U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:11 PM

15,844 posts, read 4,958,292 times

Advertisements

I get migraine-like headaches but without the aura. The pain is just awful, and I become nauseated and sensitive to light. Regular aspirin doesn't help and Tylenol (with or without codeine) doesn't help much. The only thing that does helps is to lie down in a dark room and go to sleep. When I wake up, the headache is gone.

I was wondering if anyone has tried medical MJ for headaches like this, and if so, did it work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 04:47 PM

29,465 posts, read 33,777,147 times
I have a prescription and I get cluster headaches but the two best non prescription remedies are coconut water (awesome for dehydration) doesn't have the sugar or sodium of Gatorade and acupuncture. I was having a rough spell lately with the heat humidity and being on the road. Got back had a treatment( acpuncture) for the headache and a body adjustment to the heat and humidity and it did wonders.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:54 PM

2,590 posts, read 3,159,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I get migraine-like headaches but without the aura. The pain is just awful, and I become nauseated and sensitive to light. Regular aspirin doesn't help and Tylenol (with or without codeine) doesn't help much. The only thing that does helps is to lie down in a dark room and go to sleep. When I wake up, the headache is gone.

I was wondering if anyone has tried medical MJ for headaches like this, and if so, did it work?

Why don't you see a doctor and get a migraine medication? Headache medicines SPECIFICALLY for migraines, if that's what the docs think you have. They work very well, and are life changing for people with migraines.

You don't need medical MJ... well, at least not for headaches! You need to simply get the correct treatment.

The medicine is imitrex - comes in a pill, nasal spray or injection.

I'd ask your primary care doc for a referral to a neurologist, or look up the nearest medical school/major hospital near you online, find their Neurology department and see which neurologist specializes in headaches. Then call for an appointment.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:22 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,767,816 times
Don't lie down. Sit up in a comfortable chair, head tilted downward a bit toward your chest, close your eyes and try to relax all the muscles from your shoulders up. If there is someone willing to help, ask them to put the palms of their hands on the top of your head, wide open, with gentle pressure, less than the weight of the arms, holding the palms spread over as much of the top of your head as possible, equalizing the pressure over all the contact points. Don't massage, just hold their hands there, careful to keep pressure equal everywhere.

I haven't had a headache in at least 20 years, but that always worked for me, and helped other people.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:09 PM

73,079 posts, read 64,594,439 times
There's powdered aspirin with a little caffeine added: it comes in a box full of serving-size envelopes at the drugstore, it's called BC. That stuff works great!

Ibuprofen is good.

Caffeine is good IF you don't normally use caffeine. If you're not a coffee drinker or a caffeinated tea drinker, then you can use a cup of coffee as a headache remedy. Chocolate that's at least 85% cacao can also work (chocolate has caffeine). Extra strength Tiger Balm rubbed on the headache-y areas can take care of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness