: I also believe however that people do need to get over certain things, one of which is being adverse to a physician of the opposite sex examining them. More and more females are entering the field of medicine.

This seems to be primrily a male thing., more than a female thing. Women go to male GYn's all the time with little or no problem.

Although you may feel more comfortable with a male physicians, it would be sad to have possibly chosen a less qualified physician, simply for a rather sublime reson.

Thanks for the "big bird flying finger" by the way. A simple "I don't agree would have been sufficient.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Status: "My cat is fatter than your cat." (set 10 days ago)

9,810 posts, read 21,850,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
  1. Isn't it the same and taking blood samples and same stuff other physicians do.
  4. To make matters worst am male she is female. Blame me not, am still learning to be an exhibitionist.
1. Most likely they will not be taking your blood.

2. Depending on what they have to exam, yes, they need to see your skin.

3. If you are being examined for moles, you will have to be naked. Because they examine every part of your body. If you feel uncomfortable being naked with a female doctor(alot of men prefer it) then ask for a male. Or have a male intern in the room at the same time if it makes you feel comfortable.

4. I am also not an exhibitionist yet, and doubt i will ever be. Some things are uncomfortable. We just have to try our best to get through it if our health is at stake.
If you really don't want to do it, don't. You are the one in control at all times. Nobody can make you do what you don't want to do. Always remember that.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:48 PM

Visiting a physician has nothing whatsoever to do with being an "exhibitionist."

It has to do with allowing the physician (regardless of their gender) to complete an adequate examination in order fopr them to come about with an appropriate diagnosis.

If one is so concerned about that then they, IMO, have an abnormal feeling about morality in general.

This isn't about "exposing" onself for a tittilating effect. It is about allowing a professional to accomplish a diagnosis, and be better able to serve you, in a health related issue. The sooner that realization is atained, the better off one will be, regaridng thier health care.

Please- get over it.

PS: If you do not have an adequate blood panel on record- you may very well need to have specimens taken.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:12 PM

7,099 posts, read 24,148,758 times
If your internist felt that she was qualified to diagnose the skin problem, she would have done so. Take her advice and have it checked out. The longer you wait on skin problems, the worse they get and the longer it takes to fix.

there must be a dermatologist in your area that's the same sex as you are.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:20 PM

6,045 posts, read 21,358,392 times
If it would make you feel more comfortable, ask the doctor to refer you to a male dermatologist.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:53 PM

783 posts, read 2,335,309 times
I don't know about any of you, but I just feel uncomfortable when a female physician goes the extra mile on a male patient.

My internist is female, cardiologist female and other care takers are also female. Just that I would like a male physician for a change and based on the few literature I have read about dermatology this would be a huge step for me going nude, I am afraid.

I would still make it to my appointment. I just wanted to fill in every "gap" I may have missed. In other words are I just want to be prepared for the worst and also make subconscious judgments of the new physician who would be taken care of me.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:30 AM

2,493 posts, read 3,155,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
You probably don't have to take off all your clothes, probably just down to your underwear. You just get a thorough skin examination. She will look at any moles to make sure they are okay. If you have any funny growths, she may burn them off, or she may do a biopsy if something looks really weird. Neither of these things hurt, so no worries.

I don't know how old you are, but my guess is you may be a young person. If so, you'll learn over time not to be so modest. I'm a woman, and I've had doctors, male and female, look at every part of my body.Likewise, I'm sure your doctor sees naked people every day.

So don't have a freak attack. It could be worse. You could be going in for laser surgery on your hemorrhoids. How you feel about that, eh?

If it's really that difficult for you, I'm sure you can find a male doctor to do the same thing. Try not to think too much of it.

Greenie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness