U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:59 PM

3,687 posts, read 3,932,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You know you might consider yourself lucky that you are even able to see a doctor some of us are not that lucky . I am disabled and I cannot afford my spenddown on my medicaid so therefore I cannot go to the doctor because I cannot affrod the bill at all . So therefore we (my husband and I have no health care at all ) . You are blessed that you are able to go to the dr . take care and I hope it all works out for you .
You're right...I was without healthcare for a while and you're absolutely right. I am thankful that I have the opportunity to even find a doctor...not everyone is that lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 04:04 PM

51,485 posts, read 50,728,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Mightyqueen, I feel the exact same way you do. I don't think it's bizarre at all!!

When I was 33, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Since then, I've had a myriad of issues. Every year, I'd go to all my doctors', have everything checked and scanned and then I'd be fine. But as I approached that one year mark to go get everything checked again, I'd get paranoid to the nth degree. Every little thing made me nervous. Then I'd go, anxiety fits and all, they'd check, I'd be fine for about 11 more months. And the cycle would start again...

THEN...I lost my job about two years ago. I couldn't afford to keep my insurance. Couldn't afford the medication to keep my system in check... well, I've been working for over a year now and been eligible with my insurance for a while... but my total fear of going has kept me from going.

My head is saying "you're being an idiot...just go...do what you have to..." But anxiety pulls me back. Part of my problem is that my doctor retired, her nurse practioner left and I'm stuck finding a new one. In Dallas, I have my pick of about 8 MILLION DOCTORS...that's what it feels like. And I hate finding a new one...that's more anxiety than what could possibly be wrong with me.

What I hate is with all these choices, I seriously don't think I'll find someone who takes the time with me. I really need someone who will keep their schedule pretty tight, but has enough time scheduled with me to answer my questions and fears. Someone who will not say that I'm being a paranoid freak... it's not like I don't have reason to be paranoid... getting cancer at a young age did that to me and it hasn't been a pleasure cruise since.

Well, yesterday, I saw a new oncologist - think I'm probably cancer free still and that's a great blessing. However, my blood pressure is off the charts...so, the immediacy is right here in my face. In fact, I'm biting the bullet and making an appointment today because hey, I don't want to croak. My 45th birthday is next week and I'd hate to uh...have a heart attack.

So...hang in there. You're not alone. Feel free to vent anytime because I KNOW what you're going through...
See, you're the kind of person who makes me know that I'm total effing moron because you've actually faced a terrible disease and had to go through all the treatments that I fear. Your fear is realistic.

You are COURAGEOUS and I am an idiot. Thank you for posting.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You know you might consider yourself lucky that you are even able to see a doctor some of us are not that lucky . I am disabled and I cannot afford my spenddown on my medicaid so therefore I cannot go to the doctor because I cannot affrod the bill at all . So therefore we (my husband and I have no health care at all ) . You are blessed that you are able to go to the dr . take care and I hope it all works out for you .
Oh, I DO consider myself lucky that I have health insurance provided by my employer and for which I pay a minimal amount (it will be going up, but I paid nothing for years). Trust me, I am aware of how fortunate I am for that. My daughter goes to the doctor all the time under my coverage.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:04 PM

842 posts, read 1,052,934 times
Believe me, you should do fine. Doctors in the past were completely ruthless and a few decades ago hospitals were more like butcher shops than hospitals. It's not like that these days. People would never and should never tolerate a doctor yelling at them. I wouldn't tolerate that in any other profession, so doctors are no different. It's not a matter of medical knowledge, it's matter of politeness and professionalism.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 AM

3,687 posts, read 3,932,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
See, you're the kind of person who makes me know that I'm total effing moron because you've actually faced a terrible disease and had to go through all the treatments that I fear. Your fear is realistic.

You are COURAGEOUS and I am an idiot. Thank you for posting.
Thank you and NO, you're not an idiot...don't feel that way...I've sort of become this major stress monster when most of the time, I come out OK. Just bite the bullet and you'll be fine. Remember that there are others out there "holding your hand" while you go through it!!

Oh, and one thing that might help when you make that appointment...ask the scheduler if the doc is usually good at keeping one...my blood pressure and stress increase exponentially when my appt. time comes and goes and I'm waiting and waiting...and on your first time back in a while, you won't want to be sitting in the waiting room having an anxiety attack!!

Old 07-05-2012, 10:45 AM

69,463 posts, read 79,677,903 times
Quote:
OK, I've been obsessing over this for months.

I have not been to see a real doctor for a checkup in years. At least five. My old doctor retired, and then I moved away. I have great health insurance, so that's not a problem.

I am just scared to death of going to the doctor. I feel like a little kid when the doctor we had then used to scream at us to stop crying when we got shots. My retired doctor was very sweet and nice so I wasn't nervous with him, but I don't know what my chances are of finding another nice one. I know I will be scolded for being too fat (though I did quit smoking, even if it was only six months ago) as well as simply for not going to the doctor for so long. I'm also terrified that I will find I have only weeks to live and that's it--poof, it will all be over. I know this isn't logical--my own daughter LOVES to go the doctor and always wants to know if something is wrong with her, but I am the opposite. I cannot even watch medical shows on TV, and the thought of what is inside of us makes me lightheaded. It's happening just typing this. I know there are parts of me (thyroid in particular) that need to get checked out from issues I had ten years ago or so.

I decided to do baby steps--looked up on my healthcare website to see what doctors are here in this area in my plan. There are a number of them. Now I have to pick one and make an appointment. I know I will be in a state of anxiety as soon as I make that appointment.

Does anyone else feel this way? Any ideas on what I could say to a doctor to soften the blow once I get in there? I fear that if I get some snotty doctor that starts yelling at me I am going to run out of his office, but I can't exactly call ahead and say, "Duh, I'm scared of doctors, but I need to make an appointment..."

Don't suggest someone go with me. I don't have anyone like that I could ask (daughter lives three hours away). This is something I have to do alone, and if it does turn out I have something bad, I wouldn't want anyone to know anyway.

Just looking for tricks to keep the anxiety attacks at bay or something I could maybe say to the doctor or his staff so they don't act mean with me.
No, you are not alone. My son in law went years without a check up and the weight was one reason: he had seen a doctor that pretty much told him to lose weight or not come back, so Steve just stopped going. He is better now, but still doesn't get checkups often enough.

I don't like to go either, most of us are not in love wtih seeing a doctor, but it beats ending up in the emergancy room for something that could have been prevented. As for being scolded for your weight, we are lucky, our doctor just says to me: do you think you could lose 5 lbs before your next check up? I always say, I could but will I, you just smiles and of course I rarely do. This time I have though...

I might add, have you checked with any friends concerning what doctors they might recommend or check the net and read the comments from others.

I am guessing you are not dieing, but I think we all worry when we have to see a doctor, especially for the first time. congrats on quitting smoking, I quit 4 years ago, but it took about a dozen tries. I had smoked for about 50 years.

Last edited by nmnita; 07-05-2012 at 10:54 AM..

Old 07-05-2012, 10:48 AM

69,463 posts, read 79,677,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My mom gets anxiety going to the doctor, they call it white coat syndrome. Make the call, tell them your fears and that it's been awhile since your last check up. Not knowing what's going on will cause you more anxiety IMO. I hate the fear of the unknown so that's why I go every year for a full work up and go every year for a momography and GYN check up.
our granddughter, who is an RN and about to be a nurse practitioner (only another year to go) calls it the same, but I will add, the term, according to her is used to discribe people with high blood pressure only when they have to see a doctor. I gues it is about the same.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:37 PM

22,816 posts, read 21,862,642 times
Ahh, I used to work for doctors. Just think of them as the narcissistic, whining, overgrown babies that they are. How many useless bosses and co-workers have you suffered over the years? Imagine them in greens or a lab coat. LOL

Old 07-11-2012, 12:10 PM

Just an update. Big Fat Chicken (hiding disguised as Mighty Queen) ended up HAVING to see a doctor. I was moseying along, taking my baby steps by searching for a doctor on my insurance website, and I came up with a group of four women who best fit the criteria I entered into the search tool on the website. They are located about five minutes from where I live. I also noticed that they are affiliated with an urgent care/walk-in place that's two minutes from where I live.

Meanwhile, I'd broken out about a month ago with psoriasis. Happen during times of stress--after 9/11 chunks of thick skin were falling off my scalp and growing on my feet, even though I kept telling everyone I was 'fine'. It just comes out in my skin, I guess. I got a patch on my right leg, and I kept scratching it, and it kept spreading. Around the same time I realized that I was again fat enough that I feared having to buy bigger clothes, and I can't afford that, so I started to walk at lunchtime. It also started to get very hot around that time. Anyway, the rash on my leg spread, and my foot and then my ankle started to swell, the latter of which I attributed to fat and heat. When I was pregnant, 21 years ago, that foot swelled bigger than the other one, so it all seemed logical. Last weekend I saw my sister and she was looking at my leg and asking me what was wrong with it because not only was the foot swollen, but the ankle and calf were bigger than the other leg, and the "psoriasis" no longer looked like psioriasis but like some weird burn or something. She made me promise her I would get it looked at. So, I walked into the urgent care place on Monday. Felt like a doofus when they asked who my primary care doctor was and I said "Nobody, but I AM planning to use someone affiliated with your place when I get the courage to call her and make an appointment."

The doctor looked at my leg and said, "it's either infected or it's a blood clot". Because I didn't have the pain or inability to walk that is usually associated with a clot, he prescribed giant horse-pill Augmentin for the infection but I still had to get a venous doppler to rule out a clot, too. So there's no clot, just the infection, and after two days I think there is less fluid in the leg--it's not as tight and hard.

Anyway, I went to the doctor AND the radiology place, where I got to have an hour-long anxiety attack thinking "Oh no, they're going to find lymphoma..."

Old 07-11-2012, 12:21 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,725,908 times
Quote:
Just an update. Big Fat Chicken (hiding disguised as Mighty Queen) ended up HAVING to see a doctor. ...
Anyway, I went to the doctor AND the radiology place, where I got to have an hour-long anxiety attack thinking "Oh no, they're going to find lymphoma..."
And Queen Chickadee (not disguised as you) lived to tell about it, yay!

For me, the waiting part, waiting for a diagnosis, waiting to learn about treatment, waiting to hear about prognosis, is the hard part. Going to the doctor in the first place is a breeze. I get much more panicked after I leave the lab, knowing my blood samples are on the way to be checked, and knowing that I might be dying of some serious illness, and no one is calling me RIGHT NOW to tell me so I can get my affairs in order.

It's always a relief when the lab results come in, even if they're not as positive as I had hoped they'd be. Just knowing what's wrong, is a huge weight off my shoulder. And for that reason, I always look forward to going to the doctor.

Congrats on making it through your ordeal though Queen Chick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or