U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:48 PM

51,552 posts, read 50,819,831 times

Advertisements

OK, I've been obsessing over this for months.

I have not been to see a real doctor for a checkup in years. At least five. My old doctor retired, and then I moved away. I have great health insurance, so that's not a problem.

I am just scared to death of going to the doctor. I feel like a little kid when the doctor we had then used to scream at us to stop crying when we got shots. My retired doctor was very sweet and nice so I wasn't nervous with him, but I don't know what my chances are of finding another nice one. I know I will be scolded for being too fat (though I did quit smoking, even if it was only six months ago) as well as simply for not going to the doctor for so long. I'm also terrified that I will find I have only weeks to live and that's it--poof, it will all be over. I know this isn't logical--my own daughter LOVES to go the doctor and always wants to know if something is wrong with her, but I am the opposite. I cannot even watch medical shows on TV, and the thought of what is inside of us makes me lightheaded. It's happening just typing this. I know there are parts of me (thyroid in particular) that need to get checked out from issues I had ten years ago or so.

I decided to do baby steps--looked up on my healthcare website to see what doctors are here in this area in my plan. There are a number of them. Now I have to pick one and make an appointment. I know I will be in a state of anxiety as soon as I make that appointment.

Does anyone else feel this way? Any ideas on what I could say to a doctor to soften the blow once I get in there? I fear that if I get some snotty doctor that starts yelling at me I am going to run out of his office, but I can't exactly call ahead and say, "Duh, I'm scared of doctors, but I need to make an appointment..."

Don't suggest someone go with me. I don't have anyone like that I could ask (daughter lives three hours away). This is something I have to do alone, and if it does turn out I have something bad, I wouldn't want anyone to know anyway.

Just looking for tricks to keep the anxiety attacks at bay or something I could maybe say to the doctor or his staff so they don't act mean with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 01:56 PM

19,652 posts, read 53,695,203 times
Call ahead and tell the office staff that you haven't been to a doc in a long time and that you are afraid of doctors/health issues. Ask if the doctor will be sensitive to your fears. You can kind of tell from their responses if you will be happy there.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:12 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,270,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK, I've been obsessing over this for months.

I have not been to see a real doctor for a checkup in years. At least five. My old doctor retired, and then I moved away. I have great health insurance, so that's not a problem.

I am just scared to death of going to the doctor. I feel like a little kid when the doctor we had then used to scream at us to stop crying when we got shots. My retired doctor was very sweet and nice so I wasn't nervous with him, but I don't know what my chances are of finding another nice one. I know I will be scolded for being too fat (though I did quit smoking, even if it was only six months ago) as well as simply for not going to the doctor for so long. I'm also terrified that I will find I have only weeks to live and that's it--poof, it will all be over. I know this isn't logical--my own daughter LOVES to go the doctor and always wants to know if something is wrong with her, but I am the opposite. I cannot even watch medical shows on TV, and the thought of what is inside of us makes me lightheaded. It's happening just typing this. I know there are parts of me (thyroid in particular) that need to get checked out from issues I had ten years ago or so.

I decided to do baby steps--looked up on my healthcare website to see what doctors are here in this area in my plan. There are a number of them. Now I have to pick one and make an appointment. I know I will be in a state of anxiety as soon as I make that appointment.

Does anyone else feel this way? Any ideas on what I could say to a doctor to soften the blow once I get in there? I fear that if I get some snotty doctor that starts yelling at me I am going to run out of his office, but I can't exactly call ahead and say, "Duh, I'm scared of doctors, but I need to make an appointment..."

Don't suggest someone go with me. I don't have anyone like that I could ask (daughter lives three hours away). This is something I have to do alone, and if it does turn out I have something bad, I wouldn't want anyone to know anyway.

Just looking for tricks to keep the anxiety attacks at bay or something I could maybe say to the doctor or his staff so they don't act mean with me.
If the very thought that some horrible disease is ravaging your body when in reality, if it had been caught in time you'd be fine, doesn't send you immediately to a doctor for a check up - I'm not sure what will my friend

I understand how bad anxiety can be - really I do.

But anxiety is NOTHING compared to the horrors of some diseases and what they could be doing to your body as you wait too long to deal with them.

PLEASE, call a doctor tomorrow.

You must simply force yourself to walk through your anxiety.

Giving in to it is the worst mistake anyone with anxiety ever makes.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:29 PM

16,973 posts, read 19,781,693 times
My mom gets anxiety going to the doctor, they call it white coat syndrome. Make the call, tell them your fears and that it's been awhile since your last check up. Not knowing what's going on will cause you more anxiety IMO. I hate the fear of the unknown so that's why I go every year for a full work up and go every year for a momography and GYN check up.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:50 PM

27,479 posts, read 15,156,703 times
I don't mind going for say . . a sinus infection or something . . but for a complete check-up, etc ~ yes, I am afraid and hate every minute of it.

You might think whether or not you would be more comfortable with male or female.

Probably just one with a good bedside manner!

Old 07-01-2012, 06:59 PM

Good answers, all. I went to the beach and was cringing at the idea that I even posted that.

I feel like such a moron.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:20 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,178,989 times
If at all possible, try to find friends, neighbors, co-workers, anyone to give you a recommendation on which physician to see. A great doctor is priceless!
There is no excuse for a doctor to yell at you. And in my opinion, there's no good reason for a doctor to scold you, especially on a first visit. Remember that you are a paying customer, a client...you are paying for their expertise and information, not to be treated poorly. You have been blessed with good health and it sounds like you have only needed to see two doctors, ever...one horrible and one wonderful. I would like to assure you that I have seen many doctors, and 98% of them are not at all mean, and most are very kind.
If you are not able to choose a doctor based on recommendations, I agree with southernbelle's suggestion - call the office and tell the staff that you get very nervous with doctors, and ask them who their nicest doctor is.
This is a gross generalization, but in my experience, family nurse practitioners are super nice. Might be something to think about too.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:35 PM

14,022 posts, read 17,009,088 times
I find the OP's reaction to the thought of a doctor's visit totally bizarre, and I would suggest counseling. However, I wouldn't wait to locate a counselor and start therapy to make the appointment with a doctor. I agree with others that it would be O.K. and even desireable to share your fears with the receptionist when making the appointment. Just say, "I am afraid of doctors but I need to make an appointment anyway". It will be a way of facing your fear and anxiety. Courage is not the absence of fear; courage is doing what needs to be done despite the fear. George Patton said something like that, but it probably didn't orginate with him.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:24 PM

19,652 posts, read 53,695,203 times
To add to what Christina said, you are the customer and the customer is always right! The days of doctor being "godlike" and you didn't question them is long past. It's your money and if you don't like what you're getting, don't buy, I.e., go to another one.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
If at all possible, try to find friends, neighbors, co-workers, anyone to give you a recommendation on which physician to see. A great doctor is priceless!
There is no excuse for a doctor to yell at you. And in my opinion, there's no good reason for a doctor to scold you, especially on a first visit. Remember that you are a paying customer, a client...you are paying for their expertise and information, not to be treated poorly. You have been blessed with good health and it sounds like you have only needed to see two doctors, ever...one horrible and one wonderful. I would like to assure you that I have seen many doctors, and 98% of them are not at all mean, and most are very kind.
If you are not able to choose a doctor based on recommendations, I agree with southernbelle's suggestion - call the office and tell the staff that you get very nervous with doctors, and ask them who their nicest doctor is.
This is a gross generalization, but in my experience, family nurse practitioners are super nice. Might be something to think about too.
I have had more than two doctors, but I was talking about family-type regular doctors. I have a daughter (now 20) and my ob-gyn was very nice, but I ended up having to have a C-section and it still freaks me out that they CUT ME OPEN and went fishing around in my intestines and whatnot. I am SO thankful that my daughter was healthy and alive, but I remember the horrible helplessness of lying there not even being able to reach my food after she was born (couldn't lift my head because of the spinal). I was starving, and they left food for me on a tray, and then left me alone and I was reaching up with my fingers feeling around for some food and then dropping it into my mouth. Don't know why I'm remembering that, lol. The whole experience of being in a hospital was traumatic. I also had knee surgery once, but that was nothing. I was in at 6 a.m. and out again by 11 a.m. Bones and stuff don't bother me, but organs do.

But you're right, I haven't been really sick, so I guess I am lucky. I can't remember when I last had a virus or the flu or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or