U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 02:48 PM

842 posts, read 525,491 times

Advertisements

I've yet to know a doctor that admits certain procedures are painful. I was talking about this with a friend because of my upcoming surgery.

I can speak of my own father, who is a retired doctor. For him things can be 'slightly uncomfortable' at most, pain is always a patient's exaggeration.

I mean, I can understand if they lie about pain in the private sector. They don't want to scare patients away and lose money. I can understand if they say it to 5 year old children, to get them to cooperate.

But there's no point in lying to adult people, it's better if they are expecting it to be painful. It won't come as surprise. I've heard of stories of patients walking out of certain exams because they weren't warned it would be so painful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 03:10 PM

9,717 posts, read 6,861,639 times
Hey...they lie to you because they're treatin you like a five year old, to get YOU to cooperate....I wouldn't know of any exams that have proved too painful for a patient except possibly mammograms...I've heard that they can be pretty brutal....course surgery and exams are 2 different things.....

Old 07-07-2012, 03:13 PM

842 posts, read 525,491 times
Adults are adults. They shouldn't be treated like that. They should have full knowledge of the procedure, incluing the pain associated with it. Then they can decided if they want to go ahead. Adults should be able to cooperate on their own free will.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:47 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,467,334 times
Pain is for the most part subjective, what one person could stand with no pain killer may be intolerable to another.

With a lot of people, if the doctor said "YEAH, this is going to be very painful", a lot of people would as soon die than have the procedure done.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:03 PM

266 posts, read 208,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Hey...they lie to you because they're treatin you like a five year old, to get YOU to cooperate....I wouldn't know of any exams that have proved too painful for a patient except possibly mammograms...I've heard that they can be pretty brutal....course surgery and exams are 2 different things.....
I don't think doctors lie (necessarily). I've had both knees (done at the same time), a hip and a shoulder replaced, and next week I'm scheduled for the second hip. For the shoulder, I didn't even need tylenol.

I never *expect* pain, but in my experience, doctors were always willing to offer meds and surprised to have them turned down.

As for mammograms...again, for myself I have never even experienced discomfort. The positioning takes some doing though.

(Don't let the "Barney throw you off...he's my dog and has never had a mammogram )

Old 07-07-2012, 05:30 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,784,516 times
Comparatively speaking, some pains are more significant than others. For me, the pain of the needle biopsy on my thyroid, was worse than the recovery from the surgery to remove the thyroid. For me, a mammogram is almost unbearable, and the recovery from surgery following a lumpectomy was a walk in the park. For me, a needle prick (other than that biopsy, so far) for an injection or to draw blood, isn't even worth mentioning, but a shot of novocaine in my gum for dental work is gut-wrenching.

So when the doctor says "this is going to be uncomfortable," it really doesn't mean anything to me. If he says "this is gonna hurt" - it still isn't gonna mean much to me. If my gynecologist says that a cervical exam and swab is going to be uncomfortable, I'll shoot daggers from my eyes. Because for me, cervical swabs HURT.

As long as they let me know I need to prepare for -some- kind of unpleasantness, I'm good with it. Because I'm the only one who can tell whether or not it's gonna be painful, or just uncomfortable. And I won't know which, until they've already done it.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:22 PM

7,489 posts, read 9,379,816 times
I agree that pain is subjective. And some adults even don't want to know the truth. When my mom went in for surgery she asked the doctor not to tell her what she was in for.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:32 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,467,334 times
A couple years ago I had Laparoscopic Hernia Surgery and there was NO recovery pain and it was done out-patient.

Open surgery would have resulted in moderate pain and about a week in the hospital.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:38 PM

659 posts, read 242,499 times
I had a hysteroscopy, I was told it was only be uncomfortable for a minute. I almost punched the doctor! Anyone who has had one with only a local will understand.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:42 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,577,401 times
My Docs have always told me that I might feel discomfort(which I had learned meant some form of pain. When one of my Docs stated that I may feel pressure then pain I knew that I had at last found and honest Doc.

My pain scale differers from many because I have issues with chopping away my large and small bowel, as well as discovering a 27 inch mass in my abdomen. Once the Doc went in he was horrified by the mass that had managed to 'stick' to my organs. I ended up with a total hysterectomy as well as residual sticking on my kidneys, liver and on both lungs. My Doc actually apologized to me for his slow intervention.
In my opinion Doc expect that by the time we become adults we should be able to interpret what "pressure" and "discomfort" means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness