Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:57 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,400 times

Advertisements

I had my sixth kidney stone attack last night. It was my third major one requiring me to go to the ER. All of these have been within the last 4 months.

I don't know what to do for the pain. Hoping I can get some advice from those of you that have had regular kidney stone episodes.

The pain is so intense it always makes me throw up at least once. My second to last episode I got light headed and almost passed out in the ER shortly after intake (before the IV's and meds). My first kidney stone they prescribed me vicodin, which I took during my next attack. It did nothing and I ended up in the ER.

I was eventually prescribed percocet, which I took last night as the pain was getting bad. It also did nothing. I've taken prescription pain killers maybe two other times in my entire life, so I was very surprised they didn't help. I went to the ER and was given morphine which always seems to help.

I asked the doctor in the ER why the percocet didn't do anything, and he said with a stone as big as I was passing (8 mm), no prescription pain killers would even help.

So, every time I have a bad episode, should I just go to the ER? Luckily I have really good health insurance, but each visit comes out to around $15k a pop (I pay maybe $300 of it). Surely multiple of those visits isn't a good thing.

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 06:20 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Have them analyze a stone to see if dietary changes could help. Sorry it's this bad.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
I wish you the best. I know they are terrible.

My husband has had several kidney stones. I understand how painful they are, my husband's aunt has had kidney stones as well as given birth to children, and she says the stones are worse. These days my husband only drinks distilled water. It is important to stay hydrated anytime, but especially during the summer.

Years ago my husband was going through a bad stone, he was green from the pain, but it came and went.
It happened to be the 4th of July when he passed it. He had had 3 glasses of beer at a neighbor's party on our block.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:31 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
They gave my brother a list of foods to avoid, ask them if they haven't done that for you. All I can remember is not to take large doses of vitamin C and I think milk also. Southern Belle has a good idea, see if your doctor has a handout on a good diet for your kind of stones.

I suspect that you shouldn't abruptly go from an acidic diet (veggies, fruits low in minerals) to an alkaline one (milk, fish, meats, tylenol) since that might precipitate stones ........ but that's just an idea I have. (a high level of minerals in foods are what usually make for slightly more alkaline conditions in the body, though diet is far from the most important factor in pH balance). Also, I noticed when I took acetaminophen (alkaline) that "dust" or something cloudy seemed to come out in my urine later.

Last edited by Woof; 07-04-2012 at 06:40 PM..

Old 07-04-2012, 06:40 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
I have suffered from kidney stone for the past 20 years. Some painful, some just urinating blood, some passed, others had to be blasted. Suggest you find a good urologist. There are medicines you can take which will help reduce/dissolve them or keep them from forming.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:02 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
Since your stones seem to be on the large size, your urologist should have examined it to see what you may need to change in your diet or maybe add something to your diet.

I have had them three times and mine were really tiny, I can't even imagine what a 8mm one feels like.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:24 PM

749 posts, read 838,595 times
As mentioned, you need to collect the next stone you pass. Just use a fine mesh strainer for the job. Take it to the urologist and have a workup done on it. Then, and only then can the cause be narrowed down to the point where your diet can be altered in such a way to try and eliminate the reasoning behind the formation of your stones.

Been there, done that. Had two large ones surgically removed from my bladder. After analyzing the stones, the doctor told me to reduce my protein intake - which was up to that time, excessive - and I have now been stone free for going on 5 years now.

Also as mentioned, keeping yourself hydrated with water at all times is a VERY good thing.

Good luck!

Old 07-04-2012, 09:51 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Good advice above. Stay hydrated at all times and see a doctor for what is causing the stones. It's either a dietary problem or prescription drug problem.
I've only had a severe stone attack one time and when I called the doctor he prescribed drinking cranberry juice to break it up and that did work in my case.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:46 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,400 times
Thanks, all.

I've been straining my urine all day, ever since I left the ER, and I haven't passed anything. Very frustrating! Luckily I'm not in pain anymore.

I haven't really had an appetite all day, but I should probably eat something. I'm trying to find a list of foods online that are GOOD to eat when you're prone to kidney stones, but the only information I can find is on what NOT to eat. Also frustrating!

I'm going to contact a Urologist tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to get in soon for an appointment.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:40 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I had my sixth kidney stone attack last night. It was my third major one requiring me to go to the ER. All of these have been within the last 4 months.

I don't know what to do for the pain. Hoping I can get some advice from those of you that have had regular kidney stone episodes.

The pain is so intense it always makes me throw up at least once. My second to last episode I got light headed and almost passed out in the ER shortly after intake (before the IV's and meds). My first kidney stone they prescribed me vicodin, which I took during my next attack. It did nothing and I ended up in the ER.

I was eventually prescribed percocet, which I took last night as the pain was getting bad. It also did nothing. I've taken prescription pain killers maybe two other times in my entire life, so I was very surprised they didn't help. I went to the ER and was given morphine which always seems to help.

I asked the doctor in the ER why the percocet didn't do anything, and he said with a stone as big as I was passing (8 mm), no prescription pain killers would even help.

So, every time I have a bad episode, should I just go to the ER? Luckily I have really good health insurance, but each visit comes out to around $15k a pop (I pay maybe $300 of it). Surely multiple of those visits isn't a good thing.

Help!
You poor thing!!!

You need to find a good urologist who specializes in kidney stones ASAP. It wouldn't hurt if he/she had actually ever had kidney stones themselves - they'll be much more sympathetic and aggressive in helping you if they have!

Here's what you need for now - some Toradol in addition to a much stronger pain killer. Percocet and Vicodin just won't cut it.

For now, if you end up in the ER before you have established with a urologist, request the ER doc give you Toradol right away. But seriously, get a urologist tomorrow so you can cut your suffering time in half, and hopefully prevent future stones.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness